“Curious Kumquat offers an epicurean adventure.” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 65 Restaurants in Silver City
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: James Beard nominated eclectic restaurant featuring fast, fresh and affordable lunches, and modernist foraged tasting dinners.
Silver City, New Mexico
“Curious Kumquat offers an epicurean adventure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

After a long day of yard work, my boyfriend and I settled in at the quaint Silver City restaurant. We decided to have the tasting menu which comprised of 7 courses prepared with love. All the food is organic or foraged locally which gives it that special touch. Service was gracious and the atmosphere was lively as the other diner's were commenting on what their next course was. We found ourselves saying, "wow, I wonder what this is.. this is really good!" It made dining really fun, like we were taking an adventure. Not only that, but each course was beautifully prepared. Art unto itself. If your looking for something a little different and high quality food with a lower price.. This is definitely your best bet!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Houston, Texas
“Mmmm mmmm good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I eat here every couple of weeks when I come down to Silver City for business. The food is incredible. Lunch is simple but very good and the choices are very different from one-another. Contrary to the review before me, the service is always excellent. I have had the same server for my last couple of visits and he literally remembered exactly what I ordered the time before. I also enjoyed that the Chef has actually appeared in the dining room a time or two just to make sure everyone's food was exactly how they wanted it. Small town quality service with a big city taste. Price is very reasonable and (as far as I know) the food seems extremely fresh and, might I add, delicious! Give it a try, you won't regret it.

- Jim

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sacramento, California
“Great Food, Terrible Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I ordered the green chili corn chowder which was terrific. The food was so good, it's a shame the service was so poor.
The waiter began by telling me the lunch special was "A summer platter with cheese and vegetables and stuff like that."
Then, once my food arrived, I never saw him again. After waiting in vain for him to come by to ask if I needed anything, I said, "Exuse me," to ask another server for more salad dressing and she ignored me until I had to repeat myself more loudly. The dressing eventually appeared by my original waiter but then it was another ordeal to get my bill (finally brought by a brand new waiter) and pay it.
This is a restaurant in a small town that has very good fresh food but its owner should invest in servers who reflect the excellent quality of the food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Top notch food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

First time into Curious Kumquat and I loved it. The special was Watermelon Gazpacho which was absolutely perfect on a hot August day. It was not too sweet with a bite of Thai chile and a touch of cilantro. The Fish Taco was good but needed a little punch to make it better - some pica de gallo would have been nice. I look forward to returning for dinner.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Mexico
“Sophisticated and delicious locally sourced food at a bargain price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I enjoy eating at very urbane restaurants in major cities and were delighted to find that the Curious Kumquat's menu and presentation is comparable to many of the very best. (The experience reminded me of the Bar at Cafe Atlantico, in Washington, DC--only much better and much much less expensive.) We arrived late in the evening, when the restaurant was uncrowded, and had the great fun of discussing our meal at length with the chef/owner. Every item on the 5-course tasting menu was a witty surprise, locally sourced or foraged and based on Native American foodways. Even better, every item was exceptionally delicious. Yummy cattails! We urge you to try the dinner.

• Visited May 2011