“Good buy in Park Slope” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 59 Hotels in Brooklyn
Falmouth, MA
“Good buy in Park Slope”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We spent two nights at the Union Hotel for a family get together. Our King Room was on a corner, (304) and quiet. Contrary to other reviews, we found the staff very helpful and responsive to requests. The room was not large, but clean as we're the hallways, etc. 4th avenue isn't the most picturesque part of Park Slope, but easy walk to great restaurants and shops on 5th and "up the slope" as you go towards the park. We had no safety concerns and the price, under $200 per night, was a great bargain for the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BetsyD

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is new, nice and clean, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. It was just surprising how small the room was. I booked the room online so it would help if the online description was a bit more detailed. We had a full size bed but could not even walk all the way around the bed as it was up in the corner next to the wall. But having said that, the bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask about the room size!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SilverCircleTravel
Salt Lake City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Please note that the images on the Union Hotel website are renderings of what "it could" look like. The rooms were so small that we could not get around the bed. The walls were paper thin and we had to listen to our neighbors music all night. The hallways have no heat - and we were there in December. There is no lobby, just a small closet for checking in. The shower was really gross - it looked like it had been repaired several times with various colors of caulk which made it look like vomit. Finally, all of the receipts and change from the previous occupant filled the drawers. I would not stay here again. The only reason that I gave it a 2 was because the breakfast (located a block away) was free and tasty - and the owners of the restaurant were really friendly. And, one of the people at the front desk was fairly helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Matt M
unionhotelbrooklyn, Manager at Union Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hello. We first like to apologize to you. We have checked the room in question and haven't found any trace of what you were referring to. Next time you are around, taxi and dinner is on us if we find something not to your liking.

Travelers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The room was very small to the point that the door only opens halfway because the bed is there. The ac/heater is touching the bed. When it turns on it wakes you up at night. The bathroom is ok but you have to wait for a while for the water to get hot. The only great thing is that the place where you get your complimentary breakfast is really nice and the people are friendly. I paid $130.00 for 1 night. I think that a room like that should be much cheaper.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank Kazuo19
Please make sure you select the room of your preference when booking. Our smallest and least expensive rooms as outlined on our sites are 140 Square Feet and our larger Queen and King Rooms are from 175-200 Square feet and carry a price with a 10% premium.

Best
Cheshire, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked a "small Queen" room at Union Hotel because I was going to a concert at the Barclay's Center with a friend and we wanted a place to stay overnight. Check in was easy, albeit a little crowded because the lobby is tiny. I expected the room to be small and it definitely was (the bed took up most of the room) but it was all we needed for one night. The room was clean, the shower was hot and the bed was comfy.

I totally recommend this if you're going to Barclays Center and just want a decent place to stay over. It's within walking distance, it's a great price, and the neighborhood is decent enough that my friend and I had no issues walking back from the concert after midnight when we couldn't get a cab. Plenty of places to get food nearby too! I probably wouldn't stay here for more than a night or two but for our purposes it was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Davana B
NEW YORK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Please do not disregard negative reviews of this hotel.

I made a reservation for 1 night and arrived to check-in and was told they could not honor my reservation due to a flood. No one at the hotel had the decency to call me to make me aware of this prior to my arrival. To make matters worse and add insult to injury, I was charged for the room. This place has the worst customer service. At the hotel I dealt with Michael B. and he was rude, unprofessional and out right disrespectful. When I showed him on my phone that I was charged for the room, he told me "what do you want me to do about it?", "Do I look like the accounting department?" The audacity of this man after I traveled to this establishment and was left in the cold with no room. I have been trying to contact Jacob, the Union Hotel General Manager to no avail. Every time I call, he is never at the hotel and he has not returned my emails. I am now going to take it up with my bank and get their help in righting this very wrong. I will be calling AAA to make sure they do not deal with this hotel and writing a review on every and any hotel review website possible. Shame on you, Union Hotel, Michael B, front desk clerk and Jacob, GM. Customer service does not exist at this establishment.

BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank JENNIFER T
Hello,

We want to apologize for the plumbing issue at our property. However, we promptly transferred you to another hotel via a free taxi and duly gave you a full refund.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We checked in and I understood it was going to be small but this was ridiculous. The bed was full size not queen like we were supposed to have and we had no privacy at all our room was right behind the check in. Never coming back here. Not to
Mention the bed is basically on the floor felt like I was sleeping on a futon.

• Stayed February 2013
9 Thank Boston2517
Hello,

Please check our website at www.unionhotelnyc.com. Real pics are up. Please make sure to choose the room of your preference as photos match rooms for size on our site.