“Comfortable Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 60 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Comfortable Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Check in was slow. Hampered by a late check in (after 10pm) and a guest setting off the fire alarm by smoking.

Far from metro, but plenty of free parking.

Breakfast is less than other comfort inn. Just waffles, yogurt, fruit, cereal, and bagels.

Bed is comfortable and soft.

Although it was a corner room, voices from the hallway was audible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
London - England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed 4 days here and found it excellent for the price, clean with smart rooms and a very comfy bed. We chose it as our son lives only a few blocks away in Red Hook. Breakfast in a basement room was plentiful with eggs and sausages on request but maybe a bit 'cheap' for our taste, we stuck to cereal and toast.
Its a 15 min walk to Carroll St subway but the B61 is very regular on Van Brunt and takes you to central Brooklyn.
We printed off several maps on various scales from google and they were useful. Several good small local restaurants down Van Brunt or walk round the expressway north past the Brooklyn Motor Inn to Columbia St and a couple of blocks up finds several larger ones, with many more in the Carroll St area.

Our only problem was trying to find the hotel after taking a yellow cab from JFK. Yellow cabs often have no idea where they are going and its up to you to tell them, if they can understand English. Our driver took us a long way round and tried to get off the expressway miles before Red Hook, then ended up trying to take us through the Brooklyn Battery tunnel to Manhattan! After a lot of yelling and involving some nearby lawmen were we able to escape to the hotel that we could actually see nearby! Majestic Limos had a list in the hotel and came promptly and stuck to their prices, use them.
Yellow cabs are appalling and a disgrace to the city, for every one who knows where he is going I have had two who dont. Yet strangely New Yorkers seem to revel in their terrible service and actually defend them.
Best get hotel advise about which intersection to ask for.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bologna, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Very bad position!! It’s 15 minutes walking to the closer subway station (Carroll Street)!
There’s a free shuttle bus from 9 a.m. to 11.50 p.m. in theory and it takes less than 10 minutes. But:
-if you need to leave before 9 a.m. you have to go by walk
-in the evening I found the shuttle bus outside the station only one time in one week after 10.30 / 11.00 p.m.
When I tried to go from Carroll Station to hotel by taxi it had been a disaster; nobody knows how to go to this hotel! The unique taxi driver who agreed to bring me takes, 40 minutes to arrive! There’s one big highway to cross and if the taxi driver doesn’t know exactly the way to go, it’s a labyrinth of street without indications.

I asked to the desk of hotel to use the credit card of my Company (to do that they gave me their sheet to fill with all info) but when I came back to Italy I saw the charge on my personal credit card (I told them at least 5 times that it was valid only for the check-in). I called/wrote to them and no one “sorry”; the only question was “what’s the name of who did that?”

Moreover, it’s too much expensive (145 USD/night with taxes) in particular considering the very very bad position.
For few dollars more you can find better positioned hotel in Manhattan.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Picked this hotel for its proximity to the start of a race that I was participating in. The staff was by far the worst group of hotel workers I have ever dealt with. They were unfriendly, unattentive and cared more about socializing wth one another, and their visiting family members than their guests. The room was dirty, and the bathroom smelled of urine. The location is horrible (other than getting to the start of the race...). It is desolate, with nothing but warehouses and project housing in the vicinity. The car service that they suggest is a joke too. We called them at 10:30pm to get back to the hotel and were told that they didn't have anyone available. HORRIBLE.

Room Tip: We were put in a "cellar" room. The windows were the size of windows in a prison.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This close to Manhattan, the hotel was better than expected for the price. The rooms were not spacious but fit 2 double beds with room to walk around. Front desk wasn't enthusiastic but always did what we needed them to do. Parking was always available in the parking lot, and it looked like there was plenty of non-permit parking on the street. Location is a little weird (kind of in the middle of a warehouse district) but didn't feel dangerous. If you have a car it's great to be able to park for free in NYC. Breakfast was better than expected- cereal, pastries, waffle maker. My major complaint is the weird pillows- they were like really thick square throw pillows- too thick to sleep on! I had to buy another pillow during my trip. Weird to have uncomfortable pillows at the Comfort Inn!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed there for two nights in August of 2012. The first night I was with another person, the second night I was alone. Even though the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, I felt very safe. My room had been recently renovated and it was pretty nice. It was very clean. Continental breakfast was not bad at all. Cereal, bagels, toast, muffins, donuts and a waffle maker with two different flavors. This hotel really is in the middle of nowhere, getting to the closest train station is hard as it is pretty far and you have to go under a highway something I would never do alone. They do have a free shuttle service to the train station where you can get the F and the G trains. I had to wait 20 minutes for the shuttle though. Once we left, getting to the train station only took about 5 minutes. Customer service was alright. One of the receptionists was polite but not friendly at all. The ladies that were there at night were much friendlier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Worst experience ever! They called me 30mins before arrival to tell me my room been overbooked and given away to someone else. Moved us to another Comfort Inn near LGA 30 mins away without any compensation. And got split up from my other parties staying at that hotel. They even have the audacity to ask me to fit 5 ppl in a 1-bed guest room. I made my reservation 2 weeks before arrival and they could have the courtesy to notify me days before arrival if their hotel is overbook, not after the room is given away.

Great job Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal!!!

I like to applaud the hotel staff at Comfort Inn LaGuardia for their fine work on handling a frustrated customer after their ordeal with Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and making sure we have a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure they don't give away your room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal? Share your experiences!