“Hotel Luxe - A good deal for New York hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Enjoy breakfast on us!
Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Madison, Wisconsin
“Hotel Luxe - A good deal for New York hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Luxe for a 3 day trip to NYC June 2-5, 2014.

First, travelers should know that the area around the hotel is quite run down and the hotel fronts Atlantic Avenue which has an elevated subway line running down the middle of the street so there is noise coming from the subway. The trains are infrequent however. If this noise bothers you then you should consider another hotel. There was some hallway noise as suggested by other visitors which seemed to be loud. I suggest to the owners that they may wish to make the room doors tighter so the hall noise doesn't filter under the doors into the rooms. To us the noise was irrelevant, infrequent and not a problem. It didn't keep us up at night at all.

Second, unless you want to take a taxi or you want to drive around manhattan, the subway is your access to the big apple. Hotel Luxe is about a half mile from the Nostrand subway stop - about 5 small city blocks. If you can't or don't want to walk to the subway, you should again consider another hotel. We walked back and forth for 3 days - once late at night - after seeing a broadway play, and it was not a problem at all and we were not at all concerned for our safety. We found the neighborhood around the hotel to be clean and crime free and the neighborhood folks sitting out on the stoops were friendly.

The main point I want to make in this review is that hotel is very good, very clean - spotless in fact. The hotel was recently remodeled. The bathroom in our room was tile with new fixtures and nice shower. The room was clean. Free wi-fi. The room is small, but adequate for 2 people. The bed was comfortable and we slept very well. Security was good and the staff was attentive. We were quite impressed and will likely stay again on our next trip to NYC.

I only do reviews of hotels that stand out for their comfort, convenience and cost. Hotel Luxe stands out as a clean, comfortable hotel and a good value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Hawaiihikerguy,
We thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Luxe and our wonderful Brooklyn neighborhood! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Your comments serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. Your tips for travelers are very informative...we couldn't have said it better ourselves!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was stuck in Brooklyn , NY late at night without a place to stay. Found Luxe at 10:00pm and they were able to give lodgings at a reasonable rate. Free continental breakfast (decent coffee) and free wifi and parking. The staff was always helpful and available. One negative, my room was on the 1st floor, which was located over the foyer, so I always heard guests and staff conversations any time I was in my room. The need to close up that hallway overlooking the foyer.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 1st floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to Hotel Luxe and other travelers! We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and our many complimentary services.

Oviedo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed at Hotel Luxe twice in the past month. I travel to Brooklyn to visit my GF and we stay here while I am in town. After the first time I stayed there I talked to the manager about honoring the same price I had when I was there the first time, he agreed and someone from the front desk sent me an emailed invoice confirmation of the total price and rate per night. When I checked in I was told the total would be $50 more. The employee behind the counter said the price on the weekends was $20 more per night (plus taxes $5 +/- a day). I explained I had an emailed invoice confirming the price and the manager said he would honor my previous visit price. They said they would have to check with the manager the next day when he came in to work.

After lunch the next day I stopped in at the front desk to make sure everything was as promised in the email. I was told that the NEW price was correct because the weekend rate is $20 more. I again explained I had the emailed invoice stating the price would be the same for all 4 nights I was there. They said and I quote; "The weekend price is $20 more, the manager apologizes for the misunderstanding on the email." Misunderstanding? How is there a misunderstanding? I called them directly to set up this reservation, I didn't use any of the travel sites, their website, nothing I spoke with them and had in writing an email directly from their "front desk" with the agreed upon price and they still would not honor the price.

I have pictures I can provided if they try and say this is not true. I paid the new price but was very disappointed they did not honor THEIR pricing.

On top of all this we had to call or ask the front desk everyday to have our room cleaned and serviced with new towels.

I am not sure if I will stay here again. Which is a shame because I liked the location of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Atlas04,

We appreciate your business and we are sorry to hear that you were upset with our competitive rates. Pricing in the hotel industry does change on a day-to-day basis. Regardless, we are happy to honor your discounted base rate, but we do have to adjust slightly for a premium service such as an upgraded room type or a reservation during a holiday/long-weekend. We hope you choose to stay with us again. Please send us an email before your next visit: HotelLuxeNY@gmail.com so we can make sure you are all set!
Upland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

This hotel has had a recent renovation but they made a huge acoustical design mistake. They used laminate flooring though out the entire building including the guestrooms. The problem is that any noise in the place bounces around and amplifies. Therefore the sounds of people walking down the hall, the sound of the elevator and people laughing and talking so u nd like they are in your room. It reminded me more of a college dorm than a hotel.

To make it worse, there was a gal that began beating on a door and yelling to get into the room at 12:30 am. I called the front desk and they said they would take care of this but it went on until almost 2:00 am. The staff refused to do anything about this.

Plus people were coming and going, loud talking and laughing in the halls till way after 3 AM!

Because of the lack of response from the hotel staff but mostly due to the acoustical design flaw I will never stay at a Hotel Luxe again!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Roger R,

We are so sorry that you did not get a restful sleep at our hotel! I have gone over your comments with our security and front desk teams and we have done additional training to ensure that all noise complaints are handled immediately and effectively. I assure you this problem has been corrected for future guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

our room was kept clean it wasn't noisy . We were well stock with towels ,I never had to complain about anything. I plan to visit Brooklyn in the near future and if the Luxe Hotel have any vacancies we would love to stay there

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Mrs Augustine Mayfield,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hotel Luxe Brooklyn! We are happy tp hear that you had a great stay and would be delighted to have you back at our hotel!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I liked it here, for what you pay you can't really complain and you get breakfast in the morning which may only be bagels, cereal etc, but that was enough, you don't come to New York to stay in your hotel, I read a few dodgy reviews about the area but to be honest, the people we came across couldn't have been nicer and we walked back to our hotel a few nights from the Train station when it was dark without a problem, we were a couple from Scotland on our first time in new York, in Hindsight it would have been easier to stay in Manhattan but probably a lot more expensive, rooms were cleaned every day, a big thanks to Miranda on the reception desk for sorting out our transfers back to Newark after the company had let us down, she wouldn't take no for an answer and is a credit to your hotel, I would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are delighted to we were able to make you feel safe and comfortable during your stay. Yes Miranda is a wonderful asset to our team..she and her coworkers truly care about their guests!
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Hotel Luxe was far further from the train station than I though. I definitely didn't want to walk there and back in the dark. However, most people I encounters see friendly - though people do seem intimidating.

The hotel rooms were more impressive than the area suggests. Mine was roomy, comfortable and warm. It was also very new and clean. The bed was nice, though the pillows could have been standard size. A fridge would be a great addition to the room. Here is no bar or restaurant at the hotel and so the option to buy drinks and food to eat in the room would be good.

The hotel did smell funny as other guests have noted in their reviews. The elevator smelt of cigarette and marijuana smoke, and my friend pointed out the second floor smelt of pot - when the lifts opened on the second floor I could smell it. Yuck!

The lift (elevator) was very slow. At one point I waited five minutes for the lift. The stairs are a better option .

Breakfast was disappointing. By 830-900 am most items are gone. I made porridge in the microwave and the polystyrene bowl provided melted, porridge everywhere. There was no fruit by the time I made it down stairs.

The walls were so thin - I could hear everything. One night the guest next door to me was having an argument - I believe on the phone - swearing and yelling and threatening abuse. This went on for about an hour. I reported it to the desk staff and someone from the hotel attended to the room shortly after. The woman did not cease her noise - stating this is a hotel and she can make noise.

It's close to the laundromat which is useful.

I asked to use the accessible restroom adjoining the breakfast room prior to my late night flight. I needed to freshen up. I was interrupted (walked in on) three times by the cleaning staff. None apologised to me but I received an apology when I told the desk staff. This made for quite a hurried time in the restroom. Not a great experience before a longhaul flight.

Room Tip: Take the stairs not the lifts. You wil,be waiting forever.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Carly F,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Luxe in NYC! We are proud to be part of a growing and developing Brooklyn, which as you mentioned can be an intimidating area at first glance. We are excited to be a part of the upswing of our neighborhood and look forward to its continued growth.

We are so happy that our hotel rooms were able to exceed your expectations! I have shared your comments about breakfast, the accidental interruptions, and the smell of smoke with our Housekeeping staff and our Security personnel so that we can do better in serving our guests in the future. We appreciate your comments and will work hard to give every guest a flawless stay.

Hope you had a safe flight home and look forward to seeing you again if you are in New York!

Been to Hotel Luxe? Share your experiences!