“Needs attention to detail.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Akwaaba Mansion Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklyn
Akwaaba Mansion Bed & Breakfast
You added Akwaaba Mansion Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
347 MacDonough Street, Brooklyn, NY 11233   |
Ranked #8 of 59 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Benicia, California
“Needs attention to detail.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First of all I would like to say that this place in a very good location and you can walk all to many of the museums in DC. Lots of restaurants and cafes near by. Monique the innkeeper is very nice but personally I would not return. We reserved a room a couple of months in advance and maybe that particular room was the worst of all. I did not see the other rooms in the house but judging by the comments of previous guests ours was not like the other rooms. Price was high compared to other B&Bs where we have stayed. They require 2 minimum night stay and a non-refundable deposit so, you better make sure you really want to stay here. Our room was called the T. Morris and it was small and it needs a lot of TLC. There were missing tiles at the base of the fireplace, the dresser looked like something that was bought at the second hand store and it had a broken shelf, there were some tiles missing at the base of the enclosure, bed was uncomfortable, carpet dirty, holes on the wall, etc. In all it was the lack of attention to detail. The breakfast was decent and different every day but the first day my store bought quiche was over baked. We did get fresh fruit and juice every morning and waffles two days. Again these are only my personal observations based on comparisons with other overly B&Bs that we have stayed at.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Queens, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

Who knew you could get away without having to leave the state, from the moment we arrive, I wasimpressed with the small touches- soft sounds of jazz playing in the background, walking into the heated glassed in porch a nice surprise coming in from the cold weather. Monique welcome us very warmly (So down to earth with no airs about herself) she took the time to give us some history about inn and surrounding areas. The Ashante Suite was beautifully decorated with afrocentric artifacts. We got to meet our lovely hostess Erika who prepared lovely and satisfying refreshments of meatballs, olives, nuts, fruit and mint iced tea. I can't remember a time when I slept so soundly. Breakfast was absolutely wonderful, french toast, turkey bacon, poached pears, scrambled eggs coffee and cranorange juice. Had the most delightful conversation with couples who were staying there as well, a pleasant way to start the day for sure, I will be back, but for a longer visit. Monique, Erika and Glenn, thank you so much for treating us well, we will be back for sure, and am looking forward to visiting your honesdale location for a sister's getaway.

Room Tip: Let Monique or Erika choose, they won't steer you wrong.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Medford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2015

We chose Akwaaba because we wanted to stay in a setting we wouldn't mind getting stuck in if winter struck hard. And we made the perfect choice. While the weather was great for January, and we easily accessed Manhattan and Brooklyn attractions, if we got snowed in, Akwaaba and the immediate neighborhood would have also been perfect. Excellent breakfast (not too heavy), pleasantly served, enjoyable guests and a luxurious room--what more could we ask for? Until we return, we will continue to enjoy the happy memories.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2014

I live just blocks away and have passed the inn many times but never stayed. I needed a place of peace and decided to stay there. It was just amazing. The service was friendly, warm and inviting. My room was amazing. The decor warm and welcoming. I immediately felt peace. It offered immediate relaxation. It was quiet and soothing. It was more than a Bed and Breakfast. I was able to commune with God there. It was awesome

Room Tip: Let the staff choose for you.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Yonkers, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

My wife and I were referred by a friend about the Akwaaba mansion in Brooklyn and we decided to give it a try in celebrating our marriage. I must say the service was very good, friendly, and warm. The food served at breakfast was simply great! We also liked the fact that we could come and go as we pleased with no interruptions, while at the same time the staff was close by to tend to our questions/needs. Felt like being at home away from home, cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: the jump the broom suite was a great room to stay in!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Bedford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2014

This inn is a special place. The grace and beauty of the house, its scale, its location on a beautiful street with brownstones galore, the lovely decor, the comfortable bed and lush towels, and the incredible and warm service make it a place that I plan to go to again and again. Melissa's breakfasts were fantastic. The glass sun porch, even in November, was a wonderful little spot to have coffee and see the neighbors go by. I highly recommend Akwaaba. The only tiny note I would make to the innkeeper is that our room was pretty warm, we could not adjust the heat, and we had to keep the window open. But everything was so lovely, that it was a small acommodation.

Room Tip: The Black Memorabilia Room was charming and attractive.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2014

Yes its clean beautiful & run by professionals but its more than that. Akwaaba offers a gateway into a mythical paradise that cannot be explained can only be experienced. I love this home so much that i kept extending my stay absorbing its mysteries creating new stories and art in the process. Akwaaba is more than a bed and breakfast stay it offers rememories that lift the spirits and calms the soul.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Been to Akwaaba Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!