“Decent Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Toledo, Ohio
“Decent Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was stuck in Brooklyn , NY late at night without a place to stay. Found Luxe at 10:00pm and they were able to give lodgings at a reasonable rate. Free continental breakfast (decent coffee) and free wifi and parking. The staff was always helpful and available. One negative, my room was on the 1st floor, which was located over the foyer, so I always heard guests and staff conversations any time I was in my room. The need to close up that hallway overlooking the foyer.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 1st floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to Hotel Luxe and other travelers! We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and our many complimentary services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Oviedo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed at Hotel Luxe twice in the past month. I travel to Brooklyn to visit my GF and we stay here while I am in town. After the first time I stayed there I talked to the manager about honoring the same price I had when I was there the first time, he agreed and someone from the front desk sent me an emailed invoice confirmation of the total price and rate per night. When I checked in I was told the total would be $50 more. The employee behind the counter said the price on the weekends was $20 more per night (plus taxes $5 +/- a day). I explained I had an emailed invoice confirming the price and the manager said he would honor my previous visit price. They said they would have to check with the manager the next day when he came in to work.

After lunch the next day I stopped in at the front desk to make sure everything was as promised in the email. I was told that the NEW price was correct because the weekend rate is $20 more. I again explained I had the emailed invoice stating the price would be the same for all 4 nights I was there. They said and I quote; "The weekend price is $20 more, the manager apologizes for the misunderstanding on the email." Misunderstanding? How is there a misunderstanding? I called them directly to set up this reservation, I didn't use any of the travel sites, their website, nothing I spoke with them and had in writing an email directly from their "front desk" with the agreed upon price and they still would not honor the price.

I have pictures I can provided if they try and say this is not true. I paid the new price but was very disappointed they did not honor THEIR pricing.

On top of all this we had to call or ask the front desk everyday to have our room cleaned and serviced with new towels.

I am not sure if I will stay here again. Which is a shame because I liked the location of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Atlas04,

We appreciate your business and we are sorry to hear that you were upset with our competitive rates. Pricing in the hotel industry does change on a day-to-day basis. Regardless, we are happy to honor your discounted base rate, but we do have to adjust slightly for a premium service such as an upgraded room type or a reservation during a holiday/long-weekend. We hope you choose to stay with us again. Please send us an email before your next visit: HotelLuxeNY@gmail.com so we can make sure you are all set!
Upland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

This hotel has had a recent renovation but they made a huge acoustical design mistake. They used laminate flooring though out the entire building including the guestrooms. The problem is that any noise in the place bounces around and amplifies. Therefore the sounds of people walking down the hall, the sound of the elevator and people laughing and talking so u nd like they are in your room. It reminded me more of a college dorm than a hotel.

To make it worse, there was a gal that began beating on a door and yelling to get into the room at 12:30 am. I called the front desk and they said they would take care of this but it went on until almost 2:00 am. The staff refused to do anything about this.

Plus people were coming and going, loud talking and laughing in the halls till way after 3 AM!

Because of the lack of response from the hotel staff but mostly due to the acoustical design flaw I will never stay at a Hotel Luxe again!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Roger R,

We are so sorry that you did not get a restful sleep at our hotel! I have gone over your comments with our security and front desk teams and we have done additional training to ensure that all noise complaints are handled immediately and effectively. I assure you this problem has been corrected for future guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

our room was kept clean it wasn't noisy . We were well stock with towels ,I never had to complain about anything. I plan to visit Brooklyn in the near future and if the Luxe Hotel have any vacancies we would love to stay there

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Mrs Augustine Mayfield,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hotel Luxe Brooklyn! We are happy tp hear that you had a great stay and would be delighted to have you back at our hotel!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I liked it here, for what you pay you can't really complain and you get breakfast in the morning which may only be bagels, cereal etc, but that was enough, you don't come to New York to stay in your hotel, I read a few dodgy reviews about the area but to be honest, the people we came across couldn't have been nicer and we walked back to our hotel a few nights from the Train station when it was dark without a problem, we were a couple from Scotland on our first time in new York, in Hindsight it would have been easier to stay in Manhattan but probably a lot more expensive, rooms were cleaned every day, a big thanks to Miranda on the reception desk for sorting out our transfers back to Newark after the company had let us down, she wouldn't take no for an answer and is a credit to your hotel, I would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are delighted to we were able to make you feel safe and comfortable during your stay. Yes Miranda is a wonderful asset to our team..she and her coworkers truly care about their guests!
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Hotel Luxe was far further from the train station than I though. I definitely didn't want to walk there and back in the dark. However, most people I encounters see friendly - though people do seem intimidating.

The hotel rooms were more impressive than the area suggests. Mine was roomy, comfortable and warm. It was also very new and clean. The bed was nice, though the pillows could have been standard size. A fridge would be a great addition to the room. Here is no bar or restaurant at the hotel and so the option to buy drinks and food to eat in the room would be good.

The hotel did smell funny as other guests have noted in their reviews. The elevator smelt of cigarette and marijuana smoke, and my friend pointed out the second floor smelt of pot - when the lifts opened on the second floor I could smell it. Yuck!

The lift (elevator) was very slow. At one point I waited five minutes for the lift. The stairs are a better option .

Breakfast was disappointing. By 830-900 am most items are gone. I made porridge in the microwave and the polystyrene bowl provided melted, porridge everywhere. There was no fruit by the time I made it down stairs.

The walls were so thin - I could hear everything. One night the guest next door to me was having an argument - I believe on the phone - swearing and yelling and threatening abuse. This went on for about an hour. I reported it to the desk staff and someone from the hotel attended to the room shortly after. The woman did not cease her noise - stating this is a hotel and she can make noise.

It's close to the laundromat which is useful.

I asked to use the accessible restroom adjoining the breakfast room prior to my late night flight. I needed to freshen up. I was interrupted (walked in on) three times by the cleaning staff. None apologised to me but I received an apology when I told the desk staff. This made for quite a hurried time in the restroom. Not a great experience before a longhaul flight.

Room Tip: Take the stairs not the lifts. You wil,be waiting forever.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Carly F,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Luxe in NYC! We are proud to be part of a growing and developing Brooklyn, which as you mentioned can be an intimidating area at first glance. We are excited to be a part of the upswing of our neighborhood and look forward to its continued growth.

We are so happy that our hotel rooms were able to exceed your expectations! I have shared your comments about breakfast, the accidental interruptions, and the smell of smoke with our Housekeeping staff and our Security personnel so that we can do better in serving our guests in the future. We appreciate your comments and will work hard to give every guest a flawless stay.

Hope you had a safe flight home and look forward to seeing you again if you are in New York!
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

There were some pluses and some minuses
Plus: Location to Manhattan. The subway stop Norstrand Ave (A or C Train) was not as close as I thought it would be.

The outside looks very nice, in comparison to the other buildings around it.

The rooms were ok, the bed decent, and the bathrooms useable.

The staff was fairly friendly accept for the clerk who told me after I asked for a room change, "didn't I know that the hotel was in-front of the rail road tracks?" I found the answer a bit rude, I understood her point, but I didn't scan the area that closely. Also the tracks could have been underground like the rest of the subway, which is what I thought it was.

Minus: The walls were paper thin. There were all kinds of hall way noises and room noises from others that were distracting.

There were only 2 little desk drawers, nothing for really taking your clothes out of your luggage, and refolding into drawers which I'm used to doing. I didn't even think to ask if there were drawers. No refrigerator. Didn't think to ask about that either.

The Long Island Rail Road rumbles along about every 1/2 hr. Very distributing to sleep. I did change rooms to a room at the back which helped muffled the sound, but you could still feel the vibration from the train passing.

Skip the continental breakfast. The pastry was dried and looks like it hand been carried over from the day before. There were some ants crawling around the table on one occasion.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back. Skip the continental breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HotelLuxeNY, Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you for reviewing Hotel Luxe! Our Brooklyn location offers great access to Manhattan, Queens, and Long Island at a great value. We are faced with limited space in New York so we try to offer all the amenities we can to make your stay comfortable in a cozy space. If you need a fridge, our Front Desk would be happy to store your items in one of our pantry refrigerators for you until you need the items. If you need some extra storage space we would be happy to offer an extra luggage rack or an alternative to you to create more space! We are working on re-vamping our breakfast and your comments will help us ensure we making the right changes to keep all of our guests happy and give them a great start to their day. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Luxe...we hope to have you back soon!

Been to Hotel Luxe? Share your experiences!