“Best B&B in Grand Marais!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast
You added MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
520 W Second Street . P.O. Box 1270, Grand Marais, MN 55604   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Grand Marais B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago
“Best B&B in Grand Marais!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

We enjoyed two nights at this wonderful B&B during our lodge-to-lodge hiking trip. Max and Sherri were the most gracious and warmest of hosts anyone could hope for, and they spoiled us rotten with their delicious gourmet breakfasts. Our room was huge and our bed was as soft as a cloud! We recommend the MacArthur House Bed & Breakfast to anyone staying in Grand Marais!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

My girlfriend and I recently spent two nights at the MacArthur house and had a wonderful time. Owners Max and Sheri were extremely kind and down-to-earth. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms, the Birch Room, which was still very spacious and had its own bathroom. The place was spotless, food was incredible. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We have stayed with Sherri & Max before & it is always such a pleasure. They are friendly & welcoming to all their guests and are extremly gracious hosts. The rooms are very clean & comfortable & the breakfast is excellent. ( The peach french toast is to live for! ) We enjoy staying here because they love their town and enjoy a great reputation among the locals! Max is a great musician and plays his violin at some of the local restaurants- we were lucky enough to be invited to a "private" concert as Max & Sherri invited some of their friends for a get together on their deck- it was a great time & I would recommend this place for any one who isn't a loner or curmudgeon!

midwest minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Very nice and clean rooms. Owners were very friendly and courteous. Beautiful sunny rooms to wake up in. Recommend to all who love pampering glorious mornings.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I've stayed at MacArthur House many times over the past few years, most recently this past weekend. Hosts Max and Sherri were warm, gracious and welcoming, as they are to all their guests. They've achieved the fine balance of making guests feel comfortable in their home and at the same time giving them all the privacy they want. I've never been diappointed in my stay at the MacArthur House. All the rooms are beautiful, cozy and inviting, plus it's on a quiet street and convenient to everything in Grand Marais. And if you're wondering where to eat or hike or play in the snow, just ask the hosts and you'll get lots of great information!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

My wife and I stayed 2 nights last week. I am noted for being a bit difficult and opinionated but I must say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay with Max and Sherri. The room was spacious and exceptionally clean with an amazing view. Maybe a little pricey for a B & B but you get what you pay for.....excellent service....tasty food......and hosts who make you feel welcome. They both sat done and carried on a long conversation with us both about the local restaurants, sights, activities and more importantly culture and history. Sherri and myself could have talked all day long. We will be recommending Macarthur House, Grand Marais, Mn.!!

Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Looking online for a b&b near Thunder Bay, I came across The Macarthur House in Grand Marais. They had a room available for the night I wanted, so I booked it. I had no problems with email communications and making the arrangements from our home in South America.

On the northwestern shore of Lake Superior, Grand Marais is a scenic little artists' community, a treasure about 1.5 hrs south of Thunder Bay. The Macarthur House is 3 or 4 blocks uphill from the lake, an easy walk, but I had been hoping it was actually on the lakeshore itself. No matter, as it was a 5 minute walk to the marina and all the shops and restaurants. Max and Sherri, the owners, provide a nice list of available activities and recommended restaurants in the area.

When we arrived, Max and Sherry greeted us and took us on a tour of the beautiful house in "downtown" Grand Marais. Our room, the Superior Room, was the second largest, after the 2 bedroom suite on the top floor. We had a spectacular view of the lake and town, as well as spacious high-ceilinged rooms. The selling feature for me, considering the cost, was the jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. I know b&b's that are well-maintained are costly during high season, so this room was reasonable, if a little more than I had planned to spend. Still, for the comfort and beauty, it was worth it.

I'm a very light sleeper, so I have to make special note that the mattress and bed linens were comfortable, and even with the window open, there was no significant noise from the streets.

Other than the bedroom, the breakfast is the next most important thing about staying at a b&b. The morning we were there, the special was (I think I've got this right) oven-baked French toast with peaches, as well as a roasted baby-potato salad. There was something else as well, but since I'm pregnant, I went to town on fruit and the delicious French toast. The coffee was fresh and tasty but slightly on the weak side which seems to be the norm for this part of the world; there was also juice and water, and I think tea, provided. The dining table seated the 8 or 10 guests staying over that same night... not quite a full house but close.

Other amenities were the use of the DVD/video collection (tv and equipment in each room), a few board games, puzzles, and books, and something we didn't use: the outdoor patio with chairs and table.

I'd recommend this b&b (and Grand Marais in general) to any traveler. Possibly not the best choice for families with young children, but for larger groups there is the upstairs suite. And as one last note, even though we knew there were cats in the house and my husband is very allergic, we didn't see so much as a single hair and he had no negative reaction whatsoever.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!