“Fun and informative raft trip” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Colorado River Discovery offers the most fantastic one day rafting trips anywhere on the mighty Colorado River. We provide half-day and full day tours that are perfect for the entire family (kids aged 4 and up). Departing from the scenic town of Page, Arizona, your trip will begin with an exciting and exclusive ride down the two-mile long Glen Canyon Dam access tunnel. At river level, with the dam soaring 700 feet above you, you will board a comfortable pontoon raft for your journey downstream. While on the River, you will experience one of the most dramatic stretches of river in the western United States. Your experienced guide will tell the story of the area’s soaring sandstone cliffs, crystal blue-green waters, abundant wildlife, exploration by Major John Wesley Powell and others, and the river's modern role in the Southwest’s water and power delivery system.A stop to view an impressive set of ancient petroglyphs will offer a you chance to stretch your legs and enjoy your lunch while bearing witness to the area’s former inhabitance by ancient native cultures. If you choose, you may also refresh yourself by wading in the cold, clear river. Come and visit the river that we love... You'll be inspired!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Northwood, North Dakota, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Fun and informative raft trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the smooth water trip down the Colorado River that started at the base of the Glen Canyon dam. After meeting at the Discovery Center in downtown Page, we all boarded buses for a trip through a tunnel to the base of the dam. At the base of the dam we walked down a metal ramp and several steps to get to our rafts. It was a great half day trip and well worth the price.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
“Fantastic 1/2 day excursion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I took a 1/2 day river float on September 19, 2013, and absolutely loved the experience. A tour bus drives you from the storefront in town to the base of the dam, where you then load onto the float boats. The bus driver narrated and pointed out various pieces of scenery on our drive through town and to the base of the dam. Our boat guide, Drew, was very knowledgable and very well-spoken - it was more like he was conversing with us rather than giving a tour. Halfway through the trip, we docked and walked a short ways to view Indian petroglyphs. Again, Drew gave us an overview of these and pointed out some of the wildlife (lizards and caterpillars on our tour). On the boat, we saw osprey, heron, and mallards. Overall, a fantastic experience that gives you a whole new perspective on the canyon.

San Diego, California
“Awesome trip with Brent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I took the day trip with Brent as my guide. Let me just say, we had a blast! The river was amazing, and I learned a lot about the damn and the river. Brent was an awesome guide! He played the flute, jumped in the 47 degree water, showed photos of old travelers, had great stories, and was very knowledgeable! I really can't say enough. It is definitely worth it if you get the time, you will not be disappointed. Ask for Brent! He's the guy with a pony tail.

Visited August 2013
Atlanta, GA
5 attraction reviews
“Glad we did it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We did this on the last day of our vacation. I had mentioned it to my husband the first night we stayed at the Grand Canyon, but he initially did not want to pay for the trip, but after two days of hiking he wanted to go to get out of more hiking. :). The trip was definitely worth the money. Beautiful scenery, delicious lunch, interesting history, fun 2 mile drive through the tunnel to the dock and a great tour guide. We both got in the water and it was very cold.

Our tour guide went above and beyond the call of duty when one of the passengers lost his sunglasses in the cold water. The guide dove in and grabbed them for the guy. I must say I don't think I could have done that.

I did not know what to expect, but this is definitely a good trip for people of all ages. We booked through Grand Canyon airlines, so it was nice to have a shuttle pick us up at the end and bring us back to the park.

I highly recommend that everyone do this trip if you are in the area.

Vancouver, Washington
15 attraction reviews
“Great Ride on the Colorado River Through Part of Grand Canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Riding a boat through the Grand Canyon is normally a week to two week trip and involves many rapids. A great alternative is the 4 hour "float" through the Marble Canyon portion of the Grand Canyon. Shear rock walls rise 1000 to 1200 feet straight up next to you--on both sides. Echoes bounce back and forth for what seems forever. Blue herons and other birds perch and dip into the water catching fish. Fish jump constantly to the front and side of the boat. You pass basic campgrounds where fisherman come for multiple days just to fish in majestic surroundings. Lunch and water is included, so you don't have to haul a lot of stuff. Just put on a lot of sunscreen!

Visited September 2013

Been to Colorado River Discovery? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Colorado River Discovery, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.