“Great Resource in Brooklyn!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 33rd Street, Brooklyn, NY 11232   |
Ranked #11 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great Resource in Brooklyn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel is a gem for those having to stay in Brooklyn. I was recently deployed from out of state to assist with the Hurricane Sandy recovery efforts, and I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks. I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were helpful, attentive, and professional. They were able to accommodate several laundry and transportation needs I had during my stay, and they did it with a great attitude and a willingness to find a solution. I was never told "no" without the staff trying to find an alternate solution. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paul R, General Manager at Hotel BPM - Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear Henry Y:

We appreciate the review and even more so appreciate the scores of folks that came to the "rescue" here in Brooklyn & NY following the Sandy disaster.

It was a pleasure having you here and we are glad that we made your mission to the area enjoyable.

Look forward to seeing you again and perhaps under a bit better conditions.

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

It is rather amusing to read some guests` impressions of my neighborhood, which appears to be the sticking point, as almost all the reviews post favorable reviews of the hotel. I put myself up in this apartment for a few days back in July, vacating my own apartment for some family and guests of my wedding. The hotel was wonderful. Now, onto the neighborhood. There's a reason many people live in the suburbs. This separation of and creates irrational fears of urban dangers. Folks, I live in this neighborhood. It certainly is not well-off, though it is gentrifying. It is mainly comprised of the working poor, yes the 47 percent, mainly immigrants, who are working their tales of for a better life. A short walk from the hotel puts you in the center of Sunset Park. This vibrant neighborhood, made up mostly of Chinese and Mexican immigrants, has some of the richest and most authentic cuisine in the city. It's a shame that more people don't explore this neighborhood. Anthony Bourdain recently did. Sunset Park, the actual park, affords one best views of New York City. The neighborhood is also a manufacturing powerhouse and contains a fascinating array of factories-a reminder that we actually still make things. Head up the street to Kofte Piyaz for some of the best Turkish food. Yes, many of the folks here are brown, as my wife and I are, but you are so much safer here, as no one targets this area, as it is not a touristy or trendy area, as such areas are marred by far more muggings. I am a teacher and my wife is a lawyer. We love it here. So, step out of the bubble and explore Sunset Park, a slice of real NYC. And, btw, a major opera company just moved to Sunset Park. I realize this is more about my nabe, but it needed to be said.

• Stayed July 2012
Paul R, General Manager at Hotel BPM - Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear James G,

I cannot thank you enough for the carefully thought out and intelligent review you posted. I read it several times since receiving it and wanted to tell you how much it is appreciated by the staff here at Hotel BPM. Many of us live in the area and when we see some of the comments about our neighborhood..well it stings a bit.

You were so right on about your observations and we appreciate you giving us a try. Hopefully we'll see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel is very clean and neat, it looks brand new which I think it is. It also has a cool factor to it.
The best part is the staff, they are amazing. I was there for two weeks and everyone was extremely nice and helpful, they would go out of their way to help, they were all (not the the front desk staff) very friendly and charismatic, always chatting with guests and asking about their day and their plans etc.... Just amazing.
Location is not the best but it's safe, lots of places to eat and a couple blocks from the subway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Steven989092,

Thanks for the review! We encourage our staff to read the reviews and we review them all during our meetings as well. It helps us in reinforcing what we preach; "The Customer Comes First."

I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we can't wait to see you on your next visit.

Be well & Happy Holidays,

Winchester, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I am sure, under normal circumstances this is a great place. The staff are great, and they are doing whatever they can under some challenges lately. I surmise that many of the FEMA sponsored Brookline residents who lost the homes due to Sandy are staying here. Naturally, the open bar may have nothing but beer and wine, and for breakfast, they can run out of milk fast. But what they are doing under some stress is phenomenal. The place is safe, and you can easily walk to the train station. Along the rode, there are some great eating place too. I discovered a fab. Bangladeshi eatery next to the train stop.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kuntal S,

We like to think that even under the worst of circumstances we're pretty darned good :) But I certainly understand your sentiment.

The "Sandy" disaster that hit our area disrupted the lives of millions of people. Here we are 6 weeks later and in the middle of what is our Holiday Season and so many people are still devistated by the events.

We made a pledge early on to help our community as Hotel BPM is a community "proud" and driven property. Our guests staying here have ranged from displaced people to National Guard troops to Contractors traveling from across the US to lend a hand to the Sandy Recovery Effort.

Our "normal" guests deserve a giant salute as well for being compassionate and understanding in the face of everything that has happened.

We're happy to say that all services are restored 110% and we are on track to begin our 24-hour room service before the end of the month.

Thanks for comments.

Quantico, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We found this hotel on Groupon. I wasn't treated badly at all or shoved to the side like most businesses do when you use a Groupon. They treated me well, check in/out was fast. Room was clean and looked just liked the pictures on the website, bathroom clean too! While I was eating the free breakfast (which was perfect to tide me over until lunch), someone asked if they could have something different and the staff made them an omelet. This is my second time visiting NYC and this time was much better. The room was big, when you stay in uptown NYC you pay 500 for basically a tiny bed and no amenities, so this was great and the bed was soooooo comfy. It is great location for people on a budget because it's 3 blocks from the subway and it has direct routes to and from Times Square for only $2.25. I'm a young female and was walking 3 blocks from the subway at 11pm and felt completely safe. In any big city (even right in times square) you are going to see poor people, druggies, people trying to sell dvd's for cheap. But they keep to themselves. I'm originally from Houston, TX and this isn't abnormal, it's not like you're in the middle of Queens or Compton. Just another big city with lots of different people.

Room Tip: Deluxe King was amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Elaine B:

Well we loved having you here as well!

Groupon has been a great way for us to introduce the Hotel to people that might not normally get the chance to visit with us or that might not consider Sunset Park as a venue to stay.

Your Texas charm sure shines through the message of your missive and is much appreciated.

We'll leave the music on for you and anxiously await your next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The staff was friendly and accommodating on all levels. Laura, the well-dressed Receptionist who checked us in, knew both of our names and addressed us by them with every interaction, which added a nice personal touch to our stay.

The bathroom in our room was super cool. The free Netflix and ultra comfy pillows were also pretty amazing.

If ur looking for a modern hotel with old fashion customer service, you need to check this place out!

• Stayed November 2012
Paul R, General Manager at Hotel BPM - Brooklyn, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Sweettiffjones:

Love your "handle" btw :) Thanks for the great review. The delay in responding has to do with our bouncing back from "Sandy."

Your comments are appreciated and welcomed..AND we look forward to seeing you back here someday soon.

Don't be a stranger and we'll leave the music on for you.

Bedford, NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Not at all what we expected. First the positives. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff was polite. Now the negatives. Area around the hotel is very dirty and to say the least skecthy. My wife whitnesses a deal go down just around the corner from the hotel. Only one block from the docks. Cars double parked outside the hotel. People going through garbage piled up on the curb.
If we had not prepaid for a grupon deal we would have not checked in. Breakfast very minimal, people share a bowl of butter, the syrup container, etc. Stairways very dirty, paint stained, and dark. Hotel did not smell good, only in the lobby. Noise outside the hotel kept me up most of the night. Trucks going buy, traffic, a women screaming. Thermostat controls are new but there is not a button for fan only This hotel is overpriced, dont let the website fool you. Keep looking and avoid this hotel..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul R, General Manager at Hotel BPM - Brooklyn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Wongnh,

I'm not big on cut and pasting responses but I'll share something with you that might be useful.

We are definitely in an Urban location and every once in a while we get the "suburb hidden" folk that haven't had much experience outside the "bubble".
Sunset Park (our Brooklyn neighborhood) is definitely not the hood. Sunset Park isn't completely gentrified like its neighbor (Park Slope or Bay Ridge), but there's plenty of gray area between "yuppietown" and "horrid ghetto." I live close and I have never seen or heard anybody do anything threatening and have never personally felt threatened. There are pockets in every neighborhood of Brooklyn that are a tad shady, but nowhere around here is it "the hood."

After reading a couple of reviews that talked about our neighborhood I called our local NYPD Precinct (the 72nd only 3 blocks away) to ask about our local crime. The Detective I spoke to explained that our local area is made up of hard working residents that have the distinction of living in their homes for longer than the average Brooklyn residents and the residents of Sunset Park take ownership of their neighborhood in helping keep crime at a minimum. He reminded me that you can go to 5 star hotels in Manhattan, walk two blocks and see graffiti and get mugged. LOL. I have personally met neighbors on our street that have lived in their homes for over 30 years. On the weekends it's not uncommon to see local kids riding their bikes up the street or having a stick ball game on the corner.

As you might be aware we had storm "issue" here in New York that caused a few "smelly problems" outside the hotel..not inside LOL

...daily we serve farm fresh eggs and cinnamon French toast as entrée items with Hormel thick cut bacon. Bagels are delivered fresh each morning at 6am from our local bakery and Fresh Fruit is delivered daily from our friends at Three Guys From Brooklyn. No individual syrup containers on each table...nor do we use individually wrapped (institutional) butter...we pay a little more..whip it in the kitchen and serve it on our bagel counter...kinda like at home...well my home at least.

Here's wishing you a great Holiday Season and I personally apologize for your less than satisfactory stay..perhaps you'll let us make it up to you someday.
Paul

Been to Hotel BPM - Brooklyn? Share your experiences!