“Like I overstayed my welcome!” 3 of 5 stars

Glacier Bay Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Tong Rd, Gustavus, AK 99826   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gustavus
California
“Like I overstayed my welcome!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I felt as though our stay was an imposition to these people. Soft drinks or iced tea was served warm and reluctantly. Nothing was left out between meals, so you had to make your drink request from someone back in the kitchen. It wouldn't have been so bad if the tap water was potable, however, the bad pipes and sulpher made the water undrinkable.

They only had about 12 beers and a couple bottles of wine for 22 guests on a four day stay. Thankfully we didn't have too many drinkers, so it wasn't a big deal, but not what you'd expect, especially since this is supposedly a revenue source for them.

The walls had pictures of Jesus in a western setting, and Mormon literature in the rooms, so I guess the rest shouldn't have been surprising. Some kind of LDS logo should be added to their website just as a courtesy for those who may find this a bit uncomfortable.

The food was good, the fishing was decent and the scenery was nice. The people, though not overly eager to please, were pleasant enough. It almost made us feel bad to not use the "gratuity" envelopes they left in the rooms.

A little bit more enthusiasm and customer service would go a long way with this otherwise nice little outfit.

• Stayed August 2009

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Since I was 5 years old I have wanted to visit Alaska. I have 5 brothers and that is all we talked about... Fishing in Alaska and catching HUGE fish with our Dad. Well, I am the first to make it out of all my brothers and I went with my sweet wife and a group of wonderful friends. At 35, I caught HUGE fish and saw some of the most BEAUTIFUL country that God has ever created! My wife and I had the most fantastic experience! An amazing place to start to see Alaska is from Gustavus and the Glacier Bay Country Inn! Not only were the sights and fishing incredible, but our accomidations and food were amazing at the Inn. They really know how to treat guests. The breakfasts were filling and fantastic! The dinners were DELICIOUS!! Nothing beat a great meal at the Glacier Bay Country Inn! We had our own private cabin that was great for two, but had enough room for 4 or 5. We were well taken care of and I would tell anybody who wants to visit one of the most beautiful places on earth to start at the Glacier Bay Country Inn!! I know I will again next year!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
oklahoma city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

We recently returned to Alaska again and this time went to Glacier Bay Country Inn in Gustavus which is just a 20 min plane ride from Juneau. We had an amazing time and plan on returning. The Inn is located a little bit away from the town and is surrounded by beautiful meadows and trees. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very helpful at all times. We booked all of our lodging and activities directly from their website and then they called us to confirm everything. They took care of it all and everything was included in the trip.

Each morning we woke up to very large selection of breakfast items and then the staff took us to our fishing and other activities. The fishing was the best I have ever had including other locations in Alaska. We went two days salt fishing and caught Halibut and Salmon (several Silvers, and a lot of pinks too). While out there the whales were also going crazy. Some come extremely close to our boat and we had several come completely out of the water near us.

Then we went to the streams and we really must have caught 1,000 fish. I spent more time taking the fish off of my hooks than actually fishing. This in addition to the absolutely beautiful landscaping and wildlife that surrounded us. We were able to see several bear and a few moose throughout the trip.

On our free day the staff showed us several places to go for hiking and other places in the area. They shuttled us to wherever we wanted to go. The staff was very professional but also down to earth and fun which made us feel right at home. We really felt like we were part of a family and that was really comfortable for us and something that I believe is rare. You can tell they love what they do. Talking with one of them they said that they absolutely love being there and that they want to do everything possible to make sure that we felt the same way. We made some great friends.

The food is right there with the best restaurants I have been to anywhere. The chef’s were amazing and they really know what they are doing (and extremely friendly and funny). We had Prime Rib one night, then roasted duck the next and so on. They always had two entrée choices and it was always a very difficult decision. The deserts topped it all off. From there we hung out for a while and just chatted it up with the staff and other guests. Then off to the cabins to get ready for another great day in Alaska. The beds were very comfortable and the cabins had plenty of room and really cozy. Each room had a flat screen tv along with satellite and a dvd player which was nice. They also had high speed internet in the rooms which I guess was an added upgrade for this year.

Overall it was the best vacation that we have had so far. We plan on going back again since there were so many things that we did not have time to do. If you are planning a vacation our family highly recommends spending some time at Glacier Bay County Inn.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

The staff and management of the Glacier Bay Country Inn made this the best vacation I've ever had. This was the perfect get-away for my husband, myself, my brother and his two older teenagers, my sister and her husband. Families with younger children swapped adventure stories with us each night as we visited around a fire pit each night (liberally doused with mosquito spray).

After an unbelievable day of fishing for halibut and King salmon and simultaneously watching a pod of whales not far from our boat, we returned each night to a sumptuous 3-course dinner. We enjoyed well-appointed, comfortable rooms and felt like honored guests who were also "like family." I enjoyed walks in wood-lined meadows, reading a good book from their library, playing horse shoes or board games or cards each night. The staff materialized each night with buttered popcorn or a snack to go with our evening fun. Buffet breakfast in the morning and sack lunches to take with us to the day's adventure. Surrounding this perfect country inn experience are as many varied activities as your family could imagine on a vacation: whale watching, deep sea fishing, zip line adventures, kayaking, hiking, viewing glaciers, helicopter and bush plane rides, lake and river fishing and even a low-cost driving range and golf course.

The staff at the Inn provided rain gear, fishing poles for nearby rivers/lakes, many varieties of bicycles, rides in the van "into town" (a sleepy fishing village). If we needed anything, we had only to ask. I intend to return to this Paradise again and again. Really worth the cost!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a week and absolutely had the time of our lives. It's funny...I usually try to spend less on accomodations and more on sightseeing, activities, adventure, etc but the Glacier Bay Country Inn was worth every penny. Over the years I've become picky with food as well and this place does not disappoint. There were people from other lodges/inns that came there for the chef's (John and Ken) food which come to find out is well known throughout the community. I had the best prime rib I've ever had. Glacier Bay Country Inn is run by a very nice family and they went out of their way to make sure that we had a good time. There was a huge flat screen TV in our cabin and wireless internet. They even took me to the town's golf course and we had a blast. The lodge organized the fishing excursion and Glacier Bay day cruise. My wife caught a 170 lb halibut and everyone back home is raving about the pictures we are showing them. From the dining area, there is a very nice view of a large meadow on the property. We saw a moose while we were eating dinner and some other guests said they saw a bear the day before in the meadow. I borrowed a guitar at the lodge and sat on the patio overlooking the meadow and relaxed. I guess in a nut shell this lodge is a perfect place to relax or you can use it as a central location for a great Alaskan experience. We hope to go every year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

We recently had the opportunity to go to Alaska with our entire family (Parents, brother and his wife, two sisters and their husbands and their two kids) and we all had a blast!! My dad planned the trip for us so going into the vacation I had no idea what to expect. Upon arrival at the Glacier Bay Country Inn I was very pleased with the beautiful scenery surrounding the lodge. We stayed in a cabin and I found the accommodations to be very comfortable. We could not have asked for better excursions! Our deep see fishing trip also turned into over 2 hours of whale watching, truly a once and a life time experience to be that close to so many whales. The trip to Glacier Bay was also beautiful and we couldn’t have asked for better weather. We chartered a flight to Skagway where we followed the Klondike Trail of the 1893 Gold Rush which was fascinating. Each excursion was worry free thanks to the wonderful planning of Glacier Bay Country Inn. Each night, after our long and wonderful days of exploring, we were greeted by a superb dinner, to include homemade bread (baked fresh daily of course) and a selection between two fantastic meals each night. The Southwestern Halibut, Prime Rib and Pesto Salmon, to name a few, instantly became family favorites. After an adventures day and a full belly, it was complete serenity to lie down in a comfortable cabin. With great adventure close by, wonderful food, a great staff and comfortable accommodations, the Glacier Bay Country Inn is a wonderful place to stay while exploring Alaska.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

My husband and I loved staying at this comfortable lodge with incredible views. The staff was very friendly and accomodating to our 10 month old baby, making sure we had everything we needed for him (playpen, highchair, toys). The food was unmatched with excellent dinners, and fresh breakfast with lots of delicious snacks in between. In response to the lower rating by a traveler who said that breakfast wasn't what they expected: our breakfasts had plenty of otptions from hash browns, sausage, bacon and delicious scrambled eggs to waffles, kiwi strawberry pancakes and scrumptious french toasts. Plenty of fresh, creative muffins were served as well. The chefs were attentive and met with us each meal to make sure we were satisfied and everything was as we liked it.

In addition, you can really tell that the owners take pride in thier clean and private facility. They went to great lengths to assure that we were set up with every type of day activity that we wanted and saw to it that we were transported in a timely manner. We loved how the lodge was easily accessible yet hidden from the road in their private forrest. We saw plenty of wildlife and enjoyed sitting by the fire pit with other guests and playing cards after dinner. Another benefit were the bikes (and bike trailer for little ones!) that were for our leisure.

If you are looking for the best food in town (other Inns sent their guests here for dinner a few nights) and excellent service, you MUST stay at the Glacier Bay Country Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Glacier Bay Country Inn? Share your experiences!