“Great winter trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bearskin Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Bearskin Lodge
You added Bearskin Lodge to your Saves list
124 E Bearskin Rd, Grand Marais, MN 55604   |
Mankato, Minnesota, United States
“Great winter trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our groups 3rd year at Bearskin. Great staff, helpfull, friendly and accomidating. We love that we are off the grid no cells, or televisions. In case of emergency there is always a way to connact the "rest of the world". We have tried other lodges, but have decided that Bearskin has everything we need and more. Love the skiing and hope to try snowshoeing or sledding next year!

Room Tip: We have a large group and enjoy that we can accomidate us all in the lodge townhome.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Layla P

Beaufort, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We did not stay at this lodge but used their rentals and activities. We did their pasta night, which was very romantic. It was very good, but I actually enjoyed the bread the best. I am Italian, so I can be bias. The lasagna was ok. It was a bit burned and lacked some flavor and the same for the penne and vodka sauce...a bit bland. But it was appreciated after a long drive to the lodge. The desert outshines the dinner...fruites of the forest was yummy. The best part of bearskin is the beautiful lodge inside. Very homey and well maintained. I feel they are a bit overpriced, but we were willing to pay. We did their xcounty ski trails two days and mushing (dog sleeding) another day. Both were amazing. I wish I could go back and do it again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Longano
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at Bearskin Lodge for the first time and had a wonderful experience from start to finish. The accommodations are welcoming and cozy but also very clean. The owners and staff are helpful and friendly. And the cross-country skiing was amazing. We started on what we thought would be a short jaunt and ended up skiing over six miles in the sparkling sunshine. It was a really magical time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Terry552
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We love Bearskin Lodge! For the second year we rented a cabin in late November and it proved to be another great trip. Late November is a quiet time at the lodge and is just perfect for winter activities and relaxing by the fire. The area is beautiful, the cabins are fantastic, the owners and staff are very helpful and friendly. What more can you want?! We are planning a 3rd visit in 2013.

Room Tip: They have a pretty wide variety of cabins so look online, they have good descriptions and photos of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fleurdlee
New Ulm, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our first time at Bearskin lodge but we have stayed at many different places in Northern Minnesota and this was by far the best! We stayed in cabin #9. It was modern, cozy, comfortable, and immaculate! The stone fireplace made out stay extra special. We also enjoyed the ability to have our own private time in the large hot tube and sauna. The staff was helpful and friendly but also gave us the space we needed to enjoy our vacation without interruption. I would highly recommend getting a massage at the main lodge-so wonderful! We will be back again for sure. If you are looking for a quiet get away from the world this is the place to be.

Room Tip: stay in cabin #9
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jamimarie13
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My (new) fiance and I just returned from a 4 day trip to Bearskin Lodge. We had an amazing time--and we got engaged! We stayed in Cabin #5 and it was perfect--cozy and warm and we had a fire going the entire time we spent in the cabin. The interior is very warmly decorated and has a great rustic feel. Also, as a Northwoods cabin should be, there is no TV, no cell service and only limited internet connectivity (fine for e-mail and Facebook) at the main lodge. The views of bearskin lake and the surrounding forest is breathtaking, and there is quietness there I can only describe as "pitch black" and absolute. The beauty is too much to describe so I would only say, go experience it for yourself! We also enjoyed the fact that the hot tub really is private as time slots are reserved throughout the day (incidentally, most were open so it wasn't a problem getting a time at all). As far as hiking goes, nearby Honeymoon bluff is a short, fairly easy ascent to a spectacular view. Just a couple of miles further is the Caribou Rock trail, which is difficult to very difficult in spots but offers an amazing hiking experience with extremely rewarding photo opportunities. About 1 hour and 15 minutes into this hike, however, we came across a yet unidentified animal that we heard give a loud, low growl-ish sound. The animal had big lungs because of the resonant quality of it, and the guy back at the the lodge thought it was probably a moose. Either way--moose, bear or Sasquatch--it ended our hike post haste! We didn't get a chance to eat at the lodge, so I can't speak to the quality of food. The staff were nice, but not particularly outgoing or friendly which did surprise me a little bit. I expected a hearty handshake and a vibrant "welcome!" as well as a "we hope you had a great time, come stay with us again!" but instead received pretty subdued versions of both. My fiance and I both felt a neutrality of our presence there which was a little disappointing. However, our overall impression was very positive and we will be back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathon K
Northfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

It had been seven years since my last visit to Bearskin, and the ownership had just changed. It was good to see that the new owners have kept everything good about this escape, and made investments to improve the overall quality of the property. I stayed, alone, in one of the smaller cabins. The place was immaculate, with plenty of firewood and a well stocked kitchen. While the resort was about half-full during my stay, it was absolutely quiet and peaceful. The staff was very attentive to my needs, comforts and questions. I was looking for a few days by myself to unwind, and that's exactly what I found here.

Room Tip: When deciding how large of a cabin you require, subtract two from the number of people the website i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Cascade Lodge
Cascade Lodge
#2 of 4 in Lutsen
4.0 of 5 stars 212 reviews

Been to Bearskin Lodge? Share your experiences!