“Canoe Rentals for BWCA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clearwater Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Clearwater Lodge
You added Clearwater Lodge to your Saves list
774 Clearwater Road, Grand Marais, MN 55604   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Canoe Rentals for BWCA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Awesome trip to the BWCA. We entered through Clearwater Lake and rented canoes from Clearwater Lodge. Stayed on Pine Lake and Caribou Lake in early June. We didn't see a single other person for 2 days. Spent my 30th birthday on Pine Lake and saw my first Moose!Staff was great, beautiful area, thanks for all your help!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

A group of us went up to hike the Border Route hiking trail in the BWCAW in May, and despite the lingering ice on the lake we were ferried by boat to our starting point. The end of the trip came more quickly than planned due to bad weather, and the good folks at Clearwater Lodge got us right back into one of the bunkhouses for a hot shower and a dry night's sleep. Great hospitality, and you can't beat the breakfasts!

Room Tip: Some of the bunkhouse rooms have their own bathroom, some don't--ask ahead if it matters to you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We arrived at Clearwater Lodge on 5/18 to find a good deal of ice still on the lake. It rained and the wind blew for several days. And, we had a splendid time! We hiked (sometimes in almost knee deep water because of the wet weather), fished, canoed (when the weather cleared) and visited nearby Grand Marais. The cabin was very comfortable, and the view couldn't be beat! We would love to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The revival of this historic gem, by the current owners and staff, is to be commended. They have truly embraced their roll as stewards of this beautiful lodge and surrounding land. This is truly a one of a kind experience. The lodge is nearly 90 years old and their outfitting business began in 1915. If you really want to experience the Gunflint Trail, Clearwater Lodge should be your choice. Whether you stay in the lodge or one of their amazing cabin, or allow them to assist you with your canoeing adventure, your Clearwater experience will be unmatched and unforgettable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Traveled to this lodge during the past summer with my daughter and her husband. We stayed in Cabin 3. The lake was beautiful, I had never been to Minnesota and was amazed at the beauty. We didn't even fish, but we loved being on the lake. I enjoyed spending time in the lodge and hearing some of the old stories, reminded me a bit of back when I was younger. I was a bit disappointed by one thing, I expected to see more wildlife. We only saw 3 bears, some deer and a couple of foxes. I was expecting to see a moose. I asked the owner, and he said moose sightings are becoming rarer. I really enjoyed getting up in the morning and listening to birds and a duck like bird that I was told was called a loon. We did a short hike in the area, a place called honeymoon hill. I have a bad leg and still managed to get up the steps to the top, real pretty view from on top. We took a day and drove around, we were looking for moose and went to a museum that was at the end of the road. The museum was really nice and interesting. We also spent a day and went into Grand Marais and went shopping. I even found a nice quilt store, I bought some fabric and made a small quilt to remember my trip. I live pretty far away and am in my late 80s, so I will probably never get back, but will always remember this lake and the lodge.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tolleson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My family (all 21 of us) really enjoyed our Boundary Water experience at Clearwater Lodge. 9 did the whole experience by canoeing in, but the rest stayed in the cabins. Very nice cabins. Rustic feel, but updated. Supplied with all living items needed to cook with, clean soft towel to shower with. We did this trip in July. We fished, canoed, had camp fire, ate great pastries. I learned how to use leeches to fish with thanks to our outfitters friendly repetitive advise. A very memorable trip and if I didn't live in Arizona this would be an annual vacation spot. Only gave 4 stars on sleep quality because we had cramped space with my huge family. Otherwise it would have been 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Long overdue: Our group of three men took Room A from July 2 - July 5. This was our first visit the boundary waters area.

We saw a Moose. We ate pie. We ate one of those big flat fish that are popular up there — and look on a plate like a flayed tennis racket. We paddled about in chilly water. We motor boated to the end of Clearwater Lake. We [tried] to read some tattered paper backs. We climbed a bluff. We played the Game of Life. We met a large group who'd been coming to this lodge for three generations — and approved of the "present management."

The truth is, Casey and Adam know what they are doing and they know how to treat guests.
Now, Adam, I could have done without kiddy time on the porch in the later afternoons having put up with their rambunctiousness all morning long, but, hey, this is a family place and all are welcome. But point me to a hammock by the lake next time that allows me escape.

On a Diversity Note, "we" were a long married gay couple and a very light in the heels traveling companion whose outer limits of "roughing it" were that porch, the mosquitos and no Central AC. Still, we all loved it. We felt comfortable and welcome at all times.

The Secret Weapon of Clearwater Lodge? What distinguishes this place from the other Stuffed Moose Head infested lodges of the Gunflint Trail. Her name is Gloria. This long time local gal can cook mean mixed berry pie and slap down some delicious eggs and french toast.

Oh — and did I say we saw a moose? We saw a moose. Adam says siting them is rare nowadays. But we got a hazy photo. She/he looked like a nine foot tall alien. Or Susquatch. On four very, very long legs. Score one for the gay boys. Go team!

Room Tip: Don't give up. This place is at the end of a long well packed unpaved road. During hot months in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
AdamVT, Owner at Clearwater Lodge, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thanks Todd for your review. It was a pleasure visiting with you and your companions at the lodge. And I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Gloria, she loves hearing that people love her food. Thanks again for taking the time to write us a review.

Been to Clearwater Lodge? Share your experiences!