“Raising the Bar For Boutique Hotels” 5 of 5 stars

The Box House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   77 Box Street, Brooklyn, NY 11222   |
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Fort Myers, Florida
“Raising the Bar For Boutique Hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Normally, when I travel whether for business or pleasure, I try to seek out “different” experiences. Also, when I travel alone, as a woman, comfort, safety, and a pampered environment are all criteria on my radar. I went to NY for a short business trip last week and was a little concerned because of the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy. Apparently, like many other businesses in the area, The Box House Hotel also suffered some damage during one of the worst storms that has ever hit NY. Boy, was I surprised!

The management and staff must have moved mountains because the hotel sparkled like a well-polished gem! I was told that a few rooms were still out of commission and the heat was still not on in the lobby. I am sure that they will very quickly be back to 100% Aside from that, the hotel was as beautiful as the pics on the web site. My room was in essence, like an apartment – definitely a home away from home. High ceilings, a mix of modern and antique furnishings with original art. The mattress was of a better quality than I have had in 5* hotels. It included a full kitchen. It was absolutely spotless. I made a point of seeking out the housekeeper to commend her. There is also a fully equipped gym with sauna and steam showers. They thought of everything!

The staff was first rate – friendly and helpful. They provided me with info about the area and a map/guide of local cafes and restaurants. Their unrelenting focus on service really creates an environment that is completely different from the world you step out of as a traveler. All within the context of an intimate boutique hotel. I commend the management for creating a new and satisfying travel experience. I will be staying here on all future trips to NY.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
outside St.Louis Mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My daughter read about the Box House Hotel on tripadvisor, it was everything and more than I expected! The taxi service with in a mile from hotel is free when you use their mint condition classic taxi's. Sweet. And the 10 min. walk to subway station was great way to start our day. One night we had pizza delivered from a local restaurant, it was so good that the next night we took the "free" taxi and ate there! Janica at the front desk took very good care of us.. Ours thoughts and prayers are with all in that area since the hurricane struck....Cat from St Louis, Mo.

Room Tip: street lights were bright so I was glad I brought eye shades...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently looking for a somewhat creative option to save some money on our trip to NY. Given the price of most decent hotels in Manhattan, and we started our trip staying in a very nice hotel in Midtown, The Box House is certainly a departure from that standard.

Yes, you have to take the subway to Manhattan; but the hotel has a nice amenity with this in mind - a free taxi service. The Box House offers a free taxi service for locations that are within a certain radius of the hotel. There are various subway stops that are fairly close by, so if you don't feel like walking or taking a bus there, you can have yourself chauffeured to and from the subway stop easily. Greenpoint is not a glamorous area but we took a short walk a night to a wonderful little neighborhood seafood restaurant (The Lobster Joint, highly recommended) and we never felt bothered. I have to think most people who are used to an urban environment would feel the same way.

The rooms are large, clean, and look more like an apartment than a hotel room. They aren't necessarily chic in their decoration but they aren't dowdy either. It's clean, minimal, and rather modern and I found it a great value for the money.

The Box House was the last place we stayed before leaving for the airport and its location was very convenient. The Box House offers you the ability to be chauffeured to the airport for a flat $40 fee and we found the drive quick and relaxing - especially in relation to the taxi ride we took from Midtown to The Box House, which was hectic and expensive.

Going into a stay here with the right expectations will yield a very good value for the money and I'd recommend it easily on those grounds.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at the Box House Hotel in Greenpoint for a week in October 2012. The boutique hotel is extremely comfortable and well decorated. The rooms are spacious and you have the amenities of your own apartment throughout your stay. The hotel employees were very helpful and always willing to assist with any needs. The gym was also a great luxury. The Greenpoint area has great bars and restaurants and the hotel is centrally located to get into Manhattan as well as a close walk to Williamsburg. We LOVED our stay, couldn't have asked for more and will definitely be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: The rooms all have very high ceilings and tremendous square footage - it's hard to choose. The d...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here on 13th to 17th Sept. The location of the hotel actually is not too bad because it is very close to a subway station, i.e. only 10 minutes walk across the bridge. There is a unique and stylish taxi taking hotel guests to almost anywhere within 1 km (hope I remember correctly). That was convenient e.g. buying some groceries in a nearby supermarket.

Staff was very helpful and friendly, too. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. So what were the problems?

1. the air conditioners in the bedroom and the living room were very noisy. It was so noisy that one could hardly go sleep when they were turned on.
2. there was some work carried out on the roof and that was right in front of the room where we were staying. We heard hammering in the morning and that lasted for hours. The hotel management did not inform us of the work. After checking with the reception, the building next door was going through some renovation and would eventually become part of the hotel. It was quite shocking to actually see someone carrying out heavy duty tools doing work right in front of your doors and windows with no warnings.
3. The toilet once flushed would not stop refiling. The water just kept on dripping until you did the magical touch on the knob to get it to stop. That was annoying especially at night.
4. False alarm went off on one morning. No one knew what happened. When we heard the alarm go off, the question was should we leave the building or should we not. A woman next door was also standing in the corridor scratching her head. Management should have taken reasonable actions to inform guests what was happening.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Box House is a wonderful place to stay. The room was beautiful and spacious, the staff always friendly and helpful. I noticed other reviews mention noise...we noticed this on one morning, as well. But this didn't really bother us. I have no complaints about the facility or the employees. They were all top notch. Greenpoint is a cool neighborhood with great places to eat, and it's a quick subway ride into Manhattan. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We found this hotel to be a great base for visiting the sights. It was welcoming at the end of day exploring the Big Apple. The rooms were large clean and very comfortable and the staff very helpful. We would definitely use this hotel again should we ever return to this city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Box House Hotel? Share your experiences!