“Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vista Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Glacier
Vista Motel
You added Vista Motel to your Saves list
12340 Highway 2 East, West Glacier, MT 59936   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in West Glacier
USA
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked this hotel because of its proximity to the glacier national park. On our drive there I was trying to locate the hotel on the GPS without success, so I called up on the motel and they gave me the GPS co-ordinates which were spot-on. Because we were going to arrive late, the owner told me that she would leave the keys in an envelope near the front desk. It was around 1 am that we arrived at the motel, and fiddling around trying to look for the keys but the owner immediately showed up and welcomed us with a big smile that late into the night.

The next day, I had a great chat with the owner again about the nearby hikes, must see places. She even warned me about a food bug that was going around. When I told her that we were going to hike the Iceberg trail and didn't have any bear spray with us, she immediately gave me 2 cans for our group of 5. Such customer service is what is so endearing.

Do not expect luxury in the rooms. The place provides good value for money and and were old but clean. As some of the other reviews mentioned it is right off the highway so you can hear the car and train sounds, but if you spend enough time in the park, sound sleep wont be a problem at all. :)

Just wish they had more options for breakfast like eggs or waffles. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
keddie, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

In Sept 2012 my wife and i had a fantastic three week vacation in Glacier and Yellowstone parks. I booked all motels along the way from tripadvisor recommendations and was not disappointed with any. West Glacier was the fifth and sixth nights of our journey. When I called to inquire about a reservation I told the nice lady on the phone I am partially disabled and would require a shower which had easy access.. She said she was sure she had a room that would meet my needs, but wished to check for sure and would call me back. She called shortly and indicated she did have a room with a remodeled bathroom which should work fine.

Upon arrival check in was easy. We had seen pictures of this 1950's era motel on tripadvisor and their web site and were aware to not judge the place from the outside.. When we opened the door we were quite pleased - two very comfortable beds somewhat squeezed into a smallish room, and most important the remodeled bathroom looked great with quite a large walk in shower. Others have mentioned no tv or phone, but internet worked great and we had cell service. All very clean and inviting. Our room was in the motel section facing the highway, so I can not comment on the kitchen units or cabins and it was too late in the season for the pool to be open.

Others have mentioned train noise - there is a road down in the valley that crosses the tracks so the engineer is required to sound the horn. Although noticeable it was not annoying, and since the motel is several hundred yards above the highway road noise is relatively quiet.

After a fantastic nights sleep we went to what they call the rock room for a light continental breakfast. Good coffee, tea, oatmeal, bagels and cream cheese, toast, juice and muffins. I would think it's more of a breakfast than other motels inside the park offer. The best part of this rock room is that one wall is glass with a fantastic view (vista) of this most beautiful of all national parks. Easy chairs are provided to just, sit, sip your coffee and take it all in. Conversation is easily struck up with fellow travelers from whom you may learn something new of the park

Travelers who have visited Glacier are aware you will not find any Holiday Inn type places close to the park. Most accommodations I've seen are the older 50's or 60's type and certainly several go back even further. If one keeps this in mind when visiting the West Glacier area, and book early you will find a great older properly run motel in the Vista Motel

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We spent one night on the west side of Glacier National Park. Visa Motel was a reasonably priced and quite decent place to stay. I am satisfied with the choice of booking at room there. Following are some details that may be of interest to future travelers considering the motel.

It's right next to the highway and very close to the railway track. Inevitably, you will hear the cars and trains passing by. It was not a problem for us, we were very tired :).

The room has that distinct smell of old. And it makes sense, it is definitely not a new place but we found it to be maintained with care. We got used to that smell very quickly.

Although we arrived late, the staff was kind enough to make some calls to the restaurants in the vicinity to ask if they were open. None was open, but I appreciated her trying to help us.

A small fridge was available, soap/shampoo in the bathroom and there was a Wi-Fi network but we forgot to ask the password for it.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Nampa, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Vista Motel definately shows its age. Our room was clean, but smelled mildewy. The furnishings were older. The bathroom was small and when I used the shower for the first time, there was a nasty, large yellow booger stuck to the soap dispenser. The room door had about a 3/4 inch gap away from the floor. I was worried about mosquitoes coming in, but it didnt' seem to be an issue. It was an adequate place for the one night we stayed, but I don't think I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the rooms facing the highway and railroad tracks. I didn't hear the train w...
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were booked in a king cabin, but when we checked in the friendly lady at the desk let us know that it was "small and rustic" and that a motel room with kitchen was available for the same price. After looking at the cabin, which was super small with a king bed that took up the whole room, we opted for the motel room which was on the end of the building. When we got here, we were cold and wet and the heater had the room toasty warm in no time! The bathroom was new;the kitchen was nice too, but we didn't use it except for the coffee maker with REAL CUPS, which makes my day! We enjoyed a quiet and comfortable sleep with sounds of the railway across the hwy. There was a continental breakfast served outside with a beautiful view of the mountains. The bottom line is that it was a cozy,comfortable and convenient stay in a simple mountain cabin with knotty pine walls, no tv or phone (good!)!

Room Tip: The cabins are set back from the road, so not as much highway traffic
huntsville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Loved our stay here - the new Costco beds were so comfortable and the room and bathroom were very clean. Cannot say enough about the friendly, helpful staff. They really want you to feel at home. The continental breakfast was served in a lovely outbuilding overlooking the mountains - just wonderful!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We found Vista to be quite a cozy and friendly place to stay. We actually enjoyed the rumbling of the freight trains across the street - it added to the rustic feel of the area. Our queen room - number 7 - was a bit small, but clean and comfortable. Soothing wood paneling, well lit, heated up quickly in the cool autumn, matress solid, plenty of hot water. The breakfast was basic - mostly bread/bagels/muffins, but enough to get us started in the morning. Staff very friendly - with recommendations for the area (they sent us to the tasty Belton Restaurant - don't miss it). Videos available to borrow from a small collection. With the reasonable price and convenient access to the park, this is a fine choice for the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Vista Motel? Share your experiences!