“Cross River Lodge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cross River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Cross River Lodge
You added Cross River Lodge to your Saves list
196 N. Gunflint Lake Road, Grand Marais, MN 55604 (Formerly Moosehorn Lodge)   |
Pittsburg, Kansas
“Cross River Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We spent a month at Cross River Lodge last summer (2011) and stayed in one of the cabins. It was no doubt the best vacation of our lives! We're going again this summer (2012) and are counting the days. John, Rose, Paula, and Doug are fantastic hosts. It wasn't long before we thought of them as family. My husband loves to fish and I love to hike We both love berry picking. There are canoes available free--first come, first serve, and also pontoon boats to rent. There are so many advantages to staying at Cross River. We checked out ALL the area cabins and lodges as far away as Grand Marais and CR was by far the best choice in every category. All the comforts of home in the Minnesota "wilderness." And a great break from the oppressive heat of Southeast Kansas!

Room Tip: If you want to bring pets, let them know ahead of time--they are very pet friendly. They allow pets...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Tampa Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011 via mobile

Really beautiful and friendly place with the best continental breakfast we ever had! We stayed in a very clean two bedroom cottage/effiency with pot bellied stove and deck overlooking quiet lake. Offered many free activities to guest: paddle boats, canoe etc. beautiful lodge for guests to visit/watch tv/read. The owners/hosts were fabulous!

• Stayed August 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Cross River Lodge for the past 2 years as a comfortable, relaxing retreat after several days of backpacking the BWCA. Doug and Paula have always made our stay a memorable one. This last year, our backpacking trip was cut short a day because of a series of follies on the trail; they were so accommodating despite us arriving unexpectedly a day early. We were so appreciative and really enjoyed our extra day in the cabin. Doug recommended a great day trip by canoe to some lovely falls and a blueberry knoll. Our pup also loves Cross River too! Thank you!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I’ve been meaning to write a review about our wonderful time at Cross River Lodge since we stayed there over July 4th weekend (2011), but time got away from me. It’s truly a testament to the superb customer service and beautiful accommodations we received that I am taking the time to write this now!

John, Rose, Paula and Doug are extremely kind, and go out of their way to make sure your stay exceeds expectations. Going to Cross River Lodge is like visiting old friends. We were fortunate to be there for an excellent BBQ on July 4, and had the opportunity to chat with many neighbors and fellow guests. We still tell people about the great ribs and the hilarious stories that were shared. Reviewers have also written about the breakfast, which was fresh and filling, but it’s worth mentioning that Rose’s chocolate chip cookies are amazing. They are really, REALLY good.

We stayed in a lodge room – the Angler – which was larger than I expected from the pictures on the site. Even though it is above the lodge, it was extremely quiet and peaceful – and clean. Having stayed in many different resorts along the North Shore and Gunflint, this is by far the best value. We can’t wait to return!

PS: Bring bug spray. We had the lighter type, and it’s not good enough. Luckily, John was kind enough to share his Deep Woods Off.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Talk about CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I had to cut my summer trip short from Cross River Lodge due to a phone call from my wife, about her mother suddenly passing away. The night I had to leave the lodge we were about to sit down to some incredible bar-b-q ribs when I got the call, John and Rose packed a to-go care pack for me, including the ribs, they were incredible, and made sure that I was comfortable for my long drive home. I thought the facilities and location were superb, fishing was off a bit, only because of the foul weather that was not normal. We did catch walleye and pike and enjoyed being on the water! John just stopped by my place of business in MO to check in on me and ask about my family and ask when I was coming back. I met John for the first time at the Lodge and felt like we had been friends for a long time and he just made me feel that way again today! This place is where you want to go for a great get away, my cabin was first class, very comfortable. Thank you John and Rose!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the Cross River Suite for our first anniversary the 2nd week of October. It was an all around awesome experience and a wonderful place to truly "get away from it all." We enjoyed multiple meals at the very underrated Bistro at the Gunflint Lodge. The wAlleye quesadillas, wAlleye sandwich, walleye chowder, and buff chic wrap were all above average. And cheap! Service was a lil below avg. the best dining was at The Trail Center Lodge, hands down! I reviewed it, so if you want, take a gander! We hiked many trails within minutes of the lodge. Nature at its best!! Unfortunately, the owners were on their way out (down south) while we were arriving, so we barely crossed paths....next time i'd love to try these ribs read i about! See how they compare to Trail Center's bomb biggities!!! I'd say go check out their Sunday night rib special, but there's a chance, albeit extremely slight, I may be there....and I can't have you steal our spot!! The gentleman tending to the lodge was very kind and showed us nearby trails that were epic! All in all, Cross River lodge is the perfect place to stay if you are looking for peace, quiet, serenity, and a mysterious sourrounding.

• Stayed October 2011
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

My wife and spent our anniversary weekend at the lodge. We were there 20 years earlier, John and Rose have really made great improvements to this wonderful resort. Their wonderful hospitality made us feel like family in for a visit. We stayed in the newly remodeled Wolfs Den cabin it is just beautiful in every way. The breakfast was wonderful especially the local blueberries. On our last night there I went on the deck after a short rain storm and while standing there realized I was expereiencing total silence! Living in the suburbs this was such a lovely and peaceful moment, it's hard to describe. Thank you for opening your wonderful corner of the world to us. Next time we'll take you up on that bottle of wine.
Jane and Bill

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cross River Lodge? Share your experiences!