“Average for an IHG hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   229 Duffield St, Brooklyn, NY 11201 (Formerly Hotel 718)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special New York Savings!
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Lanark, United Kingdom
“Average for an IHG hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

New modern hotel but they've cut corners with quality. Rooms are too small or should have smaller beds. Beds not made daily. With windows closed on 14th floor, it was noisy from the construction going on in the area. There is no restaurant although website refers to it. Problem with aircon in room which they could not fix. Should have waited until hotel was ready to accept guests.

Jeremie F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your stay at Hotel Indigo Brooklyn.

I regret to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and I apologize on behalf of the entire staff regarding the status of your room. I am surprised to hear that the room was in such condition as our staff strives to prepare our rooms immaculately and often get compliments on how clean our rooms are. I have passed on your comments to our Director of Housekeeping so that further training can take place to properly deliver total guest satisfaction. I do hope that you will give us a second chance the next time you are in New York City so that we can show you our true standard of service and accommodation.

Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Small! Hotel Management need to learn the definition of hospitality. The housekeeping supervisor informed me that she was the Hotel manager when I inquired. This statement turned out to be totally false. They found an empty pack of cigarettes in my room and charged me $250 additional dollars when i did not smoke in the room. I wouldn't even consider fishbowling in a closet. Roach motel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Mr. Respectfull,

It is unfortunate that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. In the short time that we have been open we have received very positive feedback from our guests, some of which you can read in our other Trip Advisor reviews. Some of the wonderful comments pertains to the staff and how friendly and helpful they are and how beautiful and clean our rooms are.

Front Office Manager
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Somewhat Good:
Hotel is new, nice & clean...they don't have any amenities...you'll have to walk for everything...subway station is very close...front desk staff was nice

Very Bad:
We stayed the first weekend of October for 3 nights...we had to change rooms twice due to the air conditioner not working in either of the first two rooms...the first two rooms were tiny which we expected since we booked a queen & had read previous reviews...we were upgraded to a king room the 3rd time which was nice...it was very spacious and even had a balcony with seating area outside...the 2nd morning we realized during all the room changes we had left a pair of sneakers in the 2nd room & immediately phoned the front desk...they said they would check & call us back...thirty minutes later, no call...we were on our way out so we stopped by the front desk & they hadn't checked yet...he then went up (not allowing us to go with him which we didn't understand) and returned saying there were no shoes in there!!!! No one had checked into the room yet so the only people with access to the room were employees...bottom line I walked around NYC all weekend in flip flops...I had just bought those shoes & most people would understandably be upset & not want to have to spend more money because of the dishonesty of someone else....no one tried to investigate or show any concern about their employees being thieves...if they check the cameras (which I know they have), they'll see me wearing in the shoes when we checked in & will not see me wearing them out of the hotel or carrying any bag out of the hotel big enough to put the shoes in until we checkout...I will never stay here again & will not be recommending this hotel to anyone I know...my advice, don't let anyone into your room, you may be missing something later...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeremie F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I am sincerely sorry that the first rooms did not meet your expectations due to the air condition issues that occurred during your visit. I can assure you that this issue has been resolved. However, we are glad that you liked the room with the private balcony. My general manager has address our staff on following up with our guest needs. Furthermore, I would like to speak with you personally to resolve this matter. We take our guest security very seriously and do not promote theft. I would truly appreciate the opportunity to make this right and look forward to speaking with you soon so I can win back your trust and have you as a valued guest.
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. First of all the entire front desk staff were the friendliest that I have every encountered. Keith made sure that any questions were answered, all my reservations were in order and kept going out of his way to insure all our needs were met. Brian, also at the front desk was also extremely helpful during our stay.the room, a queen,was small as advertised,however, the bathroom was modern, spotless and stayed that way as a result of the housekeeping staff.Common areas were clean and comfortable. The hotel is across the street from two other new hotels. We have stayed at all three and would return to the Indigo without hesitation. The area is close to any subway line that you need and the entire area is being completely reborn. We visit and stay on this street monthly, walk everywhere and never encountered any situations. I would highly recommend this hotel but remember the rooms are small and have limited storage space. Who really cares because I doubt that when in New York you really don't want to spend much time in your room anywhere. Thanks again Keith for making a great visit even better.

Room Tip: Back side away from the street. Rooms ending in 05
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeremie F, General Manager at Hotel Indigo, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear guest,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. It was nice to hear about Brian and Keith at the front desk. The entire staff work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Sincerely, Jeremie Foyoussa
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Negatives: This was by far the smallest, most cramped hotel room I have ever stayed in. I wasn't expecting this. There was no closet, no place to spread open my suitcase (except on the bed), and no drawers. I couldn't imagine staying in the room for more than one night or with another person.

Positives: The hotel was clean, up to date and in a nice neighborhood. There was free internet service and an excellent TV. Everything was clean and nice.

The AC didn't work when I got to the room, but it was fixed promptly and it worked fine.

I only stayed one night.

I just can't get over how small the room was.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

First...a little background. I work remotely for a company in Brooklyn, and travel to NYC 1-2x / month and have LITERALLY stayed everywhere in BK, and probably 50% of the hotels from midtown south. All that to say, I have a good idea of what the market is like, and have pretty reasonable expectations. Bottom line, if you need a cheap, clean place in BK...consider the indigo.

However, if you EVER need anything...you're on your own. They staff do try, but I consider it a MASSIVE failure of leadership, and am not optimistic that it will turn around. I'm happy to pay slightly more to minimize headaches and will NEVER return to the Indigo (and have advised my company to follow suit). Best thing that could have ever happened for the NU hotel is for indigo to lower the bar dramatically.

First, the good:

*The hotel is new, and sparkly clean as a result.
*Front desk staff are courteous and do what they can (which is very little in my experience).
*Beds are comfortable yet undersized as you'll find in many NYC hotels.
*Free wifi that is moderately fast.
*Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the "good" ends.
*Nice TVs, easy to use.
*good access to many trains.

The bad:

*The manager is TOTALLY absent. This is my BIGGEST beef with the indigo. I get that things go sideways sometimes, but hotels differentiate themselves by how mishaps are handled. On my first stay at Indigo...the fire alarms went off REPEATEDLY during the night for BOTH nights I was there. No matter these two nights were before a massive presentation I had...the manager said NOTHING about the incident. No apology or explanation, just lost sleep. Sooo I figured "maybe it was a one-time problem." NOPE. I rebooked 2 weeks later thinking I'd give them a second chance. Unfortunately, my assistant and I got our wires crossed and double booked me at two different hotels. Sadly, I HAD to keep the indigo reservation because my assistant (and I) called 15 minutes after the "cancellation policy" window (BTW, The NU hotel on smith street happily cancelled the duplicate reservation...because they've learned that our company books 15-30 nights/month at local hotels and clearly get that customer service matters). Between my assistant and I we left 4 different messages for the manager via phone, and I asked again in person after I arrived. NONE OF THESE MESSAGES WERE EVER RETURNED.

*Duffield is virtually impossible for cabbies to find...so if you go, take CLEAR directions with you. I used to stay at the Sheraton across the street...but stopped since it's more trouble than it's worth to get there, especially since there are better options.
*No tub. While I don't care...this is a deal breaker for many women.
*zero water pressure. I had to run around to get wet...and even then it was atrocious for a "new" hotel.
*no breakfast option (they send you over to the sheraton with a 10% off coupon)
*snacks in the lobby are hideously overpriced (and really? no breakfast and no FREE snacks).
*rooms are small...even for NYC. They're tiny tiny tiny. Bed, pseudo closet, not even a place for your things in the bathroom other than on the toilet.
*The neighborhood isn't even close to the best in brooklyn. While I'm o.k. with some local flair, I'm sure others would be less excited about having to walk down a dark street (Duffield) right after cruising Fulton St. mall. The best restaurants around are on Smith street...so you're wearing a path through there to get to eats.

In short, if you're looking in BK:

1. Nu (by a LOT)
2. Marriott
3. Sheraton/A-loft
4. Hotel Le Blue (even though it overlooks uhaul)
5. Indigo

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jaqfu,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your experience here at Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it should have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
The interaction with our manager with regards to your comments about the unwarranted alarm is certainly not to the level of service we want to deliver to our guests and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be sparkly clean, the bed comfortable and our location convenient. You may also be interested to learn that Brooklyn Brewhouse, our brand new bar/restaurant will open in just a few weeks.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back after the restaurant opens so that you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details when you travel again in Brooklyn so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that you give us another chance.

With warmest regards,

Jeremie Foyoussa
718-254-7815
jeremie.foyoussa@downtownbrooklynhotel.com
Lake Forest, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've always had a great experience with the Indigo chain but this particular facility really doesn't cut it, particularly for the price. Service is courteous but somewhat unprofessional. As others have mentioned before, the room we had with a so-called Queen bed was not only tiny but poorly configured. It was like they had to carve out space for the shower right in the middle of the room. As a result the living space became a weird L shape, leaving very little room to maneuver. Granted the hotel is fairly new and is still working the kinks out but I don't think we'll return even if it was fully operational.. The surrounding neighborhood was rather sketchy. They could have moved just two blocks away and ended up with a much better location.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms with a Queen bed ending with a number ending in 03. Rooms on that side of the b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Indigo Brooklyn. I am truly sorry to hear that while we are in transition to becoming a Hotel Indigo property, you experienced a few hiccups. Our hotel offers larger rooms such as Kings or two queen beds. We offer the amenities of a Hotel Indigo such as Complimentary Wi-Fi, Spa inspired showers, 24hr business and fitness center just to name a few. I would like you to give us another chance to experience our complete transformation because it will be inspired by our neighborhood and its history.

Been to Hotel Indigo? Share your experiences!