“Wonderful stay in Brooklyn” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Brkfst, Wifi, Attractions
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
San Jose, California
“Wonderful stay in Brooklyn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Brooklyn Heights is a great place to stay for a tourist coming to Brooklyn for the first time. The neighborhood includes many historic homes. This hotel is close enough to walk to both the Brooklyn Bridge and the Brooklyn Promenade, either of which give you terrific views of Manhattan. It is also close to several subway stations, allowing cheap access to other areas of Brooklyn as well as Manhattan. The hotel room was large for NYC and about $100/night cheaper than staying in Manhattan. Car service from JFK to Brooklyn is about $35. Happy Days Diner delivers breakfast directly to the hotel lobby at a much lower cost than eating at the hotel restaurant, but we had an adequate dinner at the restaurant one night. Down pillows are standard so that might be a problem for allergy sufferers. We requested non-down at the time of reservation, but the only ones we received were Euro size. We never complained so don't know if they offer regular size non-down pillows. In general, we were very happy with the room and the service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Friendswood, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, so you have walking accesss to Manhattan. The rooms are good size with a couch, refridgerator, shower and bathroom, TV and two night stands. The rooms were cleaned expeditiously and the hotel staff is courteous. the bellhop can get you a cab any time of the day or night and the local area in Brooklyn has good nearby food. My only complaint is that the intenet is expensive. There should be free internet or Wi-FI as opposed to $14.95 a night.

Room Tip: My room didn't have a great view, it was facing the State Supreme Court building. A higher floor...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Needed to be here for a conference. NY hotels are often high priced, crowded and bit of a nightmare. The Marriott only lived up to some of that reputation. The hotel has a nice lobby, a pretty pleasant staff and the rate was good for NYC. Upon arrival there was not a room available for me and I was asked to wait. To the desk staff's credit they took my cellphone number to call when came available, offered to stow my bag or let me stay in a comfortable lounge area. But after a couple of hours of not hearing anything, past the 4pm check in time and everyone else that had been asked to wait already getting rooms I went to the desk to see what was going on. It was busy at the desk so I had to wait. The person that I finally talked to realized that they had given the room I was to get away. No excuse for that!!! They found me another room and sent me on my way. Sadly I had to return as they programmed both keys incorrectly.

The room itself is nothing special. I was up high and in the back but I could still hear city sounds. It was very clean and comfortable. I was paying for concierge service but there was no free Internet. At over $300/night there should be free WiFi!!! Even the cheapest hotels have that amenity. I had access to the lounge on the 23rd floor that I only used for evening snacks. Some people brought their kids in. So instead of it being a quiet place for business people to get some discussions and work done it was a day care center with screaming kids running around!!! IOW it is was not worth the extra cost. Sadly the day care center is becoming all too common for hotels. These used to be for the business traveller and not the families. Perhaps hotels should rethink their lounge plans?

Check out was fast and pleasant

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back of the building.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
BrooklynMarriott, Front Office Manager at Marriott New York at the Brooklyn Bridge, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay with us at the Brooklyn Marriott.

Please accept our apologies for the concerns you experienced. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to learn more so this doesn't happen again to you or anyone else who stays with us at the hotel.

I can be reached at 646-235-2983.

Meghna
Front Office Manager
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed here in March for a nephew's wedding. My wife and sister in law come to Brooklyn and New York in general 2-3 times a year. This place had good reviews so we decided to spend less money for more space and parking which is what this Brooklyn hotel has to offer.

Easy to find parked car and went right in. Mike at bellstand was courteous and friendly to us. Helped us to the front desk and was very polite. At the desk itself Mary was sweet and helpful as was Nick very nice to us and asked questions about our trip in from Maine. Even put us in the vip area of the hotel so we could use the vip lounge which I'll get to later. Room was easy to find clean too.

The room itself probably needs updating. Almost all the furniture was nicked and dinged and the bathroom was very worn looking for a Marriott Hotel. And vent was dusty and the toilet looked off like it just gets wiped down not cleaned. Bed was so comfortable and never heard any other people very quiet which for New York is almost unheard of.

We went to check out the vip lounge on our first night in Brooklyn and the view was amazing. They had little pizzas and they were so good as were the red velvet cupcakes. The view is great you can see whole city. We asked about getting chips for the onion dip and that's where the gentleman who was the waiter in the vip lounge Don started complaining that the chef doesn't give him the food people want and leave him with bagels and tortilla chips instead of potato chips and he was very negative and mean. We had with the hotels restaurants breakfast next morning. Omelet cook was so nice and courteous. But we had to be reseated as the table was close to kitchen and they were playing rap music very loudly and kept hearing the n word along with a lot of other profanity in the rap music and also the conversations going on back there it was very unprofessional the music was way too loud and very offensive. Also asked for a latte and our server think his name was Cabb said machine was broken and they couldn't make them. I eventually went over to the Starbucks in the lobby and got my own. Breakfast was good overall but high priced

We were leaving to go out and Jose the bellman was so nice and thoughtful. Called us a cab showed us on a map exactly where we wanted to go in the village and even offered suggestions for dining. Great asset to hotel and kept telling us to be safe and have a nice day.

Overall not a bad hotel good for the money too.

Room Tip: Stay here over Manhattan parking cheaper and attached also way bigger lobby.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
BrooklynMarriott, Manager at Marriott New York at the Brooklyn Bridge, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello,

My name is John and I'm the Director of Operations at the Brooklyn Marriott Hotel. Thank you very much for staying with us in March and providing feedback from your stay.

It was great to read that the majority of your experience was very positive but please accept my apologies for some of the other concerns you mentioned.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you at your earliest convenience.

I can be reached at 973 766 4809.

Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to hearing from you.

John McPartlan
Hales Corners, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

If you are staying on Brooklyn this is a great location for a hotel- very pricey though. Parking is a good deal though at 25.00 a nite. We were able to lower room cost by using Marriot points.
Room this time was noisy with doors shutting late at night.

• Stayed April 2014
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I splurged by using up our remaining batch of Marriott rewards points and spent a Saturday night at this hotel as a mini getaway. (We live in the NYC suburbs but don't get to Brooklyn often at all and knew it would be fun to explore.) Check in was a breeze - the man at the desk was a DELIGHT and really went above and beyond to welcome us, acquaint us with the area and even offer some snacks from behind the registration desk. The lobby had chilled "spa water" (water with lots of berries, mint and melon) which was a nice touch.

Our room on the 7th floor had a nice street view. The room was lovely but basic. Very neutral in decor, clean, not too big but not tiny. Functional and clean. The location is FANTASTIC!!!!! There we were in walking distance to many attractions. If you love to walk and explore neighborhoods, shops, architecture, the waterfront, parks, restaurants - this is a GREAT place to stay, From here we walked to the Brooklyn Bridge, the promenade areas and the many parks along the water, Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights, synagogues and churches - tons of great stuff to see. The area is safe, clean and wonderful!!!

The concierge staff helped us select a dinner spot (Henry's End, about a 15 minute walk - see my separate review - it was excellent).

Parking at the hotel was $25 for 24 hours. The valet was smooth and fast. The neighborhoods nearby have very limited street parking so this worked out well for us.

We are silver level Marriott folks so we got free wifi in the room. It is $14.95 per day if you have to pay for it.

The only negative I would say about the hotel is that the walls are a little thin. We could definitely hear voices of folks in neighboring rooms and in the hallway. But, that is common in many hotels and wasn't a huge deal.

I hope we will return to this spot for more fun in Brooklyn!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed at this hotel right after Christmas through New Year's and into January, and it was perfect. The pricing of Manhattan hotels were skyrocketed due to the holidays, so we chose to stay in Brooklyn for this trip (second trip to NYC). The neighborhood was really nice, and it was pretty close to two different Subway stops (Jay Street Metro and City Hall. Jay Street is behind the hotel, and City Hall was, of course, by City Hall). It was only a few blocks from the Brooklyn Bridge (which unfortunately we ran out of time and didn't get to visit!).
It was a nice change from the smaller, more cramped hotels in Manhattan. It was a pretty nice sized room, clean, and very secure. During the evening and night, they wouldn't let you to an elevator unless you showed your room key. It was pretty good knowing how secure they kept it! We stayed there for 8 nights, one of the nights which we had to add on because of our flight being delayed due to snow. Thankfully they let us book it a few days beforehand in case that did happen, and made it to where we could cancel it if our plane wasn't delayed.
The only complaints I have is that there was no free wifi, and the "Starbucks" in the hotel is actually just the restaurant that served Starbucks coffee (so gift cards were not accepted, which is what I had!). There was no breakfast so we counted on that, but thankfully there was one right behind the hotel. But neither of those things were a big deal at all.
The only problem we had was a room mix up at check in. First our room wasn't ready, because they thought it was just a one bed room (which wasn't what we booked). We had to change in the lobby bathroom out of our plane clothes before going in the city. Then when they gave us a room a few hours later, there was still only one bed for the 4 of us. The woman at the front desk acted like it was our fault, stating that's what we had asked for (once again, it wasn't! We even double checked the reservation online). Thankfully she was the only rude staff member we met the whole time we were there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott New York at the Brooklyn Bridge? Share your experiences!