“Worth the drive!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Silver City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International, Contemporary, Fusion, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: James Beard nominated eclectic restaurant featuring fast, fresh and affordable lunches, and modernist foraged tasting dinners.
Poznan, Poland
“Worth the drive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I tried the tasting menu last night, and it was such a fun meal - five courses that were full of surprises, just the thing for a foodie. To give you an example, the second course, a salad, consisted of green papaya, pineapple, foraged grape leaves, kimchi essence, sesame oil powder, and foraged cattail pollen. My entree of Korean Elk was wonderfully spiced and SO tender, and I'm not usually a fan of game meat but figured I'd trust the chef's recommendation. I'm glad I did. The chef stopped by before my entree and during dessert, and my server was friendly and knowledgeable. You'll want to allow 2.5 to 3 hours for so many courses. I hope to bring my husband with me next time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“The way food should be prepared”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I had read about this restaurant in the New York Times and stopped in about a year and a half ago to check it out while visiting Silver City for business. The menu was amazing and the rationale behind the food and its preparation resonated with me. Locally harvested, regionally sourced and sustainably-grown as best as possible. It just makes sense. Unfortunately, the restaurant was small then and we did not have a dinner reservation. We waited for an hour and got served a mini-version of the usual dinner. We were disappointed but the the food was still good. I just returned to Silver City for work this week and was pleasantly surprised that the restaurant now has many more tables, has a varied and delicious lunch menu with reasonable prices. The service was fast, the food was great and I took home a jar of mole and that too was just as satisfying on my homecooked meal today. I wish there were more restaurants that took the care and passion that Chef Rob puts into this establishment and really wish there was something like this in my hometown.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
tucson
“Not Ready for Prime Time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Dinner reservation had been mistakely confused with someone else who had canceled. Chef was aloof and did not appear concerned about the few diners in the place. Decor is stark and unimaginative. Sharing of entrees or variance from the printed menu is not allowed. No choice of entee sides;"the chef decides." Wine list is minimal. No air conditioning. Beer garden needs more shade covers and is a poorly manicured front yard of the house. Salads were fresh with a very good dressing. Prawn dishes were good, but not spectacular. Duck breast entree was excellent. Lunch appears to be the big event here. They have only recently started serving dinner. Big mistake!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
gfron1, Owner at Curious Kumquat, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Very odd review for a number of reasons and wonder if reviewer is even talking about our establishment. We've been serving dinners for nearly 4 years so not new as you suggest. We don't serve prawn, never have, never will since we're a foraged food restaurant. We have air conditioning and it runs all the time these days - hopefully cooling off soon. Our wine list has nearly 50 different selections - 25 by the glass. Decor is stark and unimaginative?...look at the pics above and decide for yourself. And as far as me being aloof, that's an odd thing to suggest since I personally visit every table that does the tasting menu regardless of how busy it is. If you see me running through the dining area during your meal that normally means I'm heading out to the herb garden, so at those times I don't stop to chat, but most would suggest that I chat too much rather than too little. So if your review is truly about us, I am sorry you had that experience, but nothing strikes true.
Silver City, New Mexico
“If you can't find it elsewhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Now servind lunch and dinner... if you want something a little different for are looking for a gormet item... place to find it. Worth the time to wander thru the various rooms to see what they have.

Visited May 2012
Silver City, New Mexico, United States
“An Oasis in the Desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

As residents of Silver City, one of the things we miss most is good, well-prepared food at affordable prices. The Curious Kumquat stands out. Chef Rob's passion for food shows in every dish and dessert. Produce and meats are local, when possible, and the Sysco truck never stops by.

Our family goes for lunch, usually. The turkey and pastrami sandwiches, the corn chowder and the burrito are standouts for us, although more exotic dishes are offered, especially at dinner. All of Rob's desserts are wonderful, and this is where his artistry especially shines.

Not to be missed!