“Pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
San Antonio, Texas
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I took a chance and booked The Box House to hopefully experience a different side of New York. We are glad we did. Great place with a great staff who was always more than willing to help. Cristian and Singh (shuttle drivers) were amazing. We will miss those guys. The taxis were not used but the X5 BMW used to shuttle us around was nothing to complain about.

Rooms: We love the chilly air conditioner, the bed was extremely comfortable, the room was nicely decorated. The decor gave us some ideas for our own home. Although we read something that noted that there is no daily house keeping, we were surprised with the fact that our rooms were attended to daily.

Green Point: A very lively place with plenty of bars, cafes, delis and a couple of nice bakeries. I loved the Mocha at the Eagle Trading Company and Muffins at Ovenly. In my opinion, there were not enough restaurants to choose from. Everybody was extremely friendly with the exception of a few rude people a block away at a Heavy Metal Bar. Lots of patrons dressed in black heavy metal shirts smoking away. Walk to the Greenpoint Station was a quick 8 blocks away.

Advice: Take the G towards Church Ave. and the L Train to get to Union Sq. or all the way to 8th Ave. to be near Hell's Kitchen. You can also walk across Pulaski Bridge and take the 7 train for a quick trip directly to Times Sq.

I hope you enjoy your stay at the Box House like we did.

Room Tip: All hotel is very comfortable and quiet. Perfect after a long day of walking around NYC. We stayed...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here with hubby and friend. The staff were amazing, especially the guys who worked 3-11 PM. The shuttle service was fantastic and we only had to wait twice for it as it if first come first served. The cleanliness was impeccable and the location was so chic but be aware, for less seasoned travelers, this is not the heart of Brooklyn so expect to your travel times to reflect that and expect the surroundings to be perhaps more urban than some are accustomed to. I loved the entire stay. Our room was large and comfortable and thankfully quiet. This is going to be my go to hotel whenever I am fortunate enough to get back to NYC.

The bonus to staying a little farther out from Manhattan was the tranquility compared to the pace of the island. And with more cafes and restos opening up in the neighbourhood, then this was the perfect place to unwind after a long day.

Lastly, if you can book the hotel on a deal then it is all the more worth it. We paid 1/3 less and felt that it was worth it as sometimes you may get a 'deal' only to find the place horrifying.

Room Tip: The corner rooms were quiet but understand that it is a chic industrial area and cars and trucks do...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is certainly the place to stay if you're visiting New York.

My husband and I both like the quiter life so staying in Manhatten really didn't apeal. This hotel was perfect, just a 10 minute walk to the subway station and you're one stop from Grand Central...It couldn't be more convenient. The hotel also offers a taxi service to and from the subway station, if you didnt want to walk.

When we arrived the staff were very friendly, someone met us at the door to carry our luggage and show us to our room.

The reception area is a large open space, decorated with qwerky niknaks and pristine.

When we opened the door to our room, we were amazed at the standard. We had a ground floor, 1 bed duplex appartment and it was stunning. It was equiped with a TV in the living area and bedroom area with pleanty of channels to choose from, air conditioning, a good kitchen with all the equipment required, WiFi access and a cosy double bed pillows (always a winner for me).

The hotel also has a gym, which if you haven't already walked enough in New York, is equiped with treadmills, cycling machines and weights.

This hotel really is a hidden treasure and you will not be dissapointed with what you find. We highly reccommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked our stay at the Box House, last minute. I didn't have time to really read all the reviews, one suite left and 2 minutes to book, I pushed the button and hoped for the best. We arrived late and it was dark when we made our way to the hotel. Traveling through an industrial district, my kids eyes grew larger and larger. Where in the world had I booked our room?! I assured them that the hotel was going to be great (I wasn't even convinced). But, we turned the corner, and there sat these cool box cabs. Once we opened the doors to the Box House, we were sold. The lobby is bright and inviting, along with a very friendly staff. Our room was extremely clean and very comfortable. The bonus is the kitchen area with everything you would need, including an oversized microwave for reheating any leftovers from the great restaurants in NY. All in all a very good stay. Close enough to attractions, but far enough away that we enjoyed the quiet in the evenings. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I must admit that I am biased. A member of my car club suggested that I contact Joe, the owner of the Box House Hotel, since he is also a club member and owns several Checker taxis. These are a select few of these vehicles that are still in daily use. The reason for my contact was to see if we could use this hotel for our 2014 convention. As soon as I walked through the front door I knew I was in a special place. A true oasis in a neighborhood that is both residential and industrial. So, the decision was immediately made to use the Box House Hotel as our base of operations. Although we came 100+ strong, the hotel staff handled us with ease and smiled throughout our 4 day visit. The beds are great and the rooms beautifully furnished. Although my wife and I live just across the river in Manhattan, we are tempted to go back to the Box House just to enjoy the place.

Room Tip: Just tell the staff what you would prefer and they will select the right room. All the rooms are gre...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Cozy and cool!!! Love hitting this place with my boys on a rainy afternoon!
It´s close enough to the city in the center of downtown brooklyn!
The box it`s on of brooklyns best hidden treasures!
You wont regret stayin here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Beamsville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I guess this place isn't really a "hidden" gem being the #2 rated hotel in Brooklyn on TA but WOW were we blown away.

We booked into the box house based on the TA reviews being so positive; and they weren't wrong. Last time my gf and I were in NYC we stayed in Manhattan at a 2 star hotel but this trip we wanted to get out of the hustle and bustle and stay somewhere a bit nicer.

Upon arrival the staff are very very friendly and accommodating helping with bags etc. Our room was one of the internal ones and was amazing. I'm astonished and how quiet the place was, I literally could not hear a thing from other rooms or the hall ways (something you don't get in pretty much any hotel). The kitchen had everything you needed. Albeit we didn't use it (too many amazing restaurants in NYC to stay in) it's nice to have there if you want it.

As everyone below has mentioned; the free shuttle service is great. The driver we had most of the time was a top bloke too.

Only con was the wifi. Was slooooow and being from Canada we couldn't rely on cell phones.

Check out the Columbian restaurant up the road for tasty sangria!

• Stayed May 2014

Been to The Box House Hotel? Share your experiences!