“excellent, inventive cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Vara is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #140 of 4,515 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
New York City, New York
“excellent, inventive cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

very pleasant atmosphere, friendly and helpful service.
small and medium-sized plates with outstanding flavor. limited liquor (gin, vodka, rum), excellent wine selection.
liked this so much, we went to their sister restaurant in manhattan (Txikito) the next day! Also very good experience there.
$128 for 2 people, with drinks and good tip.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Louisiana
“YUM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Everything we ate was delicious! We especially loved the fried and eggplant and the artichoke. We had some kind of sausage bread that was a special and it was delicious too. Worth the trip out to Brooklyn.

Visited July 2014
Miramar, Florida
“Great Restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I went to La Vara because my daughter lives in Brooklyn we wanted a good restaurant close to her home, she suggested La Vara and we were extremely satisfied with the food and the service.. The food is presented nicely and a great wine list. Enjoyed it very much.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Spanish-Mediterranean Tapas. Good Service. Cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Went to LaVara with my husband and another couple on a Thursday evening. We had no reservations but the wait was not long. We were thoroughly attended by the bartender while waiting. There is an interesting list of cocktails ($10+) (whiskey and vodka blends) and a nice selection of good wines ($9--$12/glass) and Jerez ($7-$12/glass). The restaurant is very small and quite loud but due to its size, the loudness is bearable. Although it is classified as a Spanish tapas place, we did not immediately identify it as such. Its Mediterranean inspired style, was evident both in décor, with Arabic-patterned walls; and in the menu, with the abundance of spices in every dish. The space lacked the traditional Spanish feel and kept a modern look. The service was welcoming and fast. The staff is cool and even hipster-ish. We ordered a bunch of plates to share. Plates are small-to medium size, as it is a tapas place, so you will probably not get away with ordering 2-3 appetizers and 2 main dishes for a group of 4. We ordered a: Stuffed rabbit loin ($18), which was not my favorite as it felt a bit too fatty for my taste and the prunes did not satisfy my taste buds, but my meat-loving friend appreciated this dish; The Crispy Eggplant ($8) was a delight; full of flavor and perfectly crisp; Citrus Cod ($14) melted in my mouth and pistachios and pomegranate was a nice touch. Some special plate of bread crumbs with cheese (sorry, did not stick to my memory) and also tried the daily croquettes. Now the “paella.” The Fideua ($16), a thin-noodle paella stuffed with small shrimp, clams, and squid was an interesting dish and we enjoyed it. Let me tell you that it is not a traditional paella, so if you feel like eating the real thing, LaVara is not the place for that. When it arrived at the table I was hesitant to try it. It included unusually thin, broken and well cooked, noodles and tiny pieces of seafood. It was also covered in creamy sauce. But to our surprise, it was one of the better dishes and had an interesting spin on conventional seafood paella. We also tried dessert and were not disappointed. Forgive me for not remembering the dessert names exactly but I am sure we had ice cream - I think it was a caramel/salty flavored ice-cream, which was delicious and also a fruit-type tart layered with thin cream. Overall, I recommend this place for a good mixture of tapas, dinks and wines but would not recommend it for authentic Spanish tapas.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
coconut grove
“Outstanding, original, delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

The food and the service like all of the places by these chefs was outstanding. We had all vegetable and fish dishes and they were original and exquisite. The artichokes are a must, the vegetable layers, the chickpeas and the fish were all excellent. 4 of us ate about 10 small plates (A LOT) and found the bill to be extremely reasonable. I highly recommend this place for dinner if you can get in. It is a bit loud but that can't be helped given the enthusiastic eating going on.

• Visited February 2014