“Value for your money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Jyvaskyla, Finland
“Value for your money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I spend one week in this hotel with my family. We had one room with two king size beds. Room was not so big but working well. Window were to back side of hotel where we could see Manhattan quite well. Room service was good level. AC was quite noisy and sometimes not so well working. Bathroom was ok not big not small. Hotel has only one elevator so it is quite busy sometimes. Reception service was very good level. We had breakfast included it was good. Same every day but plenty of regular choices for this price level hotel. Vending machines have some basic things and ice machine also working. Location of hotel in Brooklyn is very good: peaceful area, many nice restaurants close by and small shops. Also metro station Union street in line R is very close and this connection is very good to downtown. This hotel is not luxury but regular and well working compared to price you have to pay for it. I can recommend to leisure and small budget business travelers.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mountain View,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express NY-Brooklyn and unfortunately had a very bad experience, probably the worst with a hotel I had in years. As an IHG platinum member (for many years) I often stay in properties around NYC and decided to check this property. When I arrived around 3am in the morning, just off a flight from San Francisco and after a long taxi ride, I met the receptionist who notified me that unfortunately they do not have a room for me and will need to transfer me to another hotel. She also claimed they tried calling me and left me voice mails. Unfortunately that was not true as I never got any call from the hotel, neither did I have a voice mail. As a platinum member of IHG I do not expect to arrive at a IHG property and find out I do not have a room (is that overbooking??) and I definitely do not expect it to happen without a notification. I could have booked another room very easily if they let me know. The receptionist asked that I come the day after to check in to the hotel. So at 3:30am at night, I found myself transferring to a Fairfield Inn down the road (where the staff was very very nice.) So in addition to the night time inconvenience, I had to check out in the morning, check in at another hotel and be late to my meeting. I decided not to come back to the hotel the following day (or ever.) Needless to say no one from the hotel contacted me to apologize or offer any compensation. What was even more ridiculous is that when I complained with IHG, they kept telling me that the hotel is responsible to get back to me and they could not do anything. Obviously not what you expect from a chain.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Brandon W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience. It is never our intention to relocate a guest to another hotel, regardless of time. We hope that this won't hinder your opinion of the brand.
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

we recently had many family staying in brooklyn for a locl wedding. This hotel was great helping us in every way. We even hung out at the balcony breakfast/community room late one night catching every one in our party as they came into the lobby below! Staff was wonderful, rooms small but very comfortable, great sheets, great water pressure, even parking lot behind hotel.

Room Tip: All our rooms (12) were great.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Brandon W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It always touches us to know that we helped enhance a guest's experience. We are dedicated to creating a memorable experience for every guest, every stay. The next time that you stay with us will be even better.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Honestly, this was the worst experience I've had at a hotel in a long time. Let me list the issues, starting with the small and building to the horrible:

- The elevator (there is just one) has about the slowest service, ever. It was not uncommon for us to wait 10-15 minutes (really!) for it to come to the lobby.
- The room was clean and looked fine, but the walls were paper thin. There are animals allowed in this hotel and we were awake to the sounds of barking and screeching neighbors.
- The shower was lovely, but the fan in didn't work so we were gasping for breath after a hot shower--worse than a sauna.
- At night, around 10pm, there are sketchy looking people who congregate outside, smoking and who knows what else. They were making lewd comments to people walking in.
- When you ask the front desk to call you a cab, they call a private car company, who has no meter and charges whatever the hell they want. We were charged $9 to go about 5 blocks.
- Last, and MOST IMPORTANT, when we first pulled up to the hotel, I double parked out front while my dad ran in to ask where we can park. They told him there is parking around the back. So we pulled back there and came in to check-in. At no time did anyone mention parking again--and neglected to say we'd need a pass to put in the window. The following morning, of course, my car was towed from the lot all the way to Coney Island. I had the pleasure of taking 1/2 of my only full day in Brooklyn carting all the way across town to pay $136 to get my car back. At least the guy at the tow-lot was nice!
- The woman at the front desk of the hotel was not sympathetic, in fact she was downright rude, Rolling her eyes and asking what she was supposed to do about it. First--you are supposed to pay, since it was your hotel's fault. But even if that truly couldn't be done, an apology on behalf of the hotel would have gone a long way.

Truthfully, if the car hadn't been towed and if she hadn't been so rude and dismissive about the whole thing, I probably wouldn't have bothered to write a review about the rest, but when you add up all of the things wrong, this was just a terrible experience. We checked out a day early, and will never, ever, ever, be back.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
We are terribly sorry that your experience didn't live up to expectation. Your stay was nowhere near indicative of the type of service that we normally provide. It is our goal to always provide a phenomenal stay for each and every guest that stays with us. We hope that you give us another opportunity to WOW you!
San Diego, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

hotel staff very helpful//hotel clean and roomy//I booked with the hotel so no middle man//walking to many restaurants and coffee houses in Brooklyn//many metro stops to the city//I used my points for credit for a night//try not to book a holiday//more expensive/I went on memorial day//about 2 years ago I was at butler st. holiday in//kind of a nightmare//smellyroom next to broken soda machine//too noisy next to elevator//

Room Tip: pick a room in the back of hotel on the 3rd plus floor
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

Henry (front desk) went all out to be friendly, courteous, and welcoming to this hotel. The elevators will have you tearing your hair out, and there is only one. The room is very standard HIX, but comfortable nonetheless. (Very) small in terms of square footage, so don't bring the kitchen sink. Pillows and bed slept great, plenty of counter space in the bathroom and great lighting (always a plus for women). Hotel is one block from the metro, and within walking distance to some great little restaurants (try Dino BBQ across the street). 5 min cab ride to Fulton Street shopping and 15 min from lower Manhattan makes this hotel easily recommendable and a repeat stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a low floor so you can use the stairs. Elevators are pain-stakingly slow.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn? Share your experiences!