“TINY side dish portions+ HIGH Prices+ Average Food=Unhappy Customers!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Locanda Vini & Olii

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Locanda Vini & Olii is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #676 of 4,515 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cambridge Place
Transit: Clinton/Washington stop on the C or G trains.
Description: Serving traditional Tuscan cuisine in a renovated 19th century pharmacy since 2001. Homemade pasta, grass-fed Piedmontese beef, and some of Italy's best wines.
New York City, New York
“TINY side dish portions+ HIGH Prices+ Average Food=Unhappy Customers!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I spent 3+ years living in Italy, speak Italian, traveled ALL over trying food(in my former lives, I managed 2 Italian restaurants in Manhattan)
I lived with a Italian chef, spent much time in Tuscany, Rome, Puglia, Calabria, Piedmonte and some time in the north as well.
The biggest clue here is simple:NO ITALIANS seen eating here who are NOT owners, staff or friends of them.
I also read on their menu that the dishes are "SMALL" which I like, but how small?
The vibe and interior is, cute, sweet and cosy.
The service was very sharp, almost technical actually, & calculating.
I had a appetizer of CROSTINI PLATE$ 12.00-THATS $3.00 A TINY tasteless PIECE!
4 tiny average skinny slices of 1inch squared toasts, with some unripe tomatoes chopped on top, average taste and VERY basic and VERY expensive. The tomatoes themselves tasted like the unripe cheap ones you find everywhere commercially grown with no flavor, pale color.
The 2 pastas were the EGGPLANT MALTAGLIATI, which was OK, very average again as it was a couple long flat noodles, about 6 bites in all, with some chopped baby cherry tomatoes and 1 spoonful of ricotta cheese and that's literally IT! At $16.50 I felt screwed, scammed and hungry.
The second pasta, BLACK PEPPER PICI-consisting of only cheese, and grilled onions was actually quite tasty but still a small portion, about a cup full at $14.50, leaving my husband starving and us both feeling ripped off.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

York
“Great atmosphere and food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Very welcoming restaurant. Had the tasting menu. Some delicious food served on ''sharing ''plates.Portions quite small and pates microplaned .Bread poor.Good cheeses and wines.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Food can be excellent, but have had a couple of unpleasant service experiences which are souring me on the place. I...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Food can be excellent, but have had a couple of unpleasant service experiences which are souring me on the place. I mean a splinter from the table mid meal is a bummer. Ih I got a band-aid, tweezers and flashlight. Oh and full fare for a meal i could not enjoy as my hand was bleeding. This is the second time I have encountered indifference and I went there when it first opened. Of course it is packed (small place) so maybe the newbie crowd thinks it's all cool. I may never return.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“coolest atmosphere. in an old 1960s pharmacy. Incredibly delicious tuscan food. Tied with Al Di La as my favorite...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

coolest atmosphere. in an old 1960s pharmacy. Incredibly delicious tuscan food. Tied with Al Di La as my favorite Italian restaurant in NY.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“everyone goes on and on...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

everyone goes on and on about this place, but I've been there 3 times and I didn't love it. Proprietor too pushy, and the food was overpriced and not that great.