“Excellent food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Benchmark Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #578 of 4,411 restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th ave.
Transit: Take R to Union Street or F to 4th Avenue/9th Street.
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

The menu is original and interesting. Really wide variety satisfied the veg and carnivores among us. We had the pre-fixe menu which was amazingly reasonable. The cocktails are also excellent and worth trying. The entire staff was attentive and cheerful even though they were swamped.
One word of warning, most of their seating is outside so rainy days where you can't sit outside make the wait long. I would stick to sunny days :-)

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

73% Recommend
San Francisco, California
“Jewel discovered in Brooklyn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was visiting Brooklyn on business and my colleague and I started walking around the neighborhood on Fifth Avenue in Brooklyn and happened across a charming indoor/outdoor restaurant. What a find did we stumble upon. The menu was creative and made me curious to try as much as possible, but I settled on the fois gras appetizer and another appetizer of three different preparations of short ribs. Both was excellent and satisfied my appeitite. It has been over ten years since I have had such a remarkable dining experience. The service, the ambiance, and especially the flavors I savored were outstanding. It was a Monday night and they had 50% of any bottle of wine. What a deal! I was so impressed, I had to tell the chef first hand how much I enjoyed his cuisine. Coming from San Francisco, I'm surrounded by great restaurants, but Benchmark zoomed up to the top of my charts. Can't wait to go to Brooklyn again!

• Visited June 2012
Brooklyn, New York
“A lovely setting for a restaurant with interesting history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

When I first saw the building that houses the restaurnat, I felt I could have been in a small town, or pehaps europe.......but not in the heart of Park Slope. This former ice house has delicious food, great wine and excellent service

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great discovery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This restaurant offers free desert to members of the Brooklyn Museum and BAM. I'm so glad I visited Benchmark as it is now one of my favorites. Had a wonderful lunch and look forward to being seated at their outdoor seating area.

• Visited April 2012
Brooklyn, New York
“Just had a lovely brunch at Benchmark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I've been her a couple of times for lunch/dinner and enjoyed those meals very much. Just had brunch for the first time and I think it will be our new go-to place on lazy Sunday mornings. There are few outdoor dining areas this pretty and spacious in brownstone Brooklyn. As a result, there were a lot of families with young babies, but no one seemed to mind; everyone has their own space. I had the bagel with salmon and a small salad. Very high quality salmon; extremely good, although I don't think I'll need to eat smoked salmon for the next few days. Others at our table had chocolate chip pancakes (good but a tad underdone) and eggs benefit (good but not the perfect Hollandaise, which in any case is really hard to find anywhere). The bellinis and bloody marys were good and pretty strong! All in all a nice way to spend the morning. Oh, and no reservations are taken for brunch, so arrive before noon unless you want to wait!

• Visited April 2012