“"Must Do" for active senior citizens!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 61 activities in Brooklyn
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Get Up & Ride organizes fun and engaging bicycle tours through Brooklyn's most charming and unique waterfront neighborhoods. The tours start at McCarren Park on the corner of North 12th and Bedford Ave and make their way through Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO. Making frequent stops along the way our tours showcase local art, beautiful parks, interesting history and great food. We make stops at places like the Brooklyn Navy Yard, The Dekalb Market and the Promenade and conclude with a ferry ride on the East River back to Williamsburg. Our tours include a bike rental and unlike traditional bike tour/rental companies, Get Up & Ride's bicycles were chosen with comfort in mind. The Dutch-style urban bicycles are beautifully designed, lightweight and reliable. Join us on our next great tour and see why Brooklyn is quickly becoming NYC's most popular borough!!neighborhoods.
Maryland
“"Must Do" for active senior citizens!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

For active senior citizens (I am 68, my friend is 75) with a spirit of adventure this tour should definitely be on your bucket list! This is a great way to get to know Brooklyn and get some exercise. The bikes are comfortable and easy to use and the route is not rigorous. Felipe's enthusiasm for this area is contagious and his commentary is both informative and fun. He provides both a cultural and historic perspective while shepherding the group to a number of places with magnificent views of the city. If your schedule permits, I would highly recommend taking the tour that includes the rooftop farming in the Navy Yard. An added treat is Felipe's tips on where to eat and drink! We had some of the best pizza I have ever tasted and made note of several restaurants I would like to try. This tour has certainly made me want to return to Brooklyn to continue my exploration!

• Turkish first
Ghent, Belgium
“Great way to visit Brooklyn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

If you would like to visit Brooklyn in a fun, sportive and alternative way you must do this tour with Felipe!

The bikes are super comfortable and they are very interesting to get to know Brooklyn. With Felipe as tour guide you have the best person possible. He knows so much about the history of Brooklyn and all the cool facts you won't ever find in tour guides.

While driving through areas such as Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Brooklyn heights,... you stop at several places. We visited a rooftop grange on which we had a view on Manhattan, ate pizza, drank coffee, took a ferry,...

We did the tour on our first day in NYC and it was a great way start of our vacation.
I would recommend the tour to everyone who visits NYC!

San Francisco, California, United States
“AWESOME ADVENTURE!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my second visit to New York and I have to say this was the best tour ever. Felipe was knowledgable, fun, outgoing and made my adventure of Brooklyn something I will remember forever. The views, food and bike ride was amazing. The pizza was the best I have ever tasted!!!! If you want to experience Brooklyn like a New Yorker and have the best adventure ever, then this is the tour for you. Thanks Felipe - Elisha (Australia / San Francisco)

London, United Kingdom
“Great way to see another side of New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I did Felipe's tour this week and really enjoyed it. He's an enthusiastic guy who deserves to do well. I know Manhattan well but not Brooklyn so it was a great way to get to know the latter while getting superb views of the skyline of the former! It's easy cycling (I'm not that fit at all) with plenty of stops for photos (and also for pizza and coffee) and I never felt bothered by the traffic, which I thought might be a problem. All in all I would definitely recommend to friends who want to see a different side of New York.

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Just Do It -- Get Up and Ride Brooklyn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is NOT your typical bike tour -- Felipe Lavalle, who started these tours in June 2012 knows Brooklyn like a local Brooklynite -- plus he knows the borough's history, where the best pizza is, how to get a beer & a shot for five bucks, and he can name just about every building (and its history) in the borough. The tours are VERY limited in size so it's never a big group, plus he gives everyone a waklie-talkie and earpiece so you don't have to stop every few minutes to see something; but you'll hear him AND you can ask questions from your bike. INSIDER TIP: be sure to go on a Thursday when the incredible 12-story-high Brooklyn Grange Farm in the Brooklyn Navy Yards is open, because Felipe can get you in for a tour (AND you can buy veggies, honey and hot sauce). The three plus hours FLIES by!