“Satisfies even this picky New Yorker” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Dessert, Ice Cream, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dessert
Description: New Mexico's oldest gelato shop, serving home made gelato (Italian ice cream) and fresh-baked desserts. Featured in Fodor's, Frommer's, Moon Guides, and Travel section of the NY Times! Located in Silver City's historic Arts & Cultural District, Alotta Gelato is open 7 days a week from Noon to 9:00 PM (Sun-Thu), or Noon to 10:00 PM (Fri-Sat). Both indoor and outdoor seating is available, and we can pack your purchase 'to go.' Ask about our dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free flavors. Find us on Facebook!
“Satisfies even this picky New Yorker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I've lived in Italy, grew up in a mostly Italian & Jewish neighborhood in Brooklyn and am a picky/particular chef- so I love it so much I serve their product in my restaurant. Mitch & Star are great people who want to give nothing less than their best. My favorite is Pistachio, but I recommend every flavor they make. "Try it, you'll like it." It's become a Silver City institution.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great local place for gelato”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I live in Silver City, which is a blessing all its own, and can go to Alotta Gelato anytime it's open. Seeing reviews that state the gelato is "horrible" is hard to swallow, no pun intended. My wife and I have lived here for 5yrs now and I've not ever had a gelato from Mitch that was not good. Some flavors I like better than others, but none are "horrible". And overpriced? You've got to be kidding me? It's an affordable treat that's worth the time to go there for. Silver City would be less of a town without Mitch, Star and a down to earth local business.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Silver City, New Mexico
“From an local Daigo's view point ... Molto Buon!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I am from San Francisco (North Beach food hang outs) and own a local cafe, I am very picky about my food, as anyone in town will tell you. When I get a break from my cafe kitchen, I head over to Mitch's for my treat. Been treating myself for years (8) here and have never had a issue with the quality of his product. Have even had Mitch make specials flavors for my cafe, that is how good it is. Fresh vibrant flavors that are pure.
Fresh fruits, whole milk, real chocolate, no fillers or fats to "smooth it out" or give it body. You get the picture. It is real!
How do I know? ... we run into each each in the mornings while we are shopping for our business' and you know ... I look in the cart and I eat it. And that is why I treat myself there ... orange pineapple & lemon, that's my choice. And the best part, no flash .. no altitude, just afforable quality with flavor. Plus some pretty cool music to enjoy, too.
This is a neighborhood gelato shop, not a slick cafe. It is what it is and I am very happy about that ....... Buon lavoro!!

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Had gelato many places, but this was the worst of the bunch. Service was great and very friendly, but the gelato was grainy and unpleasant tasting. Would not go again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Silver City, NM
“A local perspective”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

I've been to Gelato enough times to give a 'more than once' perspective. And I've had gelato in many communities in the US. Alotta is a solid gelato store. The ambiance is sparse, but its a gelato shop not fine dining. They'll let you sample your way through the entire selection if you want so there's no need to say you didn't like what you had. Conversation is always as much or as little as you want - we tend to like to hear what's going on in town. And prices are more than fair. Anyone who says they left and went to Dairy Queen to get better is on crack...even if you don't like what you had, the suggestion that soft serve is better speaks volumes about the reviewers tastes. Anyway, the conglomerate is my favorite as is the Romeo and Juliet. My eyes always want the large size but my stomach prefers the small.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere