“Pet Friendly but not Suite Friendly” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Silver City
chicago, il
“Pet Friendly but not Suite Friendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

We got to the hotel quite late on a Friday night; Extended family: grandparents, parents, small child and dog. We had chosen this hotel over others in Silver City because they took pets and because we were able to book a suite, which makes traveling with the small child a bit more comfortable. (He goes to bed much earlier than mamma and papa.) Upon arriving at the hotel we were told that the key card machine was out of order and we would have to be let in and out of our room by staff. This was irritating, but we decided to check in anyway because the hotel took dogs and had suites, a combination not always easily found. Well, once we were checked in and were carrying our stuff upstairs, we found out that the suite was really one large room with a seating area, and that the dog wasn't allowed in it. The single room was tiny and the "suite" wasn't much bigger. Because it was so late and the kid and dog were cranky, we stayed anyway, but unhappily--unhappiness that grew when we discovered that the single room was sandwiched between two extremely noisy families. Now the noise wasn't the hotel's fault, nor probably was the key card issue, and they were upfront about that. But a suite is a suite, and a room with a seating area is NOT a suite--and since it was half the reason we were booked there, it was very annoying to be misled so. Lucky for us that we were able to shuttle the dog to the single room; otherwise we would have had to downgrade out of the faux suite, and it would have been a tight squeeze in the smaller room--dog bed, crib, etc. The rest of the hotel was fine. I give it a poor rating because of false advertising, suite-wise. (We've stayed in other Holiday Inn Expresses that had real suites, which is why it didn't occur to us that this one might not.)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed here twice; once for Thanksgiving '09 and once after Christmas '09. The Inn is very clean and comfortable. The desk staff was friendly and helpful. They allow dogs and bringing ours was a non-issue. They forgot to charge us for them on the second trip, but that's okay. The standard room was just that; basic. If it's not too much money, try to get the suite. In the suite, it is roomier; there is a refrigerator, sink, and microwave; the bathroom is larger. The bed in the suite was very comfortable, but the one in the standard room made for a difficult night. The hot tub wasn't in operation the last time we were there. We didn't plan on using it, but why would this be down during the winter? Anyhow, Silver City is a great little town--love the art galleries--and this is a nice, quiet place to stay. Good breakfast in AM.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We booked a room at this Holiday Inn Express in Silver City while visiting the Gila Cliff Dwellings. So needless to say, we were totally exhausted from the hike and, more so, the drive to and from the cliff dwellings. This hotel very pleasantly surprised us. The rooms were clean and spacious and the service was friendly. The lobby was very beautiful. The breakfast was delicious. I only wish it had a pool and a work out room. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
U.S.A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

My mom and I spent one night here and had lots planned to do in Silver City. I have to say though, I wish we could have spent more time in the hotel. It was comfy, clean, and had (almost) everything we needed. I say almost because there wasn't a refrigerator or microwave in the room for our yummy leftovers. Excersise room is great with the eliptical, stationary bike, and treadmills. The hot tub was clean and relaxing. As always, the beds, pillows, sheets, towels, etc. at the Holiday Inn were clean and comfortable. I gave the location a 4 because it's right on the edge of town and most of what we were doing was downtown, but it really is only about a 5-10 minute drive to downtown, and most of the hotels were within the same 5 mile radius. I rated the value at 4 because I wouldn't normally pay their regular price (I got a good deal on priceline). However, compared to some of the other hotels I saw in Silver City, I would have gladly paid full price at the Holiday Inn rather than stay at the others. The room, as mentioned, was clean and comfortable. They are very basic, no fridge, no micro. They did have a coffee machine, hair drier, iron, the usual stuff. The staff was friendly and willing to help and to answer questions. The hostess at the front desk even told us where the best places to hike were. Breakfast was better than the typical complimentary ones I've had at other hotels, but no restaurant in the hotel. (That was fine with me, I like taking my breakfast up to my room anyway!) Overall, we had a great stay and will stay here again when we return to Silver City in the future.

• Stayed May 2009
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on our recent holiday in the southwest. We appreciated the fact that the hotel is out of the city core but not so far out that you feel too far from anything. We went for a suite as we needed to have a fridge in the room for our food and icepacks. The lobby is quite nice and very welcoming - the complimentary bottles of water by the front desk were a very nice touch especially as the temperature was hovering around 90. We were a bit surprised to see that the suites are located right next to the conference room, the exercise center and the elevators. We were expecting more noise as a result and we did get some but nothing that hampered our slumber!

There was only one functional ice machine out of three so that made for some trekking. The breakfast buffet was quite good - lots of choices and tasty.

So all in all, a good place to call home for a few nights if you are in these them parts!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I stayed at this hotel while visiting family in silver city. My room was on the first floor and I think the walls are built from cardboard. I could hear EVERYTHING that was going on in the hall and in the other rooms. The beds were really uncomfortable. The breakfast had plenty of choice, but they had generic brand cereal that tasted funny. The hotel was not the worst I've ever stayed in, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

I work for the state and am on a per diem. I have tried several dates for every month of the year (including calling the hotel) and they always told me "not available" just like it says on the web site. Finally, I called the corporate office and they told me that hotel CHOOSES not to offer a state/government rate at all. I find this kind of false advertisement unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
HospitalityMan12, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Silver City, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
I'm sorry about your poor experience with trying to get into the Holiday Inn Express of Silver City at the Government Employee Rate. I can assure you, we do have the Government Rate available for most nights. In fact, this week the hotel was full of nice Government Employees who all received the Government Rate. It is true that we are a busy hotel and often there is no availability of rooms at any price, so it pays to make reservations early. We invite you to try again to stay with us and experience our hotel.
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate people who provide feedback so that we can improve.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Silver City? Share your experiences!