“Restful weekend in Grand Marais” 4 of 5 stars
Review of MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast
520 W Second Street . P.O. Box 1270, Grand Marais, MN 55604   |
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“Restful weekend in Grand Marais”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The MacArthur house provides clean spaces and friendly service. It is a change from many of the more "ornate" B&Bs out there, but it is comfortable. The rooms seem a bit sterile in the decor, but most importantly they are clean with private bathrooms. I didn't really check out other accommodations in the area, but the price here seemed reasonable. The breakfast is basic, but good. The owner was very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Shakopee, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We spent 3 wonderful nights and had a fabulous time. Our hosts were so pleasant that it really made us feel that we were at home. The food was beautifully prepared and was delicious. Our room was just ideal--could not have been better !!. The North Shore and Grand Marais are beautiful parts of this country and MacArthur House make time spent here even more enjoyable . We will definitely be back.
PS-ratings below give an excellent rating for swimming pool and fitness center. There are neither but it was an error on my part but the website didn't allow me to change to no rating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We checked in to the MacArthur House on an unseasonably warm day in Grand Marais. We were escorted to our third floor suite. My husband politely asked if there was air conditioning. The reply was - No, perhaps you want to stay at the Best Western, we want you to be happy. We were shocked an inn keeper would provide this type of response. We did not feel welcome. We did stay. The suite and breakfasts provided were adequate.

Room Tip: The third floor suite does not have a door, it is open to the stairway. You can lock the bedroom do...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
smax7737, Owner at MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
This review made me feel terrible because of my communication with our guest. I was surprised when I read this review. I normally do not write back. But, this time I feel the need to explain my side of the conversation. The guests did check in on an unusually hot day. When we got to the third floor suite the husband asked me "Is there air conditioning?" I replied "No, sorry we do not have air conditioning." He let out a heavy sigh and left the room without a word. I was concerned about them being happy without air conditioning. So I suggested Best Western because they have air conditioning. I told the wife I was just trying to make sure they were happy. I apologized for the weather. She said "It's all right, he's just crabby." I suggested they move both fans to the bedroom where he went. She said "He just needs a nap." Our main goal is for our guests to be happy. If you read our other reviews you'll realize we are very committed to our life. I did apologize again the next day. My husband always tells me you can't control the weather. We have been inn keeping for 13 years. We love our guests, home and our business.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just got married a little over a week ago, and were looking to do a "mini-moon" somewhere up North since we really didn't have the time or the money for a big trip. Our experience with Max and Sherri at MacArthur House was truly wonderful and probably the best value I have ever gotten for lodging. The whole house was incredibly clean and well kept, and our room was a great size for us with a table and a mini-fridge, which we got great use out of. The breakfasts were also amazingly delicious, and we really enjoyed our time chatting with our hosts and other travelers at the dining room table. Max and Sherri are incredibly kind, fun, and hospitable. They knew everything there was to know about what to do and to eat in the area. They also gave us champagne, chocolate, and supplies for our hikes up the Gunflint Trail. The experience couldn't have been better. We will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed August 2013
Lino Lakes, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Max and Sherri were the best hosts ever!! The atmosphere was laid back and so relaxing, perfect for a romantic getaway. The Superior Room was spacious, airy and just beautiful with the view of the lake. The food was outstanding. Our hosts were also very helpful in letting us know which attractions to visit, which restaurants they liked the best. This was a wonderful experience and we will visiting this B&B again. You wont be sorry you picked this B&B!!

Central Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at MacArthur House in early July. I have stayed at a lot of b & b's in my travels; it is my preferred accommodation. This is one of the better ones.

I was traveling alone after a workshop 30 miles away to do added hiking and sightseeing, so I selected their smallest, least expensive room (the North Shore Room, 2nd floor). At $84 for a single person it is a good value for this tourist area. The room was adequately furnished (functional, not luxuriously), but was very comfortable and had a beautiful view of the town, harbor, and lake. The whole b & b is very clean; one reason is the policy of asking guests to park their shoes by the first-floor door. Since that's my policy at home, I know it keeps floors clean, and that was the effect here. A positive for me. They make some effort at sustainability (e.g., no a/c, not really needed at Grand Marais); I noted Dr. Bronner's organic soap in the dispenser. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom a bit small but quite adequate. The b & b was totally quiet, as is the whole community; I slept really well. Added bonuses: free long-distance phone service, free high-speed internet access. Downstairs public areas are spacious and pleasant, though I didn't make much use of them.

The two breakfasts were very good and quite excellent respectively, and filling for my days of hiking. The host was warm and welcoming and made all the guests feel at ease. The location is very convenient: in a quiet residential neighborhood 2 blocks off Highway 61. It is a short 2.5 block walk to the Angry Trout (first-rate, well-known restaurant - see my separate review) and North House Folk School; you can easily walk to the small downtown.

I looked in at all but one of the other rooms (the first night only one other room was occupied). All were modern, clean, looked beautiful, and seemed well equipped.

In sum, an excellent b & b, it will be my first choice next time I'm back in Grand Marais.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have views of the town/harbor, so be sure to ask when you reserve if that is impor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at the MacArthur House and enjoyed ourselves. Max and Sheri are great hosts and the food was outstanding. It is exactly what we hoped as we traveled north from Minneapolis to the Gun Flint Trail. We recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!