“only attempt if you REALLY can't find somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars

You added Greenpoint YMCA to your Saves list
Greenpoint YMCA
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   99 Meserole Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11222   |
San Francisco, California
“only attempt if you REALLY can't find somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I cannot think of enough bad things to say about the ymca ( or the y as many call it with a look of pity on their faces )

Many of the rooms are let to welfare residents or the homeless, making the place feel like a psychiatric ward at times, seriously - many look like junkies and prisoners or the sort I'd never dream of speaking to on the streets ( although I tried to say hello to a few in here and regretted it ) let alone sharing a building with.
It's easy to spot the passers through, they generally seem more normal.

I was reminded many times that this is a hostel not a hotel.

I stayed for several weeks as my budget couldn't stretch to a hotel and had to change rooms four times due to noisy neighbours ( I don't even consider myself fussy ) ( I was put in a room which was in middle of being fumigated )

There are cockroaches crawling about, someone in the communal mens bathroom on the fourth floor would defecate repeatedly all over the seat ( someone in the girls one did it on the floor and someone I knew stood in it ) others spread toilet roll everywhere, and I swear that's dried snot on the wall of my room.

The walls are paper thin - so ear plugs are advised ( but won't cut all of the noise out ) and the basketball court booms it's sound up to the bedrooms above it until midnight most nights ( sounds like thunder or someone moving house )

Many residents smoke in their rooms although not allowed, sometimes weed.
the rooms need to be cleaned industrially - more than just grime
many have their tv on all through the night really loudly.

All of the staff besides one ( the skinny spanish girl with the glasses who has it in for everyone ) are really friendly - especially the cleaner.

Beds are comfyish despite the plastic sheets for bed bugs

top tip - use the bathroom on the second floor - it's by far newer and more clean

Room Tip: rooms on the fourth floor seem the quietest - ask to see rooms before you book if possible - good no...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I believe that it s necessary for me to contribute to this page so that a fair asessment is taken into consideration by others who are looking for somewhere to stay while in NY city. I saw all the negative reviews and comments about how filthy the place was and felt quite disturbed since I had already committed myself and a group of fifteen (15) to staying there. Needless to say I went with a very heavy spirit but left quite pleased and this was a view shared by my entire group. This place is not crappy as some people have stated. It has some challenges e.g. the carpets are old and do leave a strange scent about the place but it is not offensive. Bed bugs, what bedbugs?? I looked hard and made sure to take precaution but never had any to deal with over the six days i spent there. Bathrooms - these were cleaned very often by the staff but it was the residents that made it filthy and occasionally smelly. Don't blame the staff for this. It was a bit, to go so far for the bathrooms and being a West Indian doing a communal bathroom was not my ideal but it was cleaned often and that made it bearable. Service - I found the staff to be very helpful and accomodating to your needs. If you deal with them respectfully they will be very courteous and helpful. Be a grouch, well enough said. Location - the community was very friendly and having the bus stops right on the corner made travelling so convenient. Would I return - certainly and this was the mutual agreement of my team, all fifteen (15) of us. Thank you Emma and all your staff for making my trip so good.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms are the best and most convenient overall when it comes to bathroom facilities...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

you can stay in a small but perfectly adequate single room with shared bathrooms, for half the cost as the uptown manhattan y. the staff here are great, all of the gym facilities, plus you're in the great polish/hipster neighbourhood of greenpoint, 15 minute walk to bedford L station smack in the middle of wburg (and then 10 minute train to union square).
why stay in a 12 bed dorm in chelsea for the same price? no thanks.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Olten, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Wouldn't recommend this hostel at all. The furnishing was very old and the rooms were not clean at all. Not to mention the very dirty bathrooms. Nevertheless the staff was very nice and helpful, which unfortunately can't make up for the bad state of the rooms.Had to stay there one night because it was already too late to get from JFK to Manhattan. Never again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Queens Village, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

i arrived from a very important meeting. i had many documents in my briefcase. i put the briefcase down on the "bed" (actually was a pile of garbage bags with a sheet over it) and went to use the "bathroom" down the hall. the bathroom was covered with bedbugs and i could hardly loosen my bolo before i was swarmed with roaches. i walked to the desk to complain but the man at the desk said "no polish" then gave me the finger.
not worth the 35 cents and skymiles on my AMEX!

Room Tip: ask for sandy
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
None
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

I read the reviews here that said "Bedbugs! Squalor! Mice! Cockroaches!" and I thought to myself, "I am a tough, savvy individual and I need somewhere to stay. I'll just check the room before I put the suitcase on the ground."

So, like an idiot I booked the place. Even managing to book was a miracle in itself considering the information in the online reservation form goes into a black hole in the internet and never comes back out again. I'm not going to tell you how I did it, though, because you should not go there. I am serious.

I checked the room when I went in, saw no sign of bedbugs, and thought I was safe. Then I found bites on my arms and ankles. Then I found a bedbug crawling out of a notebook. I found a bedbug on my leg. I found a bedbug in the bed. A small, cute mouse that probably had hantavirus occasionally emerged from underneath the furniture to nibble on crumbs I left on the floor. Small weird insects popped out of cracks and waved their antennae at me. Possibly they were baby cockroaches?

When I told them my room had bedbugs, they transferred me to another room. I had to wash all of my stuff and discarded my purse, suitcase, and backpack under the grounds that they were probably infested. I tried to get any kind of records (of previous infestations, of the treatment they had used for those infestations) for the room I was moving into but the front desk folks ended up "forgetting" about it with the shift change. I was taking a full time course at the time and was too tired to argue. I really wonder if they treat the rooms with bedbugs at all.

It's not worth it. Go somewhere else and pay more money for the peace of mind. New York is expensive anyway. You do not want to go here. Decontaminating your stuff is costly and time consuming. You will spend more time back home worrying that you brought bugs back with you or spread them somewhere else in New York.
This place is an infested hellhole. Don't get me wrong, I liked the underpaid and overworked front office people and the location. But, the Greenpoint YMCA is 99% bedbugs and other assorted vermin and management does not seem to care, so that is problematic.

Other reasons not to go: people smoke in their rooms and no one cares, the cleaning service happens sporadically at best, the quiet hours are a joke, BEDBUGS
DISEASE
MICE
BABY COCKROACHES
SQUALOR

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
oilerspoiler
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We weren't expecting much, but what we got made our stay miserable. We were charged 80 dollars a night, and so many things were wrong that it's almost funny. The blankets were grimy, and looked and smelled as if they hadn't been washed within any recent history. We could literally see a buildup of dirt. The bed themselves were ancient and incredibly uncomfortable. We could feel the springs in the mattress, and whenever I laid on my stomach the springs would be poking me in the ribs.

The old "air conditioner" shoved into the window was half broken. At it's coldest it would lightly blow mildly warm air. The hallway was actually cooler. At night we couldn't sleep with blankets because it was so hot, and just sitting still was uncomfortable.

The TV was very old and barely worked. We got three channels (the rest we either didn't get or were in Spanish. There were more working Spanish channels than anything else) and the tv wold end up "crashing", so we had to constantly unplug and replug the cable box. When a channel stopped working the TV would say to "adjust the antenna" which of course never worked.

We were given 4 towels for the entire week that we were there. Considering there were two of us, this would have made showering even more awkward than it already was. Luckily I brought my own towels. Some reviews on here say the maid would come occasionally to clean their rooms, but our room wasn't cleaned once the entire week we were there. She always seemed to be cleaning other people's rooms, but never ours.

We initially had problems getting the key to open the door. The lock was half broken, so we'd just keep spinning the key around and around with nothing happening. We called up the front desk to ask them to bring someone up to help us, and they said they would. No one ever came though. Eventually we learned that you had to pull the door towards you just the right way for it to work.

In the bathroom none of the stall doors would shut or lock. Pantless people were also smoking in there, and one day someone hung their dirty underwear from one of the stall doors. I found myself going down to the second floor bathroom a lot, as no one was ever in there and the doors actually locked. The showers also seemed to be a lot better and less likely to "flood". The showers on our floor had no place to put your shampoos and other things, so you had to put them on the floor. There was also no dry place to put your clothes or towel.

When we first got there, after a long and tiring day of traveling, being harassed in the subway by crazies, and dragging our luggage around for hours, of course it was annoying hearing we had to drag our suitcases up to the third floor, as there is no elevator.

Some good things: It's across from a police station, so it feels safe. The neighborhood is pretty nice and there are different places to eat (Some good pizza places). Not too far from Manhattan. Free breakfast at a diner. Unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good.

Now, I see a lot of people excusing the horrible place because it's a hostel, and saying it's the cheapest place to stay. BUT, it is NOT the cheapest place to stay. We stayed here because the cheapest place to stay, which has a private bathroom, working TV, air conditioning, and comfortable beds, was booked up. We had stayed there before and it was sooo nice and only charges 50 dollars a night. Meanwhile, the YMCA is quite dumpy and charged us 80...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Greenpoint YMCA? Share your experiences!