“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of McCarren Hotel & Pool, Chelsea Hotels

Save Saved
You added McCarren Hotel & Pool, Chelsea Hotels to your Saves list
McCarren Hotel & Pool, Chelsea Hotels
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 N 12th St, Brooklyn, NY 11249 (Formerly King & Grove Williamsburg)   |
Special Price
Advance Purchase Offer
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I rated this very good and not just average because I really liked the staff . . . otherwise I would have given it an average rating. I booked a Superior King with a balcony - in NY that doesn't mean what I thought it meant. The room was small, my husband and I had to turn sideways to pass in front of the bed. We usually stay with my daughter in her 2 bedroom apartment in Williamsburg that's about the size of a postage stamp, so this room was better than that since we were staying 4 nights. Our room was on the street side and was somewhat noisy. One night around 11:30 p.m. for about 20 minutes I heard loud music. I thought the radio in the room had gone off it was that loud. It's within a very easy walk to the subway and places to eat and have coffee. Parking is not available but just next door you can park daily for $22 so we did that and had no problem getting the car out at 7:30 a.m. when we checked out. The hotel gym seemed to be a work in progress, not much in the way of cardio. One of the treadmills wasn't even working. We made do.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
King and Grove W, Manager at McCarren Hotel & Pool, Chelsea Hotels, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you didn't find our rooms large enought, on your next stay with us, I suggest our Delxue Kings they are almost 300 sq ft adn very large.

I am very happy to let you know that our Gym is about a month away from being totally refinished. I can assure you you will be very pleased with the redo of it.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the Fall when our restaurant is open.

J Bogorad, Reception Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had such high expectations before arriving. So many great things happening in Brooklyn and thought this would be one of them. Really well designed hotel from an interiors perspective. But a let-down from a hospitality point-of-view. Breakfast was boring. I don't eat dairy and the waitress offered me yogurt as a substitute. The jam was in a squirt packet. Internet seemed slow. The paper Do Not Disturb hanger looked like it had been stepped and used as a napkin. With a price tag of well over $300 I exect more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of King & Grove Williamsburg. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

I am very sorry however that our Breakfast Server didn’t have the correct response regarding your dairy free request. I too was not a fan of our Do Not Disturb signs and I am happy to report that our Do No Disturb Cards have been updated and are changed throughout the hotel.

Our new Restaurant will open in mid-Spring and we would love to welcome you back and hopefully change your impression of us. Please feel free to contact my office directly and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,
Collegeville, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend getaway to visit my son. The hotel and rooms are very nice, clean and modern. Loved the bar and dining area, although it was kind of quiet on that weekend and there wasn't much of a bar scene. The hotel staff could not be more friendly and accommodating. Everyone was talkative and helpful. The bathrooms featured some very cool showers and fixtures. Our room had a nice iPhone docking station/radio. The rooftop area was closed for some renovations, so I was a little disappointed that we couldn't check it out. Definitely coming back.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the pool area - very cool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your reveiw of King & Grove Williamsburg. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Happilly last week the construction crew began the enclosed roof top, which should be done by the 2nd week of January. I look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy that as well as the Restauant will begin in full service in mid Spring.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Close to the city in a friendly and warm neighborhood with LOTS of restaurants! We stayed here for one night after Hurricane Sandy and our experience was so special! As New Yorkers, we know all about hotels, but this one took our breath away. The room was cozy, with a great bed, and the staff was very professional. We also loved the breakfast! We accidentally left our door ajar, and security even came up to make sure we closed it before falling asleep. You can't go wrong with this hotel!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were stranded during Sandy this week in the best little hotel in NYC. The staff has been professional(exhausted), patient(exhausted), caring(exhausted) and absolutely wonderful. Food= very good. Turn down= great. Cleanliness= excellent. But, above all shines the attitude and spirit of those who work here. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review. It was very kind of you to give us your feedback. I am glad you had some comfort in your stay during Hurricane Sandy.
I was happy to read that you were pleased with the staff. They worked long hours and had difficult commutes during that time but they put their best effort forward.
We look forward to welcoming you again.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place tries incredibly hard to be trendy--multiple bars, a Fellini flick playing 24/7 in the lobby, Ikea-chic design. But the execution is as bad as I've ever seen. We had the displeasure of being pushed into 3 rooms in 4 days (our first room smelled like garbage, and despite housekeeping's suggestion to "just open a window," we asked to be moved). In every one of the 3 rooms, multiple important items were broken: toilets, light switches, light bulbs, outlets, shower drains, showerheads. I have no idea how that is possible in a hotel that's barely a year old. Other than the suites, the rooms are so small that there is barely any room to open your suitcase--and forget getting any work done, since the desk is a 12" shelf with a short stool.

On to the hip part. The location is in the middle of Williamsburg, which any self-respecting Williamsburg resident will tell you is the coolest place on earth. King & Grove tries hard to fit into this mold, but it doesn't seem to understand where it really is -- for example, its rooftop bar was pitch-dark and blaring Madonna until 3am (which, by the way, you could hear from every room in the hotel). More people stepped out of the elevator, stared around in disgust, and immediately left than stayed for a drink. On one weekend night, the rooftop bar simply didn't open for business. The other hotel amenities also seemed to open and close on whatever schedule they felt like. While the staff was, for the most part, very nice, there is no way they could overcome how lousy this place is.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I would like to thank all the staff at the King & Grove Williamsburg hotel for the excellent service I received during my 5 day stay at your hotel. When I arrived I was greeted with a welcoming attitude and was immediately assisted with my luggage, as well as, checking into my room quickly. I had reserved a queen room and was pleasantly surprised that it had a balcony. Since I had arrived late I decided to order room service which was delivered timely. The chicken sandwich and beet salad was delicious!! During my stay I had breakfast each morning and was always greeted and served in a timely manner. Loved the coffee and muffins especially and their prices were very reasonable too. The front desk also offered me help on how to get around and what they recommended to see in Brooklyn. They also gave me a map of the East Ferry Schedule which I used a few times to travel to Manhattan. Loved it, got to 34th in about 15 minutes from Wiliamsburg stop. Again, thank you for your warm and excellent service during my stay. I look forward to my next visit at the King & Grove Williamsburg hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to McCarren Hotel & Pool, Chelsea Hotels? Share your experiences!