“A great tour, amazing light and color” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 33 Activities in Page
Calgary
36 attraction reviews
“A great tour, amazing light and color”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had Rick as our tour guide, he was excellent in introducing some photogenic shots. We didn't have time to join the photography tour so we just went on the regular Upper Antelope Canyon tour, it was Sunday in the winter, I believe only two tour companies are operating on Sunday, Roger Ekis is the smaller outfit and they have about five tours a day. Book early online, I was surprised how fast they were completely filled. The ride to the Canyon was uneventful but try to get on the last truck, as they have people coming in and out most of the time; the last group would allow you to catch some good pictures. The color and the patterns are simply amazing, you have to experience them in person, even pictures in the National Geographics could not tell the whole story. Don't be fooled by the single beam of light shining through the rocks in the brochure, it only happens in the summer for about 15 minutes in midday. In the winter, the sun is too low to shine directly into the canyon; nevertheless, the light and color would still leave you speechless. A lot of people said the Lower Antelope Canyon is less crowded but only one tour group is allowed as one Navaho family owns the land.

Visited December 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
14 attraction reviews
“DO NOT DO THIS TOUR!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Save yourself alot of trouble and skip his tour company ... hmm ... did I say that loud enough -- DO NOT use this tour company. I am a simple average American. I called up 3 weeks ahead of time and booked a tour. The guy on the phone gave me direction on where to find the tour bus. I thought to myself at the time, "great!" When I got there they did not have a record of me or my call. The people inside were completely rude about this. Eventually they gave me a seat on a later tour (not the one I booked). Be prepared this is an open air ride to the canyon. This means in the summer you "shake and bake" and in December when I went you rattle and freeze. YOu suck in exhaust fumes for about 20 min each way. When we got there the tour guide said "I'm leaving this gig in 3 weeks." He ran us through the canyon, not stopping to wait for the last folks coming off the bus. (To be fair, I'd hate to have his job and deal with tourists day in and day out.) He was gruff and ran through his understanding of the canyon. It was over in about 50 min and then we took another 20 min exhaust filled ride back to Page, AZ. Do not use this company. They pack the tourist in like sardines and take, take, take the money.

Visited December 2012
Alton, Illinois, United States
13 attraction reviews
“Excellent photographers tour of the canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I highly recommend the Roger Ekis tour company. The guide was well versed in both the locations for great shots as well as helping people with exposure and settings.

Visited November 2012
New Hartford, NY
14 attraction reviews
“Antelope Canyon Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

On the southeastern edge of Arizona are a few slot canyons called Antelope. This is a canyon cut deep into the rocks by occasional running water. Over eons of time the rocks have been cut into colorful, swirling patterns....really mind boggling in appearance!! The canyons must be on Navaho territory as only Navaho guides are allowed to bring tourists into them.
I signed up for a tour with Antelope Canyon tours, tours@antelopecanyon.com. In October, 2102, I expected very few tourists, but there were at least 70 on our 9:30 AM tour. ($35/person for about an hour in the canyon.) The company assigns one guide to each 14 people. You are transported to the canyons win an open vehicle. The trip takes less than 15 minutes. Once inside the canyon you are transported to a visual wonderland of nature. The guide's job is to nudge you to keep moving through the 1/4 mile long canyon, but she/he points out places for excellent photography. Serious photographers would do well to bring a tripod, as many of the locations are fairly dark. But my digital camera, hand held, obtained fabulous photos. I upped the ISO rating to 800, allowing the exposures to be shorter than "time exposures." All of the companies also offer longer (and more expensive) tours especially designed for photographers...but these tourists were on the same path the we amateur photographers were, so they had little advantage.
The spectacular natural beauty of the inside of this canyon was absolutely unforgettable. I am so glad that we went!
This location is only about 70-80 miles from Zion Nat'l Park in Utah. If you are planning to be anywhere in the vicinity, this is a DO NOT MISS place to visit!!

Visited October 2012
Lincoln City, Oregon
41 attraction reviews
“Canyon Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was part of my Grand Canyon Airlines day trip. After and early morning flight and canyon viewing from Tusayan to Page, we were picked up after a short rest time. Ours was a small group of 6 and after a short stop at the tour office we were on our way.
Its cold on back of an open truck but we had jackets so it wasn't too bad. The ride up the sandy river bed was wild and seat belts were useful while we clung to our loose stuff.. We were soon howling with laughter with each airborne launch.
Since we were the 1st truck to arrive we had the canyon to ourselves for some time. Suddenly, the rush to get to the canyon made sense - good job Stan!
Since we were a small group each person could wander about although our guide did attend to each of us individually. The walk back through the slot to the truck was crowded and noisy since numerous tours had begun to arrive.
We were then delivered to our next tour in a less hurried fashion.
A memorable experience.

Visited October 2012

Been to Antelope Canyon Tours by Roger Ekis? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Antelope Canyon Tours by Roger Ekis, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.