It's been 7 years since our last trip to Glacier & the Belton Chalet so we decided to rtn this year on a family trip. You can't visit the area & not stay here, it's a classic place w/a great restaurant. Our group had 2 rooms, one on the 2nd flr, facing the parking lot, at the top of the interior stairs which has a full/queen bed & sink in the room, toilet & shower in a separate room & writing desk. The other room was on the 2nd flr, street side & the last room at the end of the hall w/2 twin beds w/sink in the room, toilet & shower in separate room. The bonus to this room is the porch w/2 rocking chairs that look out to the road. Really liked sitting out there & drinking a cold one!
Things to consider: if your room is on the street side, beware that West Glacier is a Amtrak train stop so you will hear the train! The Chalet is right across the parking lot of the Amtrak stop. If your room is on the parking lot side, you will hear the cars of people leaving early in the AM or hear people getting picked up by the red touring cars, especially if you're on the 1st flr. Probably the lesser of the evils is a room on the 2nd flr, parking lot side, which we had. Our family in the other room said it was like the scene in My Cousin Vinny where the train comes by early in the AM. ha ha
The staff is very nice & is knowledgeable about the park. The rooms are clean & the place is neat & pretty. Enjoyed sitting in the quiet lobby reading about Glacier & looking at the local crafts in the case.
The last time here, we had a continental breakfast which I think has been discontinued. Too bad. There are the 2 single cabins available but have never been in them. And you have to try the restaurant, it's fabulous! Wonderful menu - try the meatloaf entree & huckleberry pie for dessert! You can read about the chef in a framed article from a local magazine that is on the 2nd flr. Really great food!
Chk their website for more pics. Chalet is highly recommended! And don't forget to buy one of their t-shirts.
- Also Known As:
- Belton Chalet Hotel
- Belton Chalet West Glacier
- Belton Chalet Hotel West Glacier
- Belton Chalet West Glacier, Montana
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a 1910 National Historic Landmark hotel built by James J. and Louis Hill of the Great Northern Railway. After being closed for fifty years, the property underwent a three-year restoration completed in 1999 and is now a National Historic Landmark. The Belton Chalet was the first chalet built for Glacier Park and the park’s first winter headquarters. Belton Chalet, family owned, once again welcomes guest from across the world. Thank you for being our guest and a part of our history. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Belton Chalet reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.