“Good hotel and location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel BPM - Brooklyn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   139 33rd Street, Brooklyn, NY 11232   |
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Good hotel and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel not too far from anything 15 minutes into Manhattan soho etc ... Rode train to Barclays center it was one stop away. Staff was nice .. Limited parking .. Room service prices are reasonable mini bar as well. Over all I would recommend for the price

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

First of all, let's start with the basics: Very comfortable and very well priced. We got a deal from Hotels.com for about $99 a night and couldn't be more happy. It was a last minute booking (flight was cancelled, twice) and needed to stay 3 more days. They got us set up in minutes and had a great stay. The staff was very nice and professional. I see some other reviews about this hotel and I sometimes wonder if they are just negative and looking for something wrong with everything. I found everything right with them and had a pleasurable stay.
I think people may be turned off by the neighborhood. Yeah, there is no skyline or view, no major department stores or "5 star" restaurants nearby. To the untrained eye, it may appear "sketchy" but there are plenty of nice people and families walking around doing just fine and many "mom and pop" establishments within a few blocks to purchase a good meal or necessities. The subway is 3 blocks away and you are in Manhattan in about 15 minutes. If you are looking to visit New York and want to save some money but stay at nice hotel, get a room here, buy yourself a metro card and explore. Honestly, you won't find a better deal anywhere.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor. Had no problems.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Lancaster, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

The room was small which is expected I guess. Did not look very clean - dirt on the floors. We didn't have towels in our room and it took about a half hour to get them. No where really to get food - a small room service menu. We have stayed in many hotels around the world and this was not a 4 star and not worth the money. And we were in a Deluxe room!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights while on vacation to celebrate New Year's Eve on Manhattan Island and would recommend this hotel. The room was clean and extremely comfortable. Crisp linens and piles of the comfiest pillows you'll ever find. They have a really interesting selection of natural snacks and non-alcoholic beverages available in room. Our room was on the fifth floor and we could only hear the people next door when they were talking in the hallway outside our room. The room was quiet otherwise and neither of us noticed any noise or rumbling from the subway. The staff were all super nice and very accommodating and knowledgeable of the subway routes to get to where we needed to be on the island. The lighting in the washroom is beautiful, but I would have liked to have seen a counter by the sink for our toiletries, etc. It wasn't a big deal for me, though, because there is a large and easily accessible mirror on either side of the bed with a shelf (bed stand) under each.

Some comments have been made about the neighborhood. Being that this was our first trip to NYC we were cautious and didn't know what to expect. The neighborhood looks a little rough around the edges, but we never ever felt unsafe during the day or at night on trips to the local restaurants or the subway station that is located a short three blocks away. I found the neighborhood interesting, vibrant, and charming and the impression I got from the locals was they were genuine, honest, hard working people.

It was extremely easy to get to and from Manhattan Island from the hotel using the subways, which made for an enjoyable trip for my friend and I that is only filled with very good memories of warm and friendly people wherever we went.

I would for sure stay here again and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hayward, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I liked the hotel itself fine. I have no problem with the neighborhood. I never felt threatened or anything like that walking too and from the train.

the hotel itself is fine. only fine, but I'll explain that later. It was NYE and they had a party downstairs. also offer breakfast. We didn't participate in either of those things. It's no slight on BPM, we just don't like people or waking up before 11am.

Our problem was with how thin the walls seem. It would be like 3 or 4 am and doors would be slamming, we'd hear people talking in the hallway. That puts a serious cramp in your ability to sleep in until 11 or 12 and still be fully rested. pack earplugs or stop by Duane Reed to get some.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Rebecca R, Manager at Hotel BPM - Brooklyn, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I am very sorry for your poor stay, NYE was a busy night for the hotel, we had many groups staying with us so a lot of celebrating was going on. I sincerely apologize for the noisy stay. Hopefully you can come visit us again I am sure the stay will be much quieter.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

It is a bit like this hotel was picked up from one of the modern high-end areas of Manhattan and dropped pretty much into a very run-down neighborhood in Brooklyn. One block in every direction there is basically no options for good quality New York food of any kind. The breakfast in the hotel was also pretty lousy and if I didn't have a business engagement to attend in another part of Brooklyn, I would have spent the entire 24 hours in the city stuck at the BPM.

All the ammenities in the BPM are 4-star and it has that nice boutique feel (rooms are comparable to other New York rooms), but not being comfortable walking around outside makes a second stay at the BPM unlikely.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca R, Manager at Hotel BPM - Brooklyn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not met when it came to the neighborhood that we are in, Hotel BPM is leading the way for Sunset Park to begin transitioning and still has some time to become as popular as other Brooklyn neighborhoods like Park Slope, or Williamsburg. However, I wouldn’t say that is necessarily a bad thing, what this neighborhood lacks in aesthetic appeal it gains in authenticity. This neighborhood offers up great Turkish, Latin Caribbean, Central American and South American food. Sunset Park is rich in these cultures and we have never before received complaints about the food in the surrounding area. Restaurants like Taksim, La Parada, La Familia, Big Johns and Spiros just to name a few, serve culturally authentic food, I am not sure what could be more New York than that. This neighborhood’s deep rooted history does not stop there; we are only steps away from the resting place of many influential people buried at Greenwood Cemetery such as Jean-Michel Basquait, Leonard Berstein and Horace Greeley. Getting to any other popular part of Brooklyn or Manhattan is extremely simple since we are only two express stops from Manhattan and we are only 20-30 minutes away from popular Brooklyn areas. I am extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed our services and amenities and I am happy to say that there is more to come very soon. We are definitely working to improve the breakfast menu and the items we have on it. Hopefully you can give us a second chance so can show you what this neighborhood can offer.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel was clean and fixtures updated, but talk about tight space. There absolutely was no counter space in the bathroom so if you are a female, forget about having space to place your toiletries and makeup. I mean there was a one-inch lip around the edge of the sink. That's how bad it was. The shower was adequate and at least had updated fixtures. I stayed in a room with my daughter so we had two suitcases. We could barely walk between the bed and the desk in the room so we had to put our suitcases up next to the exit door to the room and squeeze through the door to get to the outside hallway. The closet was more like a cupboard and not full size so no room to put a suitcase or hang full size coats or dresses. I also did not think the service was outstanding at the front desk and the breakfast in the morning was about like a Holiday Inn Express, but worse. My final summation -- I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Unless they have bigger rooms and bathrooms with counter space, I'm not sure what other tip I co...
Green Features: I certainly didn't experience any environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel BPM - Brooklyn? Share your experiences!