“Great everything=Great Time” 5 of 5 stars

Description: New Zealand cuisine, chef owner Mark Simmons
Boston
“Great everything=Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My friends and I enjoyed a fantastic meal at Kiwiana last weekend. I have to say for a group of 6 people all ordering different drinks, appetizers, entrees, everyone loved it. Their lamb dishes and polenta were the consensus favorites of our groups along with the wine list. The service was outstanding and we all enjoyed the meal. I would recommend getting a reservation as the restaurant is on the smaller side!

Visited May 2012

Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing food, great atmosphere and friendly service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Visiting Brooklyn for the first time, a friend from Australia recommended we visit Kiwiana in Union Street, Brooklyn. I introduced myself to Mark the chef / owner who was friendly and engaging in typical Kiwi fashion. We were travelling with our 7 month old daughter and the staff went out of their way to accommodate us, providing a high chair and pointing out food on the menu that we could share with her. On our first visit we had beautifully seared scallops on a cauliflower and bacon ragu with a passionfruit sauce. For entree we both tried the hamburgers which were accompanied with chunky fries. We were so impressed with the food and the value that we returned again two nights later. Mark came out and said hello and suggested a couple of favorites from the menu. I had the Octopus salad and my husband the chicken. I highly recommend you visit Park Slope and make sure you call for a reservation at Kiwiana, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“In the true Kiwi fashion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Visited for brunch and was delighted to find all the New Zealand classics that are impossible to come by in the states. They make their own hokey pokey ice cream which is my favorite thing in the world and feature lamington squares which are another classic. The brunch was very fresh and tasty and gave you the feeling that you are sitting at a farmhouse kitchen table. The staff was very polite and attentive and i cant wait to go back for the marmite ribs.

Visited October 2011
Brooklyn, New York
“Pretty Restaurant with Okay Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I went here last week because it was Dine in Brooklyn week and this was a restaurant that people have been touting in Park Slope..I ate a weird tasting acorn squash soup and fried chicken. The chicken was moist but the coating was not crispy. It missed the mark for being cravable like the Fried Chicken at Walters or Buttermilk Channe.. Dessert was okay but not memorable. My husband was happier than me. He loved his beets with lavender ricotta and liked his ribs very much. I probably would not go back as there are too many better choices.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn
“Secret's out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Surprised this only has one review so far. We've been three times now and the secret is out--it's always crowded for good reason. Leave it to Park Slope to have a New Zealand restaurant. Just off the Seventh Ave. main drag on Union Blvd in a smallish, unpretentious niche. Great customer service. Lamb, mussels, and, of course, kiwis. Fried chicken is excellent. Agree with previous poster about the chai French toast and fry up for brunch. But go early or be prepared to wait.

• Visited February 2012