“Good location, nice breakfast and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
Taipei
“Good location, nice breakfast and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is my second time to this hotel. It's near by union street station (metro R line) which is good for me to commute from Brooklyn to NYC. The breakfast is nice. Good Coffee. The staff is friendly. It's good to stay in this hotel for business trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This place is in a great location and is completely inexpensive. With that said it is about what you would expect for a low cost hotel. When we arrived the parking for the hotel was completely taken (which wasn't a big deal given that there's a lot directly up the street). The room is basic, pretty small, no frills but it has everything you need. To be honest the best part of the place was the housekeeping staff. We were leaving our room on a rainy fall day and said good morning to a woman in housekeeping and she mentioned that it was raining outside and asked if I had brought my umbrella. I laughed and said that I hadn't and I'd just have to deal with it and she actually loaned me hers. I thought that was really nice. I hope that the staff at this hotel is treated well and taken care of, they were the one thing that really stood out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

“Double charged my credit card”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012
people found this review helpful

Stayed there on the 7th May for 3 nights, have paid my bill by cash at the end of stay, however, couple of days later, they charged my credit card for the same amount. Have contact them several times, no one bother to take action to refund my card. This is very unprofessional."
I've got the same problem with my credit card l!
If your nerves and health is important for you - never stay at this hotel!
Booked one night in this hotel (from 10/14 to 10/15/2012).I booked a room "on line" via Expedia. (paid $158.59). The hotel's staff charged my credit card without my permission for $243.36. Contacted to the hotel several times but nobody even tried to refund my money back. Very,very,very bad and unprofessional service!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
inverness, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

There is much to say about this hotel, how my phone didn't work and the staff for three days couldn't fix it; how my coffee machine likewise was on the blink; how the guy in charge of cleanup runs the place as indicated by him blasting the community TV on a hip hop channel; how there is serious understaffing so those working here are unfriendly at best and actively hostile some of the time. It is surprising to me Holiday Inn would tarnish its good brand by attaching it name to this mess.

But the killer was the noise. My room was next to the ice machine which was jet engine loud, on and off, all night. The room also essentially was a closet off the main dining area so at 5am when help arrived to crash around the tables and chairs and bang pots and pans, the sound was in my room. The doors to the guest rooms fit so poorly and are of such lousy quality that sound not only travels through them but seems to get amplified.

If the street surrounding the hotel was something other than trash, auto repair shops and boarded windows, I might have considered moving out there for the night.

Room Tip: avoid each end of the hallways (near the stairs which guests have to use because the elevator is so...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear dickinverness,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the noise caused you and regret you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Myrna M
HONG KONG
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

\Disappointing Hotel staff
PostedAugust 25, 2012
I have to say my experience with the service of the hotel staff was downright disappointing. It began upon our arrival when we were placed in a room we did not reserve. I made a reservation for a twin-bed room since I was traveling with my teenage son. However, the reception staff checked us into a double bed room.
On the next-day-morning of our stay, I provided an email confirmation of the reservation at the check-in desk. I was told that as soon as the rooms were cleaned, I would be able to switch to the twin-bed room. I told them that we may go out during the day since we had some errands to run. The receptionist appeared agitated and she told me in that case, we should pack our belongings and wheel our suitcases to the check-in desk. I emphasized that my request was simply wanting to know when we can move into our twin-bed room and if she could give me a certain answer but she ignored me and just proceeded to occupy herself with her other business on the desk.
I received no calls nor any explanations from the hotel staff at all until we left.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear LI JING H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in us and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence soon.

Ferdinand G.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel during my recent NY stay, I was so scared after reading the last couple of reviews. I was on the 7th floor, my room was clean, was not affected by noise and it was a nice stay. We made it to breakfast one morning and it wasn't bad at all. It was the typical continental breakfast. Overall I would gladly stay here again, it was close to the train station and places to grab a bite. Great value for your money!

• Stayed August 2012
Sandwich, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

As a first-time traveler to NYC, I was looking for a decently priced hotel in Brooklyn to visit family. We chose Holiday Inn for the recognizable name and having stayed in Holiday Inns before in other locations. From the moment of arrival our experience went from bad to worse - after a six hour drive, the last hour of which was white-knuckle driving in rush hour traffic in NYC-we just wanted to park and go to our room. Guess what! No parking! Having never been to NYC before we did not know we had to pre-reserve parking in the hotel's small lot and ended up using a pay-lot a few buildings down the street where you leave your vehicle and keys. Uncomfortable for small town folk, but ok that's settled. Next, the room - we open the door to discover a tiny room taken up mostly by a bed. Well, we'd reserved a double bed - there were 3 adults and a preschool age child, no way we could fit in one bed. Called down to the desk and informed there were no double bed rooms available because of some large group taking them all. That night we discovered the worst feature of the room - the ice machine was right outside our door. Not only did the thing make noise of its own all night, people kept coming to use it ALL NIGHT (no refrigerators in rooms so I guess needing ice for coolers?) talking loudly, filling buckets and coolers with ice sometimes for ten minutes or more at a time. INCREDIBLY LOUD. The breakfast area was five steps from our door, so in the morning we were awoken by the loud TV and people scraping chairs, moving tables, talking, etc. The second night a large group of young people decided to sit in the breakfast area and play cards or something - they were out there past 11pm screaming, laughing, moving chairs and generally being disrespectful and noisy.

If anyone from HI reads this: rooms 211 and 213 should be maintenance/staff areas NOT GUEST ROOMS. Your guest rooms should not be smack against such high-traffic and noise areas. Failing that, the doors should be heavier/soundproof. Ours was a thin wooden door that you could see a 1/2 inch of light around letting in unwanted noise and light all night. Also, the side door from the street to the stairwell should be locked from the outside. I was very disconcerted to realize you could simply walk in and out that side door whether you were a guest or not and no one at the front desk would see you enter.

Other than the glaring deficiency of our room placement, I will say the hotel was clean and bright. The breakfast was ok and the staff were helpful. A quick walk to Park Slope and 5th avenue. As long as you dont get stuck in 211 or 213, probably a decent place to stay. No swimming pool, no free parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't on the second floor!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear CapeMom_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad you found our breakfast and staff service commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology for the noise levels you experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn? Share your experiences!