“Worth it For the Spumoni Alone” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 4,604 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Roslyn, New York
“Worth it For the Spumoni Alone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Heard about this place for many years and finally visited this past weekend. Went for pizza, but we were so hungry we sat inside and had dinner. The restaurant was totally packed and the service was very slow. But we came for the food and not the service. I had eggplant parmigiana whic I use to personally rate Italian restaurants. It came with a tiny potato croquette and some broccoli rabb, nothing to write home about. The eggplant was good, probably an 8. However, the spumoni ice cream put a great end to the meal. So good, we brough some home. The place was good enough to make me want to return. However, for excellent Italian food in NYC, nothing beats Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, where the eggplant parmigiana is close to a 10. Sorry I didn't try their much acclaimed pizza, but no room for it. The ambiance and the spumoni means that I shall return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Great square pizza near Coney Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Less well known than its neighbors Di Fara's and Grimaldi's, and less hip than Paulie Gee's, Spumoni Gardens, an outdoor Brooklyn experience, is for me, factoring in everything, the best of the lot. There's a line, there's always a line, but it moves swiftly just as long as you stick with the basic plain square...nothing fancy here. You can get a huge salad in the "to go" area of the indoor dining room...a place where you can get spumoni if you leave room for dessert.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great square pizza but people could be nicer and tables could be cleaner.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This place has great square pizza. The service is ok at best. They could be more friendly, smile and say thank you. Maybe it's a Brooklyn thing. The outside tables need a good steam cleaning. But just on the pizza, a must try.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was recommended to come here to try their pizza and I must say, I'm not impressed. I saw a long line and I thought this must be good, but I was wrong. The pizza is just average. I had better pizza with better sauce. I don't know what the big deal is and not to mention, poor service, flat out rude! It must be a New York thing.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bronx, New York
“Great sicilian pizza BUT DON'T ADD MUSHROOMS, (they're canned)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Once or twice a year we venture out to the crowded, hectic Spumoni Gardens, a gem near Brooklyn's shore since 1939, to feast on enough sicilian pizza to eat there and plenty left to take home for a second meal next time we want pizza. The pizza is great, but this time we forgot to ask for added garlic and asked for added mushrooms. We were shocked, the mushrooms were right out of the can (confirmed by the food-knowing guy at the next table), an insult from such a wonderful restaurant, so we yanked them off (they weren't even cooked, just added raw to the finished pie!). In the past, we've tried the shrimp parm., not bad, other main courses with big great platters, and always very good. And of course, don't miss the spumoni at the end. You'll see the big dessert platters on other tables but all you need is one spumoni for two people...it's verly good and plenty for two.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere