“Not bad, but with a few problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo

You added Hotel Indigo to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   229 Duffield St, Brooklyn, NY 11201 (Formerly Hotel 718)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Columbus, Ohio
“Not bad, but with a few problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

In some respects, this is a nice hotel. It's new, has nice decoration, and a very good location in Brooklyn. The staff is friendly and helpful. Free w-fi is a plus. However, a few things bothered me during my stay. First, as other reviewers have said, the rooms can be tiny. I stayed in a queen-sized room, which was very small. Not much space to put your stuff. Also, sometimes I couldn't get hot water in the shower (this usually happened at night). My parents stayed in a king-sized room, which was considerably larger. But they had problems with the heat. It was cold and windy outside and they couldn't get a comfortable temperature inside the bedroom. We called the hotel technician, who said he solved the problem, but he didn't. In sum, the hotel looks nice and has good location, but a few technical issues (hot water, heat) made the stay a little annoying.

Room Tip: Queen-size rooms are tiny. Get a king-size one if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jeremie F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Brooklyn and your comments on your recent stay with us. I apologize for the lack of consistent hot water and heat during your stay. I can assure you that the issues have been addressed. Our hotel does offer larger rooms such as a King size room or a Two Queen bed room. Thank you for taking note on our décor and staff. They work very hard to exceed guest expectations. We would hope you would consider giving us another try, if ever you visit Brooklyn again.
Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Graz, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The first and the most strong impression from this hotel - tiny room. It is written in the description of the hotel, that the "king-size" room is 28 sq.meter size - the room we lived was definitely much smaller. I am surprised by the fact that some reviewers wrote that after upgrade they had received really big room. Taking into consideration that only crazy man could call big the room we lived in, I should suppose that the hotel staff fooled us and provide us with a cheap small room for the price of big one.
Also during our stay we we constantly had problems with hot water, hopefully short-term.
And we were not satisfied with the quality of room clearing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. I am truly sorry to hear that while we are in transition to becoming a Hotel Indigo property, you experienced a few hiccups. We have addressed our heat and hot water issues and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience it caused you. Our hotel also offers larger rooms such as Kings or two queen beds. I would like you to give us another chance to experience our complete transformation as Hotel Indigo Brooklyn.

Kindest Regards

Front Office Manager
clt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

½ the size of a cruise ship room….1st night, 24/7 construction across street. Beep, beep all night long, sounds bad. was bad…free rewards nights should be called “nightmare in Brooklyn”. I have been a platinum member of intercontinental for over 6 yrs, holiday inn since 1974, OLD/been traveling for more than 30yrs. Would not stay at this hotel ever again, free or last bed in town…This hotel is out of control….Alex the “supervisor” could not make up for their incompetence, if I owned this hotel. I would sell it. New place…. but totally not prepared, We were moved to a larger room only after waiting until 1:30 the next day…did beep beep go away noooo, screaming children at 2 am took over. Here’s what happened: smallest room ever, go to hell attitude, no hot water, Matt, and 4 others, took 45 min to print boarding passes, Matt challenged me to the tenth degree… like I did something wrong for staying at this hotel. Alex printed them off in 2 min. just a bad stop….Platinum free rooms. mean nothing…babs is in town. Their attitude “we do not need you”, worst, stinky neighborhood in Brooklyn. Good luck….Do not stay here…. if you are platinum member, you are not welcome.

Room Tip: not sure construction is loud 24/ 7
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jeremie F, General Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear gutscallahan,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the Hotel Indigo Brooklyn.
I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with
us.
We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience with us so
we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving
you again should your travels bring you back to Brooklyn.

Jeremie Foyoussa
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here last month from October 15 - 19th. Received a warm welcome by staff when we arrived. Had booked thru booking.com - Downtown Brooklyn Hotel - now Hotel Indigo - couldn't find the res - I had all the paperwork - no problem.

We did find the 1 bed queen size too small to move around in. In the morning Brian arranged another room for us on the same floor. This had 2 queen beds and lots of space to move about. I found both rooms - light/airy due to the high ceilings/large windows - which opened! - lots of light coming in - and white walls. Room was exceptionally clean. Beds were really comfortable. Large shower stall. Perfect.

Staff always acknowledged us when we left/came back. Enjoyed talking to them. Enjoyed the wine in the lobby.

We love being in Brooklyn (3rd visit) so the location was ideal for us. A short walk to Metro Tech Center (TKTS Discount Ticket Booth for Broadway shows) then down Montague Avenue - shops/cafes - to the Brooklyn Promenade and over toDUMBO and back. Lots of places to eat/drink. Short subway ride to the Brooklyn Museum etc. From the promenade you can see Manhattan which is a short subway ride away. Can also take the East River Ferry across.

Flatbush Avenue is around the corner - Barclays Centre for a basketball game - there is a large shopping mall close to it. Opera/Dance Centre close by.

I liked walking around the Hotel neighbourhood - it's undergoing a change. Fulton scene was lively. Lots of history around.

If we return to Brooklyn we'd stay at the Indigo again.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff - they get the feedback from guests.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear 400Rose 123,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review in tripadvisor.com. We really appreciate the time you took to comment on your stay with us. Sounds like you had a great time and really enjoyed our new hotel.

I'm going to share your comments with the staff. Thank you for your business and I hope that if your travels take you back to the Brooklyn area, you will indeed make our hotel your choice for lodging.

Los Altos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Indigo last week. The hotel seemed very new and clean. The reception staff was professional, polite, and personable. The check in process was quick and easy. The room was small and clean with a comfortable queen-size bed and nice shower. It might be nice to have some sort of ventilation in the bathroom so that it doesn't fog up all the mirrors.

Great location - convenient to the subway station.

No restaurant - at least not yet.

Dear Monkeyed,

I wanted to write to thank you for the great review. We appreicate the time you took to write and comment on your recent stay with us here at the Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. It sounds like you enjoyed our hotel. With that, we hope you enjoyed your visit to our city as well.

Just to let you know, we are a new hotel and the restaurant is scheduled to open before the end of the year. I hope you'll be able to come back and visit and try the new Brooklyn Brew House restaurant. We think it's going to be a winner!

Point Reyes Station, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Bottom line: NEW construction, comfortable bed, good AC/heat, great bathroom (shower only, no tub), spotlessly clean, big double-paned windows that made the room quieter yet open for fresh air--and a GREAT LOCATION short half block to the subway right to Times Square--literally less than a minute, even for slow-walkers! Everything you want in a hotel room--except space. The room was the smallest I've been in--including Tokyo! So small there's hardly room to walk around the queen sized bed--because the room itself is about the size of a king-sized bed.

What saves the room from feeling claustrophobic (it doesn't), is that there is a huge window--and the ceilings are very high, like 12'.

Now--I'd rather stay in a small but nice room than a big one that wasn't as nice, it's just important to know that this room is tight for one person and might be cramped with two (and I'm not sure how they photographed it so that it looks big :) You can't really get out of the bed on the window side. There's no real closet, just six hangers above half of an alcove space above the mini fridge and digital laptop safe (a nice feature).

Another problem, perhaps because the building is so new and they're still working out kinks, is hot water. When I got back after the theater around midnight, it took a full five minutes of running water for it to get warm, then it was only warm, not hot. Warm enough so it was comfortable, but it's not unreasonable to expect hot water. They need to adjust their hot water recirculating pumps.

The staff was always there and always nice--I arrived on a red-eye, and because they had a room they let me check in a 7am--that's a HUGE help when you've been flying all night and was greatly appreciated.

The lobby is tiny, but but does have a sofa and chairs if someone comes to meet you. There's a mezzanine level for guests that's bigger, has a fireplace and two computers and a printer so you can print boarding passes. A note to the hotel about the printing system for the computers--it's far too difficult. I'm a computer professional and I had to go to the desk to get help because it uses a popup that doesn't popup, then a keypad that's dark when not in use--it's impossible to figure out without guidance. If you really need something printed, the front desk will do it for you, but it shouldn't be so difficult.

One more complaint--there's no food at the hotel, and while this may change with a restaurant/bar that's opening, currently the hotel is selling snacks in the lobby. That's fine--but what's not fine is charging $3.25 for a $1 bag of M&Ms--even the yogurt parfait was $6 when it's only $3.50 at Starbucks. If you're charging more than Starbucks you're severely overcharging. Everything in the lobby is three times more expensive than the deli just down the street. That's not how you treat customers or a good place to try to make a few bucks. It's a little thing but it doesn't make guests feel welcome.

I got this room for around $200 a night through booking.com, which is a great deal for a new, comfortable hotel room so close to the subway and manhattan. The Aloft hotel across the street was $380. I'd happily have a smaller room at a lower price--but just know that small really means SMALL. I have a feeling this is the wave of the future, so might as well get used to it!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, and, if possible a corner room (two windows instead of one), and one on the w...
Dear Daniel Will,

Thank you so much for the really nice review of our new Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. We appreciate the time your took out of your schedule to comment on your recent stay.

I must say that our rooms are without a doubt cozy. We've tried to place everything within reach in all of our rooms. We also had a few kinks with the hot water and I apologize for this inconvenience you may have experienced. Opening a new hotel, you sometimes catch a few things that just aren't right, including the printer operation on the Mezzanine!

And just to let you know, our restaurant, the Brooklyn Brew House, is soon to open by the end of the year. I hope that if your travels take you back into the Brooklyn area again, you'll make our hotel your choice for lodging.

Dundee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here on a recent trip to Brooklyn. Stayed on points.
When I arrived I was greeted nicely and instantly upgraded to better room. Room was nice with a huge patio. Bed was comfy and the room was quiet when the windows were shut. Staff were standard USA friendly and perhaps a little more.
The location of this place is excellent. Duffield street in the heart of downtown Brooklyn and 5 mins walk to 4 different subway stations.
This hotel had a couple of bad points. one was no sign, not a huge problem but anybody ever taken a manhattan taxi to Beooklyn might know this is a problem. Also the air con could sometime sound like a 747 taking off, occasionally there was not hot water in the shower. but none of these really tarnished the stay. WOuld go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Grievesy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay with us here at the Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. We do appreciate the time it takes to write a review and always share our guests' comments with our staff to motivate them and educate them. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay albeit a few minor issues.

Please allow me to apologize for any AC and hot water problems you may have experienced. All have been corrected I am happy to say.

We hope that if your travels take you back to the Brooklyn area again you will indeed give our hotel another try. We love it when a former guest returns to see the progress we made.

Karl

Been to Hotel Indigo? Share your experiences!