“Great Hotel - Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Box House Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   77 Box Street, Brooklyn, NY 11222   |
Ranked #2 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
Chelsea, Michigan
“Great Hotel - Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

My first time in Brooklyn. I highly recommend the Box Hotel. The staff is outstanding! Especially Felix and Singh. The rooms are spacious and well decorated. I enjoyed the convenience of the mini kitchen complete with needed utensils. You are in the Greenpoint neighborhood which is up and coming and has two great Polish restaurants, Polish bakeries. ( I am of Polish descent) A walk to Williamsburg you will discover many interesting shops. If need be their house taxi may give you a ride, this is where you will find the great service of Felix and Singh. I was there four nights, felt like home. They also have a workout gym to add more exercise to your walking adventures. Manhattan is just a walk across the water either by taxi or subway. One cannot help but enjoy your stay here.

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Ok, first the good: It is located in Brooklyn in a good neighborhood and it quiet. It is away from the big city (Manhattan) noise and hustle bustle and still close enough (3 subway stops to Times square and 2 to Grand Central station) to easily access the City. The rooms are neat and clean and reasonably spacious. It has a fully equipped kitchen and 2 large LCD/Plasma TVs. The decor and the layout of the room was strikingly different and unique with old world charm. There was a shuttle service t and from the subway station (Vernon Jackson) which otherwise is a good 15 minutes walk from the hotel. There are few diners and grocery stores nearby but not much else. The reception area is neat spacious with 2 Apple computers with internet for all guest to use for free. The check in process was smooth. Also since we had arrived well before the schedules check-in time of 3 pm, the Hotel was kind enough to hold our bags for us till then.

However, there were some disappointments too: No intercom or phone in any room! Are you serious?! I needed some extra towels and bed sheets and I had to walk all the way from my room to the reception (long walk as I had requested an interior room to be away from the Pulaski Bridge noise)! When I asked them about this, they said that if I need to talk to them then I would have to make a phone call from my cell phone to the Hotel numbers. I don't think they have much staff here except for the 2 reception staff, and a shuttle driver who doubles up as the concierge as well as the bell boy!
The second morning that we were there, a room next to ours were making a whole lot of racket at around 5.30 am! I don't know if it was a check-out or if there was cleaning going on, but it woke all of us with continuous door slamming and loud voices for almost an hour, relentlessly!
When I complained about it later in the morning, the person at the reception told me that I should have complained about it when it was happening! Yeah like I was going to get up in my pajamas, walk all the way to the reception and complain. It would have beaten the very purpose would it not? The service for the room was just once while we were there and no breakfast was included in this price. I feel that that I payed way too much for what I got and I would have surely got a full service hotel in Manhattan for this price

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, then stay in an interior room but still close enough to the reception. als...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
BoxHouseHotel, Manager at The Box House Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Mehulmparikh,

Thank you so much for staying with us at The Box House Hotel and for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I’m glad you enjoyed the neighborhood—we, too, couldn’t be happier to call Greenpoint home. It’s also great to hear that you appreciated the size and décor of your suite. We do our utmost to ensure our guests are not only comfortable, but also inspired by the experience of staying with us. I know that for most of us, a holiday is a rare and precious occurrence, and we consider it an honor and privilege to provide our guests with their home away from home. For this reason, I’m very sorry to hear your stay with us was anything less than exceptional. In an effort to better accommodate you next time, we wanted to address the issues you mentioned.

In regard to the absence of telephone or intercom system in the rooms, we do apologize if you felt inconvenienced. With the prevalence of cell phones, most of our guests don’t seem to mind giving us a call that way, or else simply visiting us at the front desk. Many guests have even mentioned that they appreciate the privacy our system affords. You’re one of the first to voice the particular dissatisfaction, which we, of course, greatly appreciate, as it affords us the opportunity to improve! I’m only sorry you didn’t mention your issue while you were with us, as we would have been happy to find a solution. In any case, we hope this issue will not deter you from staying with us again.

I apologize for the noise on the second morning of your stay. If we had had any notion that you were being disturbed, I assure you we would have done everything in our power to redress it. We have a zero tolerance noise policy. If any guest makes a complaint about the noise of another guest, we issue a warning; if there is a second noise complaint, the offending party is asked to leave the premises without a refund. We simply have to be informed if someone is making too much noise—otherwise we have no way of knowing. I hope you understand.

As for the room service, it is our standard practice to provide full service every three nights. This is because each one of our accommodations is an apartment-style suite, equipped with a fully functional kitchen, hardwood floors, etc. These are not your standard hotel rooms, and as such it takes our hard-working housekeeping staff two or three hours to clean each room. Cleaning every suite every night is thus, unfortunately, unfeasible. That said, we would have been happy to provide your particular suite with full service more often had you requested it. Next time, please just let us know if there's anything you need, and we'll do all we can to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Finally, I apologize if the price for your suite seemed extravagant, but I can only assure you that our rates are highly competitive with other hotels in New York City, especially if you take into account the size of our suites, the quality of our furnishings, and the convenience of our location.

Once again, I’d like to thank you for having stayed with us, as well as for taking the time to give us the feedback. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Box House Hotel, and that, when we do, you’ll find your stay much more satisfying—and, perhaps even, inspiring.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I strongly recommend The Boxhouse Hotel in Brooklyn to ANYBODY thinking of visiting New York. Not only are the rooms / apartments very spacious and well designed but the staff are wonderful and attentive 24 hours a day. Add to that the fact that you're situated a 5 minute walk away from the subway at Vernon Boulevard (1 stop and you're in central Station! 2 and you're in Times Square!) and the banks of the Hudson River which offer the best views of the Manhattan skyline.

Getting in and out (just as important when it's hectic) of Manhattan is so easy staying in this area that you'll soon realise how ideal the Boxhouse location is. Brooklyn is also a fantastic area to relax after the hustle of the city. Boxhouse offer complimentary taxi rides in the surrounding area where you'll find great restaurants, bars, clubs, bike rentals, grocery stores etc... 10 out of 10

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 101 (massive 2bedroom apartment on the ground floor) and 301 & 302 on the roo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

It was our first stay in NYC and this was the perfect location for us. On the edge of Williamsburg and the next stop from time square the location was perfect. The quirky modern décor was beautiful, amount of detail that had gone into picking the art, furniture and accessories was stunning. Staying in an up and coming area meant there was something happening every night only round the corner.
The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The free car service was also a massive bonus.

When going back to NCY I would always stay at the box house, it felt more like a holiday home then a hotel.

Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is a great place to stay. I have only good to report. The space and attention to detail are faultless. All the staff are cheerful, obliging and willing to help. The shuttle service is fantastic and an asset. I would definitely return. The immediate area is not pretty but it has a certain magic, feels safe and is very friendly. Having stayed in Manhattan, I would return to the delights of The Box House Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Grayson, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I left a review last year about this place and I couldn't believe how wonderful the hotel was. Nothing but outstanding things to say.

Well....I went back again this year (holding my breath) because I wanted to experience the same wonderfulness again. Sadly, that didn't happen. Here's why.

1. The place is clean, but not uber clean like last time. The place is showing signs of wear and tear (in such a short period of ). For example, the kitchen counter in the suite we booked was stained. They used butcher block wood instead of a product that could be cleaned. The stains detracted from the kitchen.

2. The bathroom was showing signs of mold in the shower. Little bits here and there in the grout. I hate mold. It is spring and if mold is showing now, what will happen in the humid summer months?

3. The front desk folks were not as eager to help. They were friendly and professional, but not as awesome as the first time we visited.

4. The vintage cabs were not in service when we were there. They told us that they have a "shuttle" instead. The cabs were parked out front, but not in use. Bummer!!

5. The prices have gone up (no surprise there).

Don't get me wrong, the hotel is still nice and probably better than most in Brooklyn. With a little more attention to detail and resuming all the things they did when they first started, it can get back to its original glory. You can't live in the past and live off good reviews of the past - you must continue to provide consistently good service. This is what separates the good from the great. Hopefully the Box House will strive to be great.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
BoxHouseHotel, Manager at The Box House Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Bev N,

Thank you for your continued loyalty as a returning guest at The Box House Hotel. We take pride in our hotel and nothing is as gratifying as seeing a familiar face coming back through our doors for a return visit. I would like to thank you for your critique of your most recent stay with us. The feedback of our guests is an integral part of our success as we strive to provide the absolute best experience. Even though it is often very difficult to recreate the allure of the first time someone experiences something wonderful and special, this is indeed the challenge that we are now met with. We apologize if we could not recreate the magic of your first stay but I want to assure you that we have examined each one of your points in order to strive to be the best.

As far as the pricing is concerned, it is true that our prices fluctuate with the seasons but we did check your previous reservation from almost exactly one year earlier and you rate was exactly the same. As for the vintage cabs it is a shame you were not able to enjoy them on your last visit but I want to assure you they are still in service, and the only time we do not offer rides in them is when the weather does not permit, as they are vintage vehicles and safety of the guests is our top priority. This is why we now also offer a shuttle service in a brand new BMW X5 with all-wheel drive to handle the rain, sleet, or snow. While I am glad that you had an “awesome” experience with our Front Desk staff on your first visit, I am sorry on the 2nd trip the opportunity didn’t present itself for our team to go the extra mile. I can assure you all of our original staff are still here and hopefully on your next visit that awesomeness will shine as bright as your first visit.

On a final note, we examined the loft you stayed in on your last visit and did find a small 2" discoloring of the grout in the bathroom tile. I want to assure you that it was not mold and we made the necessary repair to the grout. The butcher block in the kitchen is beginning to darken from the ultraviolet radiation. However, this is not a stain but a natural weathering of an eco-friendly material.

Once again I would like to thank you for your patronage. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Box House Hotel in the future and at which time we can exceed all of your expectations and then some.

Duluth, Minn.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We recently spent three nights in the quirky, hip Box House, a place unlike any other hotel we've visited. Made of an old door factory in a semi-industrial neighborhood, the Box has strange architectural features, random books on end tables and a couple of spiffy old Checker taxicabs out in front. They're available for short trips around the trendy Greenpoint streets. The people who work here are very congenial, from the attentive doorman to the good humored desk clerks. We stayed in a room with an unusual pullout sofa that converted to a very comfy bed. The kitchen was well-equipped; shower stall was fitted with stationary tubes of soap and hair product. Our room had a nice patio whose view was partially obscured, but we could still see the tips of the Empire State and the Chrysler building. We enjoyed our stay and will likely return to the Box House.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Box House Hotel? Share your experiences!