“Good BWCAW starting point” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Attractions in Grand Marais
Type: Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Canoeing
More attraction details
Owner description: Entry point to many lakes in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
“Good BWCAW starting point”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We entered the BWCAW from here, and its a beautiful lake. Because of its very irregular shape and many islands, its hard to find the Lizz portage, but you'll get there eventually!

Visited August 2012

Chicago, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
“beautiful, heavenly lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

thank goodness this was the last stop on our trip. we (rented from an outfitter) kayaked this gorgeous lake for two days. It is oddly shaped with about 20 islands, creating beautiful nooks and crannies and vistas every which way you look. We saw a few canoeists and although the lake allows motors, it was quiet and peaceful during our stay.

beautiful lake and loon song is all I ask from a vacation. They have canoes to rent as well as a pontoon boat.

If you go, stay at the Norwester cabins!

Visited August 2011
Orlando, Florida
46 attraction reviews
“Great place to visit and get away from it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

My wife and I did a two week tour of several cities in Minnesota, including Grand Marais, Duluth & Hibbing. We were up there to escape the Florida heat and didn't really know what we were going to do, but turned out to have a really great vacation. Please see my other posts regarding lodging, meals, etc. if you are interested in a similar trip.

We spent a few days at the Poplar Creek B&B. Perfect area to hike, mountain bike, canoe, snow shoe, XC ski, etc. Just get up there and explore.

Schaumburg, IL
“Five in a row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

My wife and I have vacationed at the Norwester on Popular Lake for five years and are going back this summer for a 10 day stay.

The Norwester and the lake are a great place to watch, listen, and just be, plus spend as much time as you want tekking about, ghosting along the lake, or exploring the back roads.

I have only seen one jetski and that was for an hour or so over a couple of days, so the lake is peaceful.

A good spot to get recentered.

If you are a family of mixed ideas of what it take to vacation the nearby village of Grand Marais offers plenty or eats, places to shop, and places to park with a cup of great coffee while the spouse lingers in the stores.

Grand Marais is a little piece of Cape Cod in MN.

G & D R.

Minnesota
“Serenity Now”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

I have been up to Poplar Lake 3 times, stayed at Old Northwoods Lodge. Everything is great. The dogs run out to meet you, no doors are locked, in fact they don't even have locks, the sauna is open and warm, just take a canoe if you want one. The other side of the spectrum from red tape and frustration. The lake itself is a gem. Take a canoe out for sure.
There are large open areas, there are tons of little islands and bays where you can just glide through on your canoe. I even saw a loon "fly" under my canoe. I also saw a bald eagle try to catch a duck, wow. There is decent fishing, I caught a Northern Pike and a Small Mouth Bass. Also provides access to the BWCA. The BWCA is truly, truly, truly, a gift of a place. Go there and respect it.
You can also go to Grand Marais (eat at Sven & Ole's), go running, hiking, biking, berry picking, cross country skiing, or sightseeing (check out Honeymoon Bluff). There are great things to do all around Poplar Lake and the Grand Marais / Gunflint Trail area.

( I have also stayed at Loon Lake Lodge, Bearksin Lodge, and Gunflint Pines, loved them all, they are on lakes close to Poplar)

Been to Poplar Lake? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Poplar Lake, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.