“impressive + beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Schertz, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“impressive + beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We opted to only tour the lower antelope canyon so I can't say if it's better (or not) than the upper antelope canyon tour. However, even after seeing so many photos of the antelope canyons before our trip, we were still greatly impressed by the sights and magnitude of the place. There are many stair to climb down (and eventually, up) on. In our opinion, despite all the steps, it's not really difficult for an average person -- our 11 y/o, who is mildly afraid of steep stairs and heights, did just fine. You most definitely need to be able to descend down stairs (like metal ladders), and go back many steps up -- there is no other way around it.

We did the first morning tour (in a group of about 25-30people, I believe), and we were at the gate before 8:30a, but the gate opened a little late -- not a huge problem. The tour was about 1 hour, but it went by fairly quickly. Our tour guide (who was also the clerk up front) was very nice, and also offered photo tips, and also volunteered to take photos of us in two areas of the canyon. I positioned myself at the end of the tour line, and I was able to capture many photos (from behind) of a seemingly empty canyon. We didn't see the first tour group in front of us, however, the next tour group behind us did catch up to use towards the end of the tour. Still, I felt that the tours were acceptably spaced out.

And, no bathroom in the canyon, but there are porta-johns outside by the (dirt) parking area. They offer a photographers pass (for free), however, there are certain rules that must be met (slr camera...etc), including having a tripod, which I did not carry with me. Maybe something to keep in mind if it's something you'd like to consider. Overall, it was most definitely worth the money and time. The sight to be seen in the canyon is really beautiful. Great experience!

Saint Leonard, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“Lower Antelope Canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

More of a challenge than the popular (and much more crowded) other Antelope Canyon, this is the better bet for serious photographers. We began our tour at 3 pm, and found the sun angle perfect, resulting in dramatic shots. Even with half the canyon flooded out, we got our money's worth. Our guide was excellent; patient and helpful without being overbearing.

Fontana, California
48 attraction reviews
“LOWER ANTELOPE CANYON”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Of the two Antelope Canyons, this is a much tougher trip. You start by squeezing in a little slot(this is why it is called a slot canyon) and desend into the canyon. The trip is long and not for the average person as you will probably desend at least 100 feet from where you started. But, that being said, this was the most incredible adventure I have ever taken. The Native American guide insisted that I get a photo pass ( did not cost extra) so that I could stay down there the entire 2 hours. With my tripod, I was left alone to take all of the pictures my little heart desired, and did just that! I took over 350 pictures and only a few did I edit. I plan to return at a different time of day to catch the sun's rays at different angles. This is a must trip for everyone!

Visited March 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
26 attraction reviews
“Great tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Antelope canyon is a little out of the way, but totally worth the effort to see! The 3 of us in our group are all fairly well traveled and all agreed that this is one of the most amazing sites we've seen. It should also be noted that the canyon is in no way ADA compliant i.e., if you're not able to climb around a little, you won't be able to maneuver. Also, (unfortunate but true) if you're fat, you just won't fit.

I will point out, however, that the directions given by Ken's aren't the easiest to figure out-- and they don't come up in GPS.

If you're coming from Flagstaff, you'll want to make a right toward the power station just after you see the gigantic "P" on the side of a mountain. Then the turn off for the lower canyon is NOT 1/4 mile past the turn off for the Upper canyon (as they tell you)-- it's right across the street! Where you would make a right for the Upper canyon, make a left for the lower. If you go past the power station, you've gone too far.

almere
34 attraction reviews
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Great views! Once in a lifetime experience a must do and see!

Visited October 2011