“Stay away! Bed bugs!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown

You added Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   279 Butler Street, Brooklyn, NY 11217 (Formerly Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Stay away! Bed bugs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We checked in to this hotel on October 19 (Room 214). That night, we found a bed bug in our room. We caught it and took it down to show the person at the front desk who immediately became rude and defensive. She denied it was a bed bug, even though I have seen them before from living in NYC and know what they look like. She wasn't apologetic at all, and we had to argue with her for a long time before she would agree to refund the money for the room. Unfortunately, even though we put all of our clothes through the dryer and examined all of our belongings after we left, I still ended up with bed bugs in my apartment after returning from the trip. I ended up spending thousands of dollars to have an exterminator come out and treat my apartment. I contacted the manager and he denied that we ever found a bed bug in the hotel and refused to offer any sort of financial assistance for the extermination. From the sound of his e-mail, I don't think they ever even treated the room where we were staying. Be warned - staying here may end up costing you thousands of extra dollars to treat your home for bed bugs.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Kyoto, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It's clean, comfortable and economical. But between the noisy draft coming through the window and the trucks and daytime construction beeps and bangs, don't even think about staying here without earplugs. Seriously, once the plugs are in, it's not bad. Breakfast is included, which although modest, is a plus. The street is a little creepy at night - it's a dead zone between two great neighborhoods - Park Slope and Boerum Hill. Staff is friendly. And it's only a 9 minute walk to Smith Street and a short walk to the RR subway. WiFi is good. Showers are good. Not bad for budget travelers.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

The hotel itself is fine. I might have given it four stars except for the noise. Bring ear plugs. There are diesel trucks on the street outside, sirens, car horns, construction noise, etc. This isn't the hotels fault, but it is a fact. Also, there were noisy guests in the hall late at night. I would suggest asking for a room that is not on the street side (Butler) and that might help. The room I stayed in was a single king and it was clean and well decorated. It was quite compact, but that was fine. The house keeping was good as well. I had the free breakfast one morning and it was o.k. but bland of course. Besides being noisy, Brooklyn is expensive, and this also enters into my giving this hotel three stars. I felt i was had to pay more than I should for a Comfort Inn stay. However, the alternatives were even more expensive - if you could even fine an available room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. I am not sure if one exists here, but some may be quieter than mine was. I w...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

The staff was great, very helpful and friendly. The room was quite small, a hole in the carpet, a couple of holes in the wall, and the furniture was rather shoddy. The bed was comfortable and the room was reasonably clean. When I first checked in the television and one lamp did not work, but engineering quickly fixed the problems. My room faced Butler St. and there is a auto repair shop of some sort across the street. In the middle of the night vehicles would get towed in, and there was a lot of loud beeping as the tow trucks backed into the shop. I'd recommend getting a room that does not face Butler. The breakfast, as others have noted, was okay. I've eaten a lot of hotel breakfasts, and on a scale of 1-10, this one was a 3 or 4. The hotel is close to a subway stop, restaurants, and shopping. However, I would not recommend that a single woman walk in this area at night. The price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing Butler Street. The people in the room next to me went in and out a lot...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Brandon W, Manager at Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Comfort Inn. We are passionate about service. Our goal is to provide a memorable experience for every guest that stays with us. It seems that we did not live up to your expectation. We will take your words and apply them to our process as we get better every day.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

My review is based on my interaction with the management of the hotel. Booked via a third party discount site (Groupon). Unfortunately trip was cancelled at the last minute. Knowing that there were no changes or refunds allowed, I called the hotel to see if they would work with me (partial credit or rebooking). Was told by the front desk that they would need to speak with the Manager. A few minutes later I was told that I had to call central booking and was transferred. Call got disconnected. Called back and was transferred again. Disconnected again. Third try was a charm. Unfortunately central booking said I had to work via Groupon.

So I called Groupon. I reached them no problem. They reminded me of the terms and conditions which I was aware of. They were willing to call the hotel to see if they would be willing to approve a cancellation. I have them the name of the person I had been speaking with.

Imagine my surprise when Groupon told me that the hotel refused to authorize the cancellation. So my one star is because they gave me the run-around. Why not simply tell me that at the beginning? I was aware that I was asking for a consideration. They could have easily saved me the time and hassle (I had a sick baby that I was dealing with) and told me upfront that nothing could be done. Instead they just chose to pass the buck.

Shame on them for creating more of an issue than the situation deserved.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Brandon W, Manager at Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We hope that your experience with Groupon doesn't sour you on the hotel as we have a wonderful property. It is always our goal to provide a wonderful and memorable stay to all of our guests.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

Smallest hotel room I've ever been in. Very clean.

Great staff. May especially was very helpful with navigating the city for us and even called a private car to take us to the airport on our last day (which is extremely affordable to our surprise).

Easy access to Manhattan and close to the new "trendy" part of Brooklyn. 3 stars out of 5.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

The hotel is located a few blocks away of subway so get to Manhattan not take longer than 40 minutes. The zone of hotel is quiet, the facilities are clean enough and all the personnel is very helpful, but especially Steinmann, nice guy. Also the wi-fi works very good. And the breakfast was good enough.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown? Share your experiences!