“Laid Back Living” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silver City

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Rochester, MN
“Laid Back Living”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

IF you are going for a slow and easy vacation, this is it. I believe the population is about 10,000. I was there in December at a time when there were not any local celebrations going on.
We stayed at a casita 3 miles out of town. The ranch was called High Lonesome and was owned by Dutch and Cherie Salmon. They are truly graciious hosts.
My favorite place was the restaurant Shevek and Mi. Their attention to detail is incomparable!. The wine list and the sommalier is exquisite. From a town of this size, the experience of Shevek's was next to none.
My second favorite haunt was Bear Creek Herbs. They had shelves and shelves of teas and herbs that I was not able to find any where else other than online. The proprieter was also extremely helpful and answered all questions with knowledge and great caring.
My favorite day trip was the catwalk and hiking trail in the Gila National Forest. You can go for a short walk for the inexperienced or go further along the trail for bigger thrills.

FLORIDA
“Favorite accomodations.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My wife and I were passing through Silver City, NM last month. We intended to do some sightseeing at places like the Gila Cliff Dwellings. OH, forgot to mention, we are traveling on motorcycles and love the roads and the mountains in the area. We asked a local for a recommendation for accomodations and were referred to the Pinos Altos Cabins up on Pinos Altos Road (Highway 15). We found the location up on the side of a mountain with scenic views all the way to Mexico. Liked it so much we extended our two day stay to 4 days. This was lucky since the charming cabins are very popular we learned.

The owner/operator is also a "rider" so we had a lot to talk about. In fact, he saddled up one of his three bikes and accompanied us on a ride in the area to point out some special sights.

This is a primo location for all of the activities in the area. We strongly recommend you give it a look on-line. Just Google Pinos Altos Cabins!

Cape Cod
“Pleasant small NM town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2006

My wife and I spent a week in southeast New Mexico, from February 3rd to the 10th. I’ve broken this trip report into three segments; Las Cruces, Silver City and Truth or Consequences.

Silver City Part II of III

On Sunday we headed over to Silver City, a little over 100 miles away. We traveled Route 10 through Deming, then turned north on to Route 180, which took us all the way in to the small town. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, and as in Las Cruces, the hotel, while perfectly nice, was situated some miles from the town center, so it restricted our getting to know the area. Once settled in to the motel we went into Silver City (referred to as “Silver” by the locals) and made our way to the Silver City Museum, which I’d recommend to any first time visitor. You’ll get a good feel for the place from the information presented there and in addition we found one of the museum’s staff most helpful in showing us where to go for interesting sites in the area.

Silver is a much less expensive place to purchase a home than Las Cruces. It’s the home to a large collage. The winter weather was just great (do keep in mind that the town is at a higher elevation than Las Cruces, so is a bit cooler during the day and quite cool in the evening) and the town’s center is attractive. Keep in mind that you’ll need a car to get to anyplace you’d want to go (this was true of any of the places we stayed in NM this trip).

We tried to find a place to eat in Silver that first night but, owing to the fact that it was Sunday, everything was closed (even the one place that advertised it was open!). We eventually went out to Caballero’s (several miles out of town on Route 180) and had a nice Mexican style dinner.

On Monday, after breakfast at the hotel (yogurt, eggs, cereal, fruits, the usual. Perfectly okay) we decided to see the Gila (pronounced “hiya”) Cliff Dwellings National Monument. A word of caution here. The trip to the monument is a twisting, narrow, un-separated road with thousands of feet of nothing between you and the earth should you lose it. I found the road too much for me and although my GPS told me I had six miles to go to get there, when I found a place to turn around, I did! Talk about white knuckle time.

We then headed to the City of Rocks, a state park. There is a nominal fee for entering the park (it’s on the honor system off season) of $5 dollars per car. Once there the museum has a full explanation as to how the rock formations came about and after checking that out we drove around the site. Interesting and worth a visit.

During the day we wound up in a tiny town named Pinos Altos. There was an old fort, which appears to be some sort of museum but wasn’t open to the public when we were there. There were some old buildings which were interesting. A good place for photo taking.

We then took a ride along the Mimbres River. The area was pretty desolate, with occasional ranches along the river. You can drive for miles and miles and not run into another vehicle. A word to the wise. Any traveling in this part of the country and you’d best have some food, water and a car in good mechanical condition.

Eventually we came back into Silver. My wife and I drove up and down the streets of the town, just checking the place out. Lots of single family homes (naturally). The impression of the town was that there were some nice homes there, and in that part of the town at the higher elevations, some great views of the surrounding mountains (lots of mountains in NM!). The town center was a pleasant mix of restaurants and businesses. The area is pretty much away from everything, but, once off of Route 180 (the main road and business center) we had the impression it was a nice quiet town.

Been to Silver City? Share your experiences!