“BBQ ... $$$” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
New Jersey
“BBQ ... $$$”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had high expectations after seeing a local TV news story about real BBQ in Brooklyn. Everything looked wonderful so since I was in town ths week I thought I would give it a try. The BBQ joint is located in a semi-warehouse area. The smell of smoke was a nice aroma walking in. The staff was very friendly and eagerly answered my questions. There is a large dark red smoking unit clearly visible behind the counter which looked old but I was told is new but retro style. I believe they refer to "her" as Irene or something like that. Would love to have one of those at my house!

I was tight for time so I got my order to go ... 1/2 rack St. Louis ribs, 1/2 chicken, coriander pork and sices of cole slaw and macaroni and cheese. I left a 15% tip so the total bill was $50 which seemed high. The 1/2 chicken was $16 which to me is very expensive.

So how did everthing taste? Ribs - Meaty but not tender or smoky enough. Chicken - Dry but tasty. Pork - Tasty but not a lot placed on the sandwich. Cole slaw - Bland at best. Mac / Cheese - Decent when a little black pepper was added. I did notice that the containers they use have a raised bottom so you get less content than the visual size of the container. So for $4 per container you are getting hosed. They did have some interesting sauces to spice up your "Que" if you like it hotter. I was bummed out that they did not have any brisket left but that is the price you pay for getting there at 8:00 pm. There were a few "burnt ends" left which they gave me for free as I waited for my order ... they were very good.

Overall it was not a bad experience however personally I have had much better BBQ for a lower price point. Suggest that you give it a shot because I believe they have potential and just need to work a little more on the value proposition and real BBQ taste.

• Visited March 2013