“You really don't have to leave Brooklyn to enjoy great Italian Cuisine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sociale

Sociale
72 Henry Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sociale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #627 of 4,509 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Brooklyn, New York
“You really don't have to leave Brooklyn to enjoy great Italian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I have now eaten in Sociale 2 times now and all I can say is WOW! After dining here the first time, we were so taken by the food quality, the chef's preparations and the exemplary service, we both thought that it might be an abberation: so many times have we gone out to dine; had a wonderful meal, only to be disappointed the next time around. Not this place. The host, a charming man, remembered us from our visit a few weeks ago, and greeted us appropriately. This was followed by the waiter telling us the few nightly specials, and we ordered drinks. The appetizers came: I ordered the creamy polenta with funghi, and my wife ordered the squash soup (one of the nightly specials). This was the second time that I ordered the polenta (an appetizer to die for). It was just as tasty as the 1st time. My wife loved her squash soup. My wife then ordered the seared tuna salad (a beautiful presentation that was equally good to look at). I ordered the pan sauteed Hallibut over spinach with fingerling potatoes. Delicious. We shared a dessert (Ricotta cheesecake with berries and raspberry sorbet). I forgot to mention that we both had cocktails and a glass of wine with the meal. This was one of the most enjoyable dinners we have had in quite some time. Both of us dine out regularly in some of the finest restaurants in the metropolitan area, and we can both say that Sociale ranks right up there with some of the very best. What a wonderful dining experience . . . we both can't wait to return. Kudos to the chef and the wonderful staff.

• Visited February 2014

Vancouver, Canada
“A little gem in Brooklyn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

A little neighbourhood gem we stumbled upon after walking along the promenade to take pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge. Small place, small and focused menu. Excellent service and food presentation. A simple request to the chef for risotto with seafood resulted in a tailor made meal that was tasty, fresh and interesting. Desserts to die for - and unique. Too bad I live on the other side of the continent, otherwise I would go back.

• Visited December 2013
Miami, Florida
“Excellent, authentic Italian food in Brooklyn Heights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Very good food and service. We had the branzino with pancetta, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts and it was wonderful. We also tried the homemade pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe (also delicious). Good wines and very nice Italian-speaking staff. The music was also excellent. Portions are on the small side. Would come back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milan, Italy
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just amazing, What else can I say?. Friendly and passionate crew, great knowledge about what they are going to serve (both food and wine) and correct prices. I liked also a lot the atmosphere. These Italian guys are doing a really good job.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lucky Brooklyn Heights Residents”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We came across this restaurant after walking over Brooklyn Bridge on Columbus day. Whilst perusing the menu we spoke to two young Irish girls who lived in Brooklyn Heights, they highly recommended it. It was full at the height of lunchtime and we returned an hour or two later.
With a local clientele the atmosphere was very pleasant, the service was very good and friendly.
The food was, what you might hope for in an Italian Restaurant in New York City, but don't always get. An excellent local for the lucky people (in many ways) of Brooklyn Heights. I assume by the crowd at lunchtime, that booking ahead is a sensible precaution. This place will not disappoint, no pretensions, only good food and service - enjoy. Well worth negotiating the crowds crossing the bridge on a sunny fall day for.

• Visited October 2013