“Ho-Hum” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Woodbury
“Ho-Hum”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

It's been 6 years since I've been there, and will be at least another 6 before I go back. The food was plain and uninspiring (ribs were tender, but the sauce was poured over the ribs once they were on the plate) and pricey. There were 3 wait staff on, 2 had no idea what they were doing. They didn't know what went with meals, asked what type of dressing I wanted with a Ceaser Salad. Wine list was small, they were out of the majority of what was on the list. Atmosphere is fine, its in an old house that was from a well-to-do early family. I agree with a previous review, have the burger and avoid the over priced food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Saint Michael, Minnesota
“Perfect evening out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

My husband and I had a Mother's Day weekend trip to Lutsen, and decided to take a trip into Grand Marais the Saturday before Mother's Day. We were very pleased with the service (exceptional waitress), and the food was absolutely amazing. From the entree to our dinner, we had an amazing dinner for our honeymoon/Mother's Day dinner. We will definitely visit the restaurant again every year for our anniversary. Thank you for making our trip very memorable!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Central Canada
“A decent French baguette would have made it just perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

This was my third visit to Birch Terrace Supper Club in the past 6 years and the first time back in a few years. I had tripped over "trip advisor" while looking for their phone number and was surprised by the negative review I read. My experience with BTSC had always been a positive one... Nonetheless we did check out one of the better reviewed establishments (Chez-Jude) on the first evening (we were skiing and staying at Lutsen for the new-years weekend) of our stay in the area. For our second evening I decided to revisit my old favorite. Everyone in our party was simply blown away by the warm atmosphere, friendly staff and simply delicious food... Generous portions made it difficult to finish our meals (you MUST try the Red Russian Alaskan King Crab). We're glad we indulged and had the sinful and decadent chocolate cake... WOW.

A few things: [1] The 7 ounce New York is a little thin, go for the sensational 14 ounce instead. [2] A decent French Baguette would have made the succulent Mussels even better and [3] The Saturday Prime Rib was a hit with the two of us who ordered it.

Unpretentious, amazing fireplace (REAL WOOD!), Delicious food AND "Prairie Home Companion" on the radio... Perfect.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dryden
“Birch Terrace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

The food was AMAZING and the service was very good !!!!! I would give this restaurant five stars !

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Don't expect fresh food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Everything here passes through the microwave oven. (This includes the steaming bread basket placed on your table).
Ever notice how the microwave makes bread rubbery? The Birch Terrace is a Grand Marais landmark and worth the visit. Order
a burger and pass on the overpriced fish and steak options.
Dining room was immaculate and the service friendly and efficient. Disappointed in the Lake Superior Herring which should be fresh this time of year - it was breaded and fried -then frozen and probably microwaved upon order.