“"The Real Thing"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heston's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Heston's Lodge
You added Heston's Lodge to your Saves list
579 South Gunflint Lake, Grand Marais, MN   |
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
“"The Real Thing"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have been a guest at this wonderful resort summer, fall and winter for over 25 years. You can feel the tranquility of the place hit you as you descend through the towering white pines at the end of County Road 50 going into their beautiful property. Through the years, I have grown to favor winter there with seemingly endless groomed trails right out the back door leading to breathtaking views from the South Rim of Gunflint Lake or Lonely Lake. I prefer the quiet here over Gunflint Lodge, but do enjoy the occasional walk down the road to enjoy their restaurant! Barb and Greg Gecas are the perfect hosts of this medium sized resort. I know two generations of people that have been comin'-up-the-trail regularly to stay at Heston's and most of them feel like they're good friends with them. If you're looking for a north woods experience, this is the real thing! There's a bonus; After a couple of days in the woods there, I get the notion that I am still 20 years old..... Nothin' wrong that, is there?

Room Tip: My favorites are the rustic cabins and Cedar Point cabin
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This Lodge is located right on Gunflint Lake, a destination for travelers for generations. Its' secluded and quiet location is far superior to me than Gunflint Lodge, and far more authentic. The accomodations are comfortable cabins rather than hotel rooms, and what that means is that you get to enjoy the beauty of the area peacefully. My husband and I stayed at the Birch cabin and it was VERY cute and very well equipped. We had a living room, dining room, full kitchen, bathroom with bathtub (not just a shower) and two bedrooms with queen beds. The kitchen had a full refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and every other kitchen item you might need (including a wine opener). The weather in October was cool -- we had snow two days -- but we were very comfortable in the cabin: there was a wood stove with lots of firewood, and the bedrooms had heaters in them as well. We ate at our cabin most of the time, but there are restaurants available a drive away if you want a change of pace. I recommend shopping in Grand Marais for your food items before you get here, but Heston's has a small store for items you may have forgotten. There was no cell phone reception here, but there was wifi. I didn't use the wifi, but I saw other guests on their laptops.

Now for the owners: You could not possibly find more caring and sweet proprietors. There are boats and canoes there for rent and Greg and Barb help you every step of the way. Barb helped me identify some birds I'd seen and recommended some hiking trails in the area. In the summer, Greg and Barb host a pizza night once a week, baking bread and pizza in their wood-fired outdoor bread oven. I couldn't recommend the place more completely. And their website shows beautiful photos of the cabins available at www.hestons.com .

As for the area, there's plenty of things to do besides sitting by the lake. We went to Gunflint Lodge one afternoon for lunch at the Bistro. We drove down Gunflint Trail and had dinner at Trail Center one night. There's a zipline close by (not my style), there's fishing galore, there are hiking trails. On our way home, we shopped in Grand Marais. Absolute musts in Grand Marais: Joynes Ben Franklin store, Storm Harbor, the Trading Post, and of course Worlds Best Donuts and Sven and Oles Pizza.

If you're thinking about getting away- this place is a no-brainer.

Room Tip: Most of the cabins are right on the lake or have fabulous lake views. Our cabin - Birch - was perfec...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011 via mobile

We were blown away by the cedar point lodge cabin! It comfortably occupies 2 couples or 2 single people. The view of gunflint lake from the cabin is absolutely breathtaking. We didn't realize how far the hestons lodge was from grand marais (approx 1 hr drive), but this worked out in our favor. We had no cell phone reception or tv during our stay and it was a much needed break, ensuring that we all enjoyed our magnificent location. Oh, and barb- you're in the right business! She was such a hospitable host and extremely helpful! Stay here!!

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Heston's Lodge? Share your experiences!