“Classic Northshore Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Naniboujou Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Naniboujou Lodge
Save Saved
You added Naniboujou Lodge to your Saves list
20 Naniboujou Trail, Grand Marais, MN 55604   |
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Classic Northshore Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

How refreshing to check in at a hotel and not see TV's, people on laptops and mobile devices. First, there is no cell phone service at the Naniboujou Lodge(there is in Grand Marais 15 miles to the South), no TV, no phones in the rooms and no bar. One can have alcohol in the rooms if you bring it. What they do offer is the most gorgeous lakeviews of Lake Superior in a pristine setting. Famous people stayed here in the late '20's: Jack Dempsey, Ring Lardner and Babe Ruth when it was a private club. It's beautifully preserved and the dining room is a wonder and the huge solarium is perfect for reading, games and puzzles. Certain types of people stay here-those seeking quiet, relaxation and serenity. I found a book in their library on trout fishing and I don't even fish and I could hardly put it down. This is the place to de-stress. There were families with babies and children and lots of older adults and all looked like they were having a very nice get-away. My only complaint is the little odd, penny-pinching things the lodge does such as serve complimentary coffee in the lobby from 7 to 8 am only, and the miniscule bath soap and having to ask for shampoo. But then who can complain about paying $115 in high season for a lakeview, fireplace room?

Room Tip: In high season, book early. Open year-round-would be incredibly lovely in the autumn.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Minneapolis, Mn.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We got there a bit later in the evening so didn't take advantage of all the things they have there, including a solarium, restaurant, etc.

The knotty pine they have in the place is great. Loved that. But the room is pretty small and a bit older.

It is right next to Lake Superior and just across the street from a great state park, which we were able to take advantage of.

Great locaton, but not a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
St Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Naniboujou is beautiful. The building....the expanse of the grounds and the views of the lake.
I think I could have overlooked a few things, if my initial experience with the reservation clerk via the telephone had gone better. She was rude and impatient as I asked questions. I attempted to choose a room from their website, not really knowing which wing was which. I wanted something quiet and ignorantly assumed that all their rooms would be (come on - we're out in the woods!) Silly me. They have a great restaurant and that means noise. We stayed above the kitchen, and would have loved the room in the winter, but not in July when we needed to have the windows open 24/7. The only time it was quiet was after 10pm and before 6am. Constant hum/noise from the outdoor kitchen venting etc....(could a partial roof be installed to bounce the noise away from the building??) Aside from that, we liked the food, the waitstaff (yeah Sarah!), the English Tea in the afternoon, the Solarium, the Sleep Number bed and the waterfront. Our fireplace room was larger then some that we saw, but the shower was itsy bitsy. If you dropped the soap, you would have to open the door in order to pick it up. I did not notice on the website, whether it said shampoo wasn't provided. We did not get any. I thought they did a marvelous job of keeping the place in good repair. It must take a lot of work just to touch up the paint. We commented on the noise in our room, upon checkout, and were told we should stay in a different one next time. I thought that was a very poor response. A bit of empathy would have gone a long way. Perhaps it was the same woman who took my reservation. I would return for a meal, but would stay in Grand Marais.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Remer, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

So three girlfriends and I celebrated a momentous birthday together with a trip along the North Shore in Minnesota. We stayed one night at Naniboujou Lodge just north of Grand Marais, MN. This hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places. Wow! It is truly a hidden gem. The rooms were clean, safe, affordable, and cheerful hotel staff. The highlight was dinner in the Naniboujou great room, painted in bright primary colors of Cree Indian designs, with Minnesota's largest native rock fireplace as the centerpiece. As you walk in, the room absolutely takes your breath away. The menu was delightful, food delicious and wait staff friendly and efficient. The hotel is located right on Lake Superior so you can walk along the beach looking for agates and there is a state park nearby for hiking. Please note: there is no tv or internet coverage, so you may go thru temporary withdrawal from the world at large, but perhaps a pleasant respite from life's demands.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Avon, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I made my reservation on March 20th, asking for 2 rooms of the east side, facing the lake, and I asked more than once if I would be facing the lake. This was our second time at Naniboujou. everything was great the first time. But very upset this time. I would never again tell people to go there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Chante26
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Ah - to sit by Lake Superior or read a book in the Naniboujou Lodge Lounge is my idea of a great weekend! This is the place to go for that perfect tranquility to just leave your cell phones and computers at home.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Amery
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed for their "Winter Weekend", which is a two night, five meal package. Our room was very nice. The problem was the food. First of all, we had eaten there many times and were always thrilled with the food. We didn't know ahead of time that we wouldn't be choosing from a menu and that each meal would be costing over $25.00. Not one of the meals were worth that amount....a pasta dinner, scrambled eggs + sausage breakfast, a bag lunch with a sandwich & fruit, and a steak Diane dinner. The dinner was the only meal that came close to being worth the money. We were also charged a more than generous gratuity upon checking in. We had some special dietary needs. While we were asked about them, little was done to accommodate them. We found the weekend to be overpriced, and won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a lakeside room!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Naniboujou Lodge? Share your experiences!