“Not very considerate management” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   279 Butler Street, Brooklyn, NY 11217 (Formerly Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not very considerate management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My review is based on my interaction with the management of the hotel. Booked via a third party discount site (Groupon). Unfortunately trip was cancelled at the last minute. Knowing that there were no changes or refunds allowed, I called the hotel to see if they would work with me (partial credit or rebooking). Was told by the front desk that they would need to speak with the Manager. A few minutes later I was told that I had to call central booking and was transferred. Call got disconnected. Called back and was transferred again. Disconnected again. Third try was a charm. Unfortunately central booking said I had to work via Groupon.

So I called Groupon. I reached them no problem. They reminded me of the terms and conditions which I was aware of. They were willing to call the hotel to see if they would be willing to approve a cancellation. I have them the name of the person I had been speaking with.

Imagine my surprise when Groupon told me that the hotel refused to authorize the cancellation. So my one star is because they gave me the run-around. Why not simply tell me that at the beginning? I was aware that I was asking for a consideration. They could have easily saved me the time and hassle (I had a sick baby that I was dealing with) and told me upfront that nothing could be done. Instead they just chose to pass the buck.

Shame on them for creating more of an issue than the situation deserved.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Brandon W, Manager at Comfort Inn Brooklyn - Downtown, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We hope that your experience with Groupon doesn't sour you on the hotel as we have a wonderful property. It is always our goal to provide a wonderful and memorable stay to all of our guests.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Smallest hotel room I've ever been in. Very clean.

Great staff. May especially was very helpful with navigating the city for us and even called a private car to take us to the airport on our last day (which is extremely affordable to our surprise).

Easy access to Manhattan and close to the new "trendy" part of Brooklyn. 3 stars out of 5.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

The hotel is located a few blocks away of subway so get to Manhattan not take longer than 40 minutes. The zone of hotel is quiet, the facilities are clean enough and all the personnel is very helpful, but especially Steinmann, nice guy. Also the wi-fi works very good. And the breakfast was good enough.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Fareham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I read some mixed reviews on this hotel, but as we had been to NYC a couple of times before i felt confident i could find my way around without too many problems, and the price was very competitive.

The hotel is in a mixed light industrial area and while i was comfortable walking the 10 minutes to a big subway hub during the day i did feel slightly conscious walking back at night. We didnt have any trouble at all but being a tourist i just felt very self conscious being out of the way of the main tourist areas. The Barclays Centre subway station has about 7 or 8 lines running through it so its ideal to get anywhere. The last couple of nights we grabbed a cab for about $6-7 but that was mainly as our feet were hurting after being out all day.

Once inside the hotel, the staff were all really friendly, always smiling and saying hello when passing in the halls etc. Checkin was quick and efficient and as we arrive early in the morning they were happy to securely store our luggage until our room was ready.

The room was slightly on the small side, which meant both double beds were pushed up against opposite walls with a gap in between. Our bed was right up against the window and AC unit. whatever we did to the AC unit we could not turn it off or adjust the temperature which meant a droning noise next to your head all night.

The room was clean and tidy, and the bathroom was quite large and comfortable with a nice powerful shower. There was also fast free wifi. but there was no safe in the room which would have been a nice extra.

There is a free breakfast which consisted of yoghurt, toast, bagels, bacon & eggs and fresh waffles. Most people seemed intrigued by the 2 waffle makers where you made your own waffles (though most didnt read the instructions). Once you get the hand of it they're really simple to make. But the problem was the number of tables in the room. They are crammed in like sardines which gets very frustrating. They do have cardboard trays and my suggestion would be to get what you want and take it to your room if you can.

Overall I would have rated this hotel 4 stars if it was in Manhattan, but if your out all day and you want to get changed for the evening (which we did twice), then this becomes very tedious and wastes at least an hour round trip on the subway and walking to the hotel. Next time i would pay a little more to stay in Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Pros:
Hotel is located 10 minutes from the major Subway hub giving you quick access to Manhattan without expensive cab rides.
Rooms were clean, not the biggest but for my needs they were great.
Service was excellent everyone was very nice and helped whenever we needed something.
Not an expensive stay.
Breakfast is free and okay but don't expect A1.

Cons:

Sound isolation could be better from the door and the windows.
Sound coming from the street below makes it sometimes difficult to fall back asleep if you are a light sleeper in the early morning hours due to the industries around getting ready for the work day.
We were also unlucky to be near a room full of teenagers on our last night who would hang around the lobby at 2am in the morning just chatting and drinking, and constantly slamming their door.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
North Adams, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed here this past weekend for my friend's Brooklyn Bachelorette Party. It was just the two of us staying and we snagged one of the last rooms available (2 full beds). We stayed in room 215 which was a corner room overlooking the hotel parking lot, so it was very quiet. We were next to a vending machine and the stairwell, but neither disturbed us. The room and bathroom were clean. There was a few wear and tear spots around the room, but they weren't immediately noticeable and it didn't make it look shabby or anything. There was an outlet in the lamp for my friend to plug in her phone to charge, but I had to crawl under the desk to plug mine in. There was also no clock in the room.

My only complaint about the hotel was about the breakfast set up. They way they have the food stations set up, it creates a bottleneck at the back and if you're waiting for your toast to finish then you block everyone else trying to get items. Also, there was definitely not enough seats and tables, so we had to carry our food back to our rooms. This would've been made easier if we had known they had food trays (which they had, but we didn't see). Other than that the food was decent. I had a yogurt, bagel, danish, and hard boiled egg. My friend tried the eggs and didn't like them.

Yes, the immediate surrounding area was a bit off-putting (very industrial), but it felt safe and we walked around during the day and night undisturbed. We had only brief interactions with the staff when checking in and out, but they seems nice. Our toilet would begin to run after a few flushes and when I let the girl at the front desk know this as we checked out, she immediately began taking notes and I felt like she would actually follow up with their mechanic to get it fixed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
albuquerque n.m. 87120
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Don't be put off by the immediate surroundings here. There were a lot of food truck distributor stations and other industrial buildings. but the area looked very safe. Our room was small, but very clean and tidy. The bath was blazingly clean and well appointed. The hotel is a half block from 3rd avenue with lots of shops and stores and not more than a half hour walk to lots of restaurants. They offer a full breakfast with the room (bacon, eggs, waffles, fruit, pastries, cereal, coffee, juice). The staff were very friendly and helpful in getting cabs, etc. We stayed one night and then after a week long trip, another night. Both stays were very comfortable.

Room Tip: The higher the better. There is an elevator. Some street noise early in the morning.