“A quick one night stay….” 2 of 5 stars

Special Rate
**SPECIAL FLASH SALE!!**
Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Brooklyn
Boston, Massachusetts
“A quick one night stay….”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My friend and I just got back from an quick one night stay at the Hotel. We searched hotels close to Barclay Center as we were going to attend a concert and this one popped up with a good rating. I have to agree with other reviews….a very noisy location due to the subway line being in front of the hotel. And yes, day walking around the area is ok but I would warn visitors new to the area that night patrolling may be too dangerous. The surrounding area of the hotel does look pretty run down. The hotel itself was average. The front desk attendant almost took a double payment from me - I had to mention payment was made and lucky for me, through experience, had instant proof on hand. They did not give me the room I requested and I noticed cigarette stains on furniture and sheets. All in all it wasn't a devastating experience and the hotel served well for the night. I doubt I would stay there for more than a quick weekend, if necessary. Subways that run into the city are about a 10-15 minute walk - coming back is much easier. It's a 35 minute subway ride into Manhattan (Times Square).

Room Tip: Our room was a standard with k/size - definitely small but accommodated the two of us.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you sharing your review! We are proud of our location in the "up-and-coming" neighborhood of Bed-Stuy, but Hotel Luxe does face some trade-offs in neighborhood aesthetics in order to offer its convenient location near the Barclay Center and NYC transportation. I am sorry that our Front Desk agent almost made a mistake with your reservation, but it does looks like we were able to get you into the room that you booked. We are happy to serve you and all of our future guests and we look forward to offering you a better stay in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

My sister and I stayed at the Luxe for several nights. When my sister learned that the room we had booked faced the noisy train, she asked to be moved to a room at the back of the hotel and was accomodated. In addition, a miscommunication had the hotel booking us in a night earlier than we planned and they refunded the money no problem.

Breakfast was pretty pathetic the mornings we were there because apparently fresh supplies came in the morning we left. Oh well. The coffee was good and the fresh fruit was appreciated.

Staff were extremely helpful and patient and we found the room to be comfortable and, unlike other reviewers, our floor was quite quiet. But... the hotel is in a part of Brooklyn that at night may not seem very safe especially if you use the subway from Manhattan. Even though there are plenty of young people including women walking around quite freely, the street life leading to the hotel seems a little threatening.

I would like to suggest that the Luxe and other Brooklyn hotels coordinate a shuttle service several times a day and night to the bridge subway station and back. It would be an incredible gesture and very helpful if tourists had a more convenient and perhaps safer way of navigating in and our of that part of the neighborhood.

I would definitely recommend the hotel even with the needs to improve mentioned above.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recommendation of Hotel Luxe with the TripAdvisor community! We are happy to hear that you found our hotel to be comfortable and our staff to be helpful. Your constructive criticism is much appreciated as we constantly strive to improve our services and provide exceptional experiences to our guests. Check back with us soon for a deluxe breakfast delivery program in which we deliver a fresh and handpicked breakfast to your room for your convenience. We will also work on the shuttle service per your wonderful suggestion!
Winter Park, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The only good things that can be said, the rooms are clean, the staff is pleasant. We stayed four nights and were moved twice. The walls are less than paper thin. The hotel seemed more like a place that people were living and partying all night. The hallways and rooms are fake wood floors, no sound barrier at all. Every night we had to call security as people were screaming, ranting, threatening one another. We were moved to a "quieter" floor, but same situation. A lot of families seemed to be living there. The strong smell of marijuana came thru the vent system every night.
We should have moved to another hotel, but with our schedules and work we were stuck.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, not worth the sleepless nights and sketchy patrons.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise in the hotel at night, and want to let you know that we have recently upgraded our security team to make sure that all of our guests can spend their nights in peace and comfort. It is wonderful to hear that you found all of our accommodations clean and our staff friendly. Guest satisfaction is of utmost importance to us so I hope that we can have you back again to provide you with a better experience.
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Luxe for a 3 day trip to NYC June 2-5, 2014.

First, travelers should know that the area around the hotel is quite run down and the hotel fronts Atlantic Avenue which has an elevated subway line running down the middle of the street so there is noise coming from the subway. The trains are infrequent however. If this noise bothers you then you should consider another hotel. There was some hallway noise as suggested by other visitors which seemed to be loud. I suggest to the owners that they may wish to make the room doors tighter so the hall noise doesn't filter under the doors into the rooms. To us the noise was irrelevant, infrequent and not a problem. It didn't keep us up at night at all.

Second, unless you want to take a taxi or you want to drive around manhattan, the subway is your access to the big apple. Hotel Luxe is about a half mile from the Nostrand subway stop - about 5 small city blocks. If you can't or don't want to walk to the subway, you should again consider another hotel. We walked back and forth for 3 days - once late at night - after seeing a broadway play, and it was not a problem at all and we were not at all concerned for our safety. We found the neighborhood around the hotel to be clean and crime free and the neighborhood folks sitting out on the stoops were friendly.

The main point I want to make in this review is that hotel is very good, very clean - spotless in fact. The hotel was recently remodeled. The bathroom in our room was tile with new fixtures and nice shower. The room was clean. Free wi-fi. The room is small, but adequate for 2 people. The bed was comfortable and we slept very well. Security was good and the staff was attentive. We were quite impressed and will likely stay again on our next trip to NYC.

I only do reviews of hotels that stand out for their comfort, convenience and cost. Hotel Luxe stands out as a clean, comfortable hotel and a good value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Hawaiihikerguy,
We thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Luxe and our wonderful Brooklyn neighborhood! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Your comments serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. Your tips for travelers are very informative...we couldn't have said it better ourselves!
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was stuck in Brooklyn , NY late at night without a place to stay. Found Luxe at 10:00pm and they were able to give lodgings at a reasonable rate. Free continental breakfast (decent coffee) and free wifi and parking. The staff was always helpful and available. One negative, my room was on the 1st floor, which was located over the foyer, so I always heard guests and staff conversations any time I was in my room. The need to close up that hallway overlooking the foyer.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 1st floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to Hotel Luxe and other travelers! We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and our many complimentary services.

Oviedo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed at Hotel Luxe twice in the past month. I travel to Brooklyn to visit my GF and we stay here while I am in town. After the first time I stayed there I talked to the manager about honoring the same price I had when I was there the first time, he agreed and someone from the front desk sent me an emailed invoice confirmation of the total price and rate per night. When I checked in I was told the total would be $50 more. The employee behind the counter said the price on the weekends was $20 more per night (plus taxes $5 +/- a day). I explained I had an emailed invoice confirming the price and the manager said he would honor my previous visit price. They said they would have to check with the manager the next day when he came in to work.

After lunch the next day I stopped in at the front desk to make sure everything was as promised in the email. I was told that the NEW price was correct because the weekend rate is $20 more. I again explained I had the emailed invoice stating the price would be the same for all 4 nights I was there. They said and I quote; "The weekend price is $20 more, the manager apologizes for the misunderstanding on the email." Misunderstanding? How is there a misunderstanding? I called them directly to set up this reservation, I didn't use any of the travel sites, their website, nothing I spoke with them and had in writing an email directly from their "front desk" with the agreed upon price and they still would not honor the price.

I have pictures I can provided if they try and say this is not true. I paid the new price but was very disappointed they did not honor THEIR pricing.

On top of all this we had to call or ask the front desk everyday to have our room cleaned and serviced with new towels.

I am not sure if I will stay here again. Which is a shame because I liked the location of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Atlas04,

We appreciate your business and we are sorry to hear that you were upset with our competitive rates. Pricing in the hotel industry does change on a day-to-day basis. Regardless, we are happy to honor your discounted base rate, but we do have to adjust slightly for a premium service such as an upgraded room type or a reservation during a holiday/long-weekend. We hope you choose to stay with us again. Please send us an email before your next visit: HotelLuxeNY@gmail.com so we can make sure you are all set!
Upland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

This hotel has had a recent renovation but they made a huge acoustical design mistake. They used laminate flooring though out the entire building including the guestrooms. The problem is that any noise in the place bounces around and amplifies. Therefore the sounds of people walking down the hall, the sound of the elevator and people laughing and talking so u nd like they are in your room. It reminded me more of a college dorm than a hotel.

To make it worse, there was a gal that began beating on a door and yelling to get into the room at 12:30 am. I called the front desk and they said they would take care of this but it went on until almost 2:00 am. The staff refused to do anything about this.

Plus people were coming and going, loud talking and laughing in the halls till way after 3 AM!

Because of the lack of response from the hotel staff but mostly due to the acoustical design flaw I will never stay at a Hotel Luxe again!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Roger R,

We are so sorry that you did not get a restful sleep at our hotel! I have gone over your comments with our security and front desk teams and we have done additional training to ensure that all noise complaints are handled immediately and effectively. I assure you this problem has been corrected for future guests.

Been to Hotel Luxe? Share your experiences!