“Why you should choose or not choose” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SAVE 20% 2015 BOOKINGS
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Kingston, Jamaica
“Why you should choose or not choose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

About 40 percent less than one of the cheapest hotel in manhantan,
Free breakfast (coffee,tea,orange juice,apple juice,fruits,bagel,bread,choice of cereals pastries etc
Free Internet, free shuttle to times square (remember to book it, and not on saturdays this is their sabbath,)friendly helpful willing to please front desk staff.safe to walk to subway 8 minutes.
Hasidic Jews in neighborhood not friendly, no surrounding night life, no restaurants,neighborhood not kept clean but safe to walk at nights

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Monica K, Front Office Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello and thank you for leaving us a review on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in making sure that all of our guests feel comfortable and secure during their time. We hope to welcome you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
worcestershire uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I picked this hotel in Brooklyn after realising that hotels in Manhattan are very expensive and not that good. To be fair, everything that is said about this hotel on Tripadvisor is pretty much spot on.. it is a clean hotel that offers very good service in an area of Brooklyn that is predominantly Jewish.... if you want a good base for exploring New York, that is clean, with spacious rooms, around 7 min walk to the G line subway ( with further 35 min or so journey into central NY) then you wont go wrong with the Pointe Plaza. Staff were helpful and friendly, included breakfast was more than adequate, extras such as coffee in the lobby and free internet was a bonus, as was the complimentary shuttle every morning into Times Square. Overall, had a very good stay here, and would certainly recommend to others.

Room Tip: Breakfast is served in a room on the 5th floor, from 6 am onwards, so possibly best to avoid this fl...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hello and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take much pride in making sure that all of our guests feel comfortable and happy during their stay. We hope to welcome you in the future.
Wavre, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I've seen many comments talking about the jewish neighborhood before booking Pointe Plaza, but personnaly I've never felt bad about them. What I remind from my stay is how lovely the personnel is, upgrading me because of my troubles with my Greyhound bus cancelled and my late arrival (thanks US Customs), welcoming me by giving me NY and metro' maps, explaining how to reach Manhattan North and South the quickest way, and always providing good advice. I've never be welcomed so warmly.
By the way : don't stand in front of the hotel to wait for a cab, ask receprionist to call a limo, it's quicker and cheaper than those crazy yellow cabs you can find in Brooklyn...
Definitely the place I'll stay for my next trip to NY City...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica K, Front Office Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hello and thank you so much for such a detailed and positive feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in ourselves to make every guest feel comfortable and at ease during their stay as well as keeping the hotel spic and span the same as if it were at your home. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we wish to welcome you in the future.
Borgå
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed there, my husband and I, at the end of our honeymoon from 21-26th of Sept. We arrived late night and felt dreadful after queuing at the "#%=)# passport check at JFK for 2,5h. We were greeted by a friendly female receptionist who were quick in her actions and suprisingly upgraded us from a regular room to a suite with separate bedroom and large kitchenette with dining table and sofa. This was very welcomed and meant A LOT for us honeymooners! We found the immediate hotel surrounding clean and the insterioe of the hotel had very nicely schemed colouring with clean surfaces and modern interior. It was peaceful for the eye. I always likes shades of brown and gold! =) Our room was a big suite with high ceiling which was a positive extra touch. We liked the furniture and the overall room quality. The fridge and micro was very useful to us as we ordered in quite a few times. The recpetion was eager to assist with ofood ordering options. The hotel was quite far from the closest subway and it was only after halfway through our stay that we were told about the bus that takes you from right behind the corner on Flushing street to the best shopping area in Brooklyn! The bus stopped on Jay street just one block from the subway to Manhattan! Busing from the hotel to Jay street and taking the subway from Jay street to Manhattan became the best option for us to move around. I mean there was always enough energy to walk TO the subway in the mornings but just the thought of having to walk back from the subway to the hotel after 8 hours of walking around Manhattan was not tempting. The area in itself was very quiet and peaceful with the majority being religious people's homes. The computers in the business center were very slow and one could hear doors closing 24/7. The doors close extremely loud and I would suggest you put some hydraulics on each door to make them close slower. Not with a BANG. In the bathroom we missed a shelf or two for our necessities and the beds were too short for us. We are both around 172 cm and our feet peeked over the edge of the bed. The beds were also way too soft for our backs. We found it strange that the shuttle van would take us to Manhattan but not back in the afternoon or evening.... The room TV had good channels but the image was of poor quality. You need to ask for utencils and kitchen necessicites from the front desk! The room maid must have been distracted because every second day our bed covers would be upside down and every second correct. The day cover and decoration pillow would also be on the bed every second day but every second day they were left on the armchair we put them on when going to bed every night. All the other staff were also very friendly and helped us with whatever question we had. We were lucky to experience Brooklyn, the hip area of Williamsburg and the interesting Hasidic Jews as we would not have experienced any of those, had we stayed at Manhattan. Don't hesitate to get to know the centre of shopping in Brooklyn! We felt safe whenever we would be there shopping and made great bargains there!

Room Tip: We stayed at room 401 which faced the inner yard. The view was only to Franklin avenue and our room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hello and thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We were very happy to upgrade you to a better room fit for "honeymooners" . We take pride in ourselves to make every guest feel comfortable and at ease during their stay. We really do try to accommodation all of our guests as best we can. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we wish to welcome you in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

HOTEL:
Well The Pointe Plaza Hotel what can I say? First of all the smell........AMAZING.....Every time my daughter and I walked through the front door, out of our room, EVERYTIME the smell of a fresh day spa emanated throughout the halls and the elevators. Initially when we arrived via the G-Train we went the wrong way (ratchet HOPSTOP instructions) or rather I am not skilled in the area of North West, East West, just give me a cool turn left, turn right, go straight, and I'm good. Anyway I finally broke down and called the hotel and Anna (I think was her name) tried desperately to help us get there on foot, but then I asked her to call us a "cab" (stay tuned) so she gave me the number and the guy said someone would be by within 3 minutes and he was.......HOWEVER..........what appeared was not a cab in the “traditional” sense. It was a gentleman in a crown victoria (or other police looking car) and I was terrified yet I had to go with my instincts and chose to believe that surely the Pointe Plaza Hotel was not re-enacting a scene from the movie Taken with us in the starring roles, soooooooo we got in………after I took photos of plates, the driver, the car etc. etc. and emailed to my husband "smile" (just in case ya’ll)…….. And we were off & literally arrived within 3 mins. Anna gave me no hassles what so ever (we got there before actual check in) and although there was some question about our reservation & us having a TV or not she honored what we had been quoted and what we had been told when we made the reservation on the phone and worked it out.

BREAKFAST/HOUSE KEEPING/SHUTTLE/DRIVER SERVICE
The bagels are a must have I believe the come from the Jewish bakery, hot, fresh, soft or the traditional chewy version they were excellent. The lady from house keeping who monitored the breakfast room was sweet as she could be. Sometimes people just need a smile from you, it takes the edge off & opens everyone up. The Shuttle was on time and got us in town quite quickly. The "cab" AKA driver service was fast & affordable. We used them to eat at a great spot in Williamsburg called Sea. They took us there and back $16 no long waiting & the fare was great for the convenience and quality.

SAFETY:
ARE YOU KIDDING? That is an understatement! We were stationed smack dab in the Hasidic community and while the folk sort of look through you rather than at you & my smile and say hello motto did not EVER work on any one of men, women or children that I repeatedly practiced on, I still knew or chose to believe that if anyone had tried any funny business with me or my daughter they would have been hard pressed to get away with it because lovely's, ALL eyes were on us. I'm sure the brown in our skin helped to take that to new heights as we walked freely around the neighborhood and in the Hasidic run stores. We're talking little, little, little babies running up and down the street in the dark, playing, pushing other little, little babies in strollers and no parental in sight! It was beyond safe & fascinating, and as much as they stared at us, I found myself unable not to stare back.

GOING BACK!
YES, YES, YES!!! My Atlanta buddies were a bit concerned about the area and us walking at night after leaving the city, but honestly it couldn't be safer or cleaner. This place is “winning”!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent 9 nights at the Pointe Plaza Hotel and the location was perfect for us. The area was an interesting experience as it was in the heart of a Jewish community. The locals aren't keen on the tourists and did give us funny looks, the men ran across the road when they saw us coming but as two females, walking alone in the dark, I felt very safe in this area. Which was as important as the quality of the hotel.
The nearest underground was a bit further than we had imagined by looking at the map at the time of booking, but it wasn't a problem. It was about 10 minutes walk and we got to see the area of Williamsburg and some of the other areas of Brooklyn as well instead of just Manhattan. To us it was the perfect location.

The reception staff at the hotel were the absolute highlight!! The girls working in the mornings always had a smile on their faces and always had time for a quick chat, in the evenings the boys always greeted us with a smile. The reception provided maps and advice and answered all the silly questions we had.
The cleaning staff, however, was rude and unfriendly. I always greeted them, and barely got a grunt back. The first morning, we left a "Do not disturb" sign outside, and they still helped themselves in. Where I come from, it means "Keep away!". The first morning, the room got a thorough cleaning, they even took our drinking glasses away which we hadn't even used, and didn't provide any clean ones. After that the cleaning went downhill, they came in to change the sheets (which we didn't want, and told them so by leaving the note on the bed as requested) but left everything else. Shampoo bottle didn't get replaced, but kept leaving multiple bottles of lotion which we obviously weren't using. The drinking glasses (which I had to ask for twice), they didn't touch at all after complaining about it. They kept leaving the dirty glasses and just rearranging them in a neat line.. Ok, great, it looked tidy, but you have just gone and touched my drinking glass with possibly dirty hands... Nice.. And the last night, my friend's bed didn't have a sheet on. She decided to sleep on it anyway because it was late when we got in and we weren't in the mood to start waiting for someone to make the bed properly.

But even with the issues with the cleaners, I still recommend this hotel!! Don't be put of by that, because rest of the staff is lovely and the hotel is clean, rooms are big with massive, comfortable beds and kitchenettes! We were more than happy to stay there! Great value for money!

Breakfast was adequate, bit of a poor continental. It did lack sandwich meat and vegetables. I would've liked cucumber or tomatoes or something with my sandwich, we did get fed up with eating bread and cheese every day, there was no variety (unless you wanted to eat cereal and yoghurt instead). We did grab a cup of coffee with us a couple of mornings and got breakfast elsewhere. But it was free breakfast so can't complain too much=) It just lacked variety but what we got, it was very nice! We did stay for 9 nights so eating the same thing every morning, started getting a bit boring.

If or when I get a chance to go back to New York, I would definitely stay there again. NYC is massive and really never does sleep so it was nice to get away from the city to wind down.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Monica K, General Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are extremely happy to learn that you were pleased with your stay and would come back for another visit. As for the housekeeping, we feel terrible and i wish you would have perhaps mentioned something while you were here so we could have taken the proper action. Once again we do truly apologize about this matter. We take pride in providing our guests with the utmost service that meets their individual needs. We are glad that you found the area to be safe and were satisfied with what the neighborhood has to offer.
We hope to welcome you again!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at the Pointe Plaza Hotel for 5nights towards the ending of march 2012. This hotel is defiantly somewhere I would recommend To anybody especially if your not ready to pay Ridiculous city prices.

Firstly the staff are extremely friendky and always seek to help you with any queries you may have. The hotel also offers a free shuttle bus that takes you direct to times square at 9am every morning. The driver that took us was also very friendly. Bear in mind you will have to book the shuttle bus the night before.

In terms of transportation to the city. We used the flushing Avenu subway. Its all abit confusing at first as the city subway system is all done through a lettering system. But new Yorkers are extremely friendly. The subway is about 5-8 minutes awat from the hotel
I'm not 100% sure on the buses as We never used them

The rooms that we stayed in we're extremely clean aswell. We had very comfortable queen sized bed's! Also the ceilings are very high! Also the Manhattan Skyline Views Were BREATHTAKING! Honestly i would recommend getting a room on the TOP Floor!

We also had a mini kitchenette. However there are no pots, pans or cutlery for use (which seems a bit pointless) but never the less the ladies at the reception provides us with plastic paper plates and cutlery.

The bathroom and toilet are also very clean. And believe me the hot water is HOT!!!

The hotel is situated in the Jewish area of Brooklyn. So you WILL see a lot of Jewish families around. At first the area does seen a bit run down and even 'unsafe' but honestly the area is completely fine. I saw a t little kids playing together at around 7/8pm.

In terms of the breakfast offered. It is very simple. Toast, bagles, croissants , coffee, juice and an assortment of breakfast cereals is basiclly whats on offer
The breakfast room is on the seventh or eight8 th floor in a normal sized room. Whilst we stayed there a member of the hotel staff would constantly greet us and ask us if we needed any help which was nice

Also the hotel offered free complimentary hot drinks At the reception for all guests! We the British love TEA!

Overall I would give my stay at the Pointe Plaza a 4.5 out of 5. The hotel really is a haven. Great staff, great room and a generally great experience

I have a youtube channel where i vlogged my entire trip: here's the link to the video. Hope you enjoy

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thank you so much for such a detailed and positive feedback on your recent stay at the Pointe Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in ourselves to make every guest feel comfortable and at ease during their stay. The youtube video by the way was awesome so thank you for that! We really do try to accommodation all of our guests as best we can. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we wish to welcome you in the future.

Been to Pointe Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!