“Typical Indigo Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   229 Duffield St, Brooklyn, NY 11201 (Formerly Hotel 718)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
Albany, New York, USA
“Typical Indigo Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've stayed at a few Indigos over the years, and this one is on par with the rest- swanky, modern decor. Small, but efficient rooms. In town for a concert at Barclay's Center & this place was a decent price and less than a mile walk from the venue. Nearby subway and plenty else within walking distance. My only gripe is that there is no dedicated parking, but hey, its Brooklyn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
888JasonD, General Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The most comfortable bed I ever slept in.
Rooms small but a feeling of cleanliness and caring staff.
Great value. Good location in Brooklyn close to subway in either direction.
Would recommend it to anyone headed in that direction!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with fellow travelers. We will share your comments with our team.

Please feel free to contact me directly for your next trip to NYC.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

So glad we found this hotel. I am a native New Yawka who moved out of the Big Apple a year ago, but have stayed in MANY NYC hotels since. The Indigo is THE best one we have stayed in by far!

I was back on a business trip with my husband and 2 other colleagues. We got 3 rooms, and all were the same - small, but very new, chic, clean, and very well-equipped! The lobby is tiny but if you look up the ceiling goes on forever! There are cool trompe l'oeil murals on all the walls, and very modern furnishings in the rooms, including a large flat screen TV and a Keurig coffee maker. We even had a fridge and a full-size safe, an ironing board/iron, hairdryer and Aveda products in the bathroom. The floors were easy-to-clean engineered wood, as opposed to nasty wall-to-wall carpet, and the windows were dramatic floor-to-ceiling! Sure, the room was compact, but it was quiet, clean, had dramatic, high ceilings and the bed was super comfortable. How much time does one spend in a hotel room anyway?

We got the AAA rate, which made the rooms VERY affordable. The hotel is a couple block walk away from several major train stations (A/C/F/2/3/N/R/Q), so it is super convenient to get into downtown Manhattan (about 10 min.) The people at the front desk were efficient and friendly, and they even helped us store some items in the hotel freezer overnight. Lastly, this hotel had me at "Free wifi". For me, it's a deal-breaker if a hotel does not offer that amenity. The Indigo's wifi was free - and FAST!

The only downside was the parking (separate third party lot around the block for $35/nt), but that is typical for New York in general. I do not hold it against the hotel. The next time we come back, we will not be driving anyway. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! We all loved it! In fact, one of my colleagues who had insomnia finally got a decent night's sleep here! Now that is really saying something......

Room Tip: Get a corner room. They are slightly bigger and have 2 windows.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
888JasonD, General Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experiences.

Have a great day,

stigs17
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Arrived and waited 20 minutes with nobody in line while three flustered front desk staff spoke to each other (one on an i-phone) and shuffled around avoiding eye contact. Was completely ignored with credit card and ID in hand ready to check in with a large bag.

Finally I visited the counter and after a lengthy check-in, was told room was not ready ... for a Platinum member at 4:30pm on a Monday with a stated check-in at 3pm. Sunday is the slowest night by a mile in the hotel industry, thus the delay is inexcusable. Front desk called to get a status update from housekeeping, after half an hour sitting on the floor I gave up, had to hit a prepaid tour. Why would it take longer than half an hour for a room to be ready?

Had to leave a bag and found it interesting they do not offer a claim ticket here even after I requested one. They evidently assume guests are on the honor system.

After a long day, was really looking forward to chilling for 90 minutes in the room and washing/changing before two late-afternoon/evening tours with significant walking. Indigo denied me this opportunity to rest up and refresh.

Coming back exhausted late in the evening, it is a sketchy area with vacant streets. I was approached by two shady characters during the three-block walk from the subway. My advice: walk fast and with purpose!

On the plus side, in retrieving my bag, I was met by easily the most professional person at the hotel, a pleasant little woman in the late evening working the front desk. As a Platinum, I ended up with an upgraded room which was very nice with trendy modern decor - but hardly used. The Aveda toiletries are great. Also appreciated the personalized welcome letter and water in the fridge. Liked the bar being open until 1am. The vacant 19th floor rooftop patio has potential.

No explanation of the paid Indigo Pizza Package was given at the original check-in, though the soft-spoken evening check-in lady indicated you walk around to the bar and state your room number.

At the bar, I learned the only allowable toppings are pepperoni, bacon, onions and mushrooms, which I found rather strange. When I asked if they could deliver to the room (as I had done four tours and been up 18 hours), they casually stated "just come back down in 15 minutes or so" like it was no big deal. They did call when it was ready, but I would have preferred to tip a guy to deliver. The thin-crust Brooklyn-style pizza was good, though the pepperoni had an odd taste. If you do it, I'd recommend a plain cheese pizza.

With all the features, I found it odd there was no microwave and empty cabinets with no utensils or plates for the pizza. Like many Indigo properties, form supersedes function, as one light would not work and another had an awkward switch location. The clock in the bedroom was set to the wrong time. The large bathroom had an impressive shower with beautiful tiling. Too bad the pressure is among the weakest you will find anywhere. In the sink, think dental office strength, with a tiny mini-spray. It would take a couple minutes to fill a cup with water.

Early in the morning, it was readily apparent the windows are not properly soundproofed, as you can hear construction and street noise loud and clear even on upper floors with the windows sealed tight shut.

Coming back at 12:05pm to pick up my bag after a morning tour, the key card did not work. Was reminded at the check-in counter at 12:07pm that check-out was at 12pm. Perhaps I should have reminded them they were obliged to have had my paid room ready at the stated 3pm check-in time, or that Platinums are automatically given a 2pm check-out at any other IHG property (it is one of the stated benefits). Been in hundreds of hotels over the years and the rare time I am a few minutes past check-out, never encountered a hotel that cuts off key cards at 12:00pm sharp.

it should be noted NYC offers a $30 Metro card for unlimited subway travel for 7 days, which is terrific. The local subway gets you into downtown Manhattan in 15 minutes. Thus there is potential to save significantly on hotel costs by staying in Brooklyn or Queens.

Was going to stay multiple nights but ended up switching to another IHG hotel based on the issues encountered. The service is not up to IHG standards; most staff could use significant training in basic customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Platinum member,

I appreciate your time and feedback.

We make every effort to ensure all guest enjoy there stay, and reward loyal IHG customers such as yourself.

Please feel free to contact me directly regarding your recent stay.

montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here because we knew that staying in Manhattan would increase our budget.
The area of the hotel isn’t the greatest but there are 2 subway stations only a couple of minutes away which is a plus.(but don’t walk alone at night)
The hotel is a small boutique hotel so you are expecting it to be small. We asked for 2 double beds so our room was much bigger (I read reviews where people were complaining about the size). We were 4 people staying in that room for 2 nights & never had a problem. Even the bathroom was huge (amazing shower!). The décor was very nice; nothing tacky & beds were comfy!
The staff was friendly at check-in & out; always answered our questions.
If youre looking to stay in Brooklyn- definitely a place to stay. But if you’re staying here for budget reasons because Manhattan is too pricey, you’re better off staying in the city. I think we spent over 100$ in subway fares and a large amount of time in the subway (got lost many times too). I think next time I would just pay the extra 100-200 bucks to avoid all that travelling and be closer to everything.
Overall- amazing experience
I do have to mention one thing (really didn’t want to give a negative comment but had to be said): I accidently left an expensive bracelet in the hotel room & only realized a couple of hours after checking out that it was missing. Tried calling the hotel numerous times but without any help- they never found it. Everytime I would call- I would keep getting the same answer that someone went to check and would call back and they never did. I even got hung up on many times too… It took 4 days to finally speak to a manager (which was the only helpful person). Finally; it was never found- which I understand it was my fault in the first place; but if they would of helped me from the first moment I called- I’m sure it would have been found and returned.

Room Tip: ask for double beds to avoid a small room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
888JasonD, General Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear valued guest,

I understand your thoughts with regards to lost and found. I personally become engaged in this upon first receipt of your call.

Feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss further.

Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from August 3-5th as we had business at SUNY Downstate. I knew from reading reviews that the rooms were small, so I was not surprised. However, it is definitely not a fire hazard!! You can easily walk around the bed, and the ample closet had plenty of space for all of our clothes and carry on luggage. The ceiling was really high too, like 10-12 feet high, so it appeared spacious.

We had very good service at check-in. We had a very small problem with the shower, (too hot or too cold, no happy medium). When mentioned at the desk, it was actually fixed when we were gone! It wasn't even that big of a deal.

As far as theft goes, we kept our iPads, phone chargers and jewelry out in the room, easily accessible by any staff member, and we never had any problem.

We used the subway for transportation, arriving late back to the hotel each night. It was a little deserted around that area, but luckily there were other people walking from the subway to the hotel so it was fine. Probably wouldn't walk it alone at night.

I would stay there again anytime, and probably will soon.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to share your review with fellow travelers.

We look forward to serving you in the future.

Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My stay at this hotel started and ended on a bitter note.

Firstly, we drove to Brooklyn and it was EXTREMELY difficult to find the hotel. The road signals changed and one-way streets lead to confusion and frustration.

The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful upon check in.

Room was clean and spacious. We had 2 queen beds for myself and 3 family members.

Washroom: Spacious.

Brooklyn subway far from Manhattan and other tourist areas. Lots of money spent on travel. I'd rather pay a bit extra for a hotel room Downtown than keep traveling back and forth to Brooklyn. That area is also a little sketchy at night, so don't go out alone.

At checkout: the front desk did not give me my parking stub for valet so there was an inconvenience there. My sister also forgot her expensive bracelet in the room. We called the hotel a few hours after we had checked out and the front desk staff transferred us to the lost and found department. We left 2 messages and no one called us back. We had to call back again the following day and still no help or sympathy from the staff. It was very frustrating because it felt as if the cleaning staff had stolen the expensive bracelet instead of notifying us that we had left it there. It was also unacceptable that they never followed up. Had someone called us back the day we checked out, we would have hope of the staff giving us back the bracelet.

It's unfortunate that it had to end on such a sour note. I did enjoy our stay but I feel like I can't trust the staff and it has tarnished their reputation. It also shows poor customer service on their part since they never got back to us when time was of essence.

Room Tip: 2 queen beds
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
888JasonD, General Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear valued guest,

The Hotel Indigo Brooklyn takes great pride in service.

I am pleased to share that all members of our team go through an extensive background check as part of the hiring process. For the security of our guest, we also have in room safes.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this further.

Jason D'Agostino

Been to Hotel Indigo? Share your experiences!